do parallax issues matter shooting hmr

snipers eye

hi folks,im using a hawke 6-24x50 on my 455 16" barrel hmr,do i need to concern myself with parallax issues shooting out to 100-150yrds,reason for asking is i like to be as accurate as is possible,and if this parallax thing means i could be more accurate,then i need to know,thanks folks

thanks lads for replies,but if i were to leave my scope set on 6 or 12 mag, there would be no need to have a 24 mag scope,i bought the 24 mag for long range bunny head shots,now if i cant use the full mag,its just extra weight,guess ill just have to flog it and go lower,a bit disappointing :sad1:

thanks lads for replies,but if i were to leave my scope set on 6 or 12 mag, there would be no need to have a 24 mag scope,i bought the 24 mag for long range bunny head shots,now if i cant use the full mag,its just extra weight,guess ill just have to flog it and go lower,a bit disappointing :sad1:

Keep it simple 6x42 no parallax. I use s&b great glass

You don't need 24X magnification to head shoot a rabbit at 150 yards. I do it all the time on 8X. 10 or 12 is ample. Its your eyes that need to adjust, I suspect to an unaccustomed distance, not the scope. If you're shooting rabbits without extra illumination or NV, a lot of it will be done in low light when you'll have to wind the mag down to the optimum exit pupil anyway to make the most of the available light. It is better to train yourself to shoot at realistic magnification levels for live quarry and not get dependent on high mag which is restrictive.

I have a 4-12 X 56 on my HMR. It stays on 8X except when zeroing when taking it up to 12 makes the strikes easier to see.

Edited by Gimlet

I might be wrong in what I'm saying but I was under the impression the parallax was for adjusting the focus at a given range. It shouldn't matter what mag you are at but you just set the parallax to what ever range you are shooting at and then use the mag you can see the target best at.

I have a parallax scope on my .22 I personally never change it, it stays at about 50 yards all the time. For HMR I would guess leave it at around 100 yards.

I might be wrong in what I'm saying but I was under the impression the parallax was for adjusting the focus at a given range. It shouldn't matter what mag you are at but you just set the parallax to what ever range you are shooting at and then use the mag you can see the target best at.

I have a parallax scope on my .22 I personally never change it, it stays at about 50 yards all the time. For HMR I would guess leave it at around 100 yards.

I could be wrong to, scopes with parallax adjustments is to help focus and to stop any parallax error, so if your using a fixed or very mag scope which has got parallax adjustment, they will have a pre set distance. so on a 6x42 s&b its set to a 100 yards(I think) which would mean shooting at a distance less the an 100 yd could mean that your scope will have parallax error.

A friend of mine whos an air rifle shooter help me to understand it. But I don't get to hung up on it all, its just nice to understand it and be aware of it.

atb

simon

I leave mine on 8X mag and paralax set at 100 yards and point and shoot but the other day I had a rabbit in long grass I couldn't see to well as it was blending in with the shrub behind it so I upped the mag enough to be able to see it well and had to just do a minor adjustment on the parralax - nothing too complicated, that's why the parralax usually has the yardage written on it...

thanks all again for replies,just another query,if i use say 20 mag and turn the side focus wheel until the target is clear,does that mean then im parallax free?

In theory, yes. But you really needn't worry about parallax adjustment on an HMR. Most non-adjustable scopes have parallax set at 100 metres (110 yards), which will be perfect for everything you'll do with that rifle.

thanks all again for replies,just another query,if i use say 20 mag and turn the side focus wheel until the target is clear,does that mean then im parallax free?

No, parallax (the movement of the crosshair in relation to the eye position) is linked to focus but it is not the same. Parallax can be negated some by correct eye alignment (looking directly down the scope centre)but that's hard to do 100% keeping both eyes open helps, smaller objective lenses also. I am with others on the mag level 8x is more than useable to 200 yards shooting bunnies in the head 100/8= 25, if you cannot see a bunnies head at 25 yards with the naked eye you need an optician not a higher magnification scope.

The problem with high mag scopes is they are like a drug and hard things to wean yourself off, but for such uses as mentioned only of psychological help

lads i really appreciate all your help,to those who say keep the mag on 8 or 10,what's the point then of having a big heavy 24 mag scope,would i be better off getting a smaller one something like a 3-9x50 4-12x50??,thanks all.

Edited by snipers eye

If you get your cheek weld correct and always look through the center of the scope, as you should do, you will have no discernable parallax error. So, to go back to my post at #2, set the parallax at 100 yards, use whatever may you like and go out and shoot the ruddy thing.

The more time you spend twiddling silly little knobs the less chance you have of shooting anything.

If you get your cheek weld correct and always look through the center of the scope, as you should do, you will have no discernable parallax error. So, to go back to my post at #2, set the parallax at 100 yards, use whatever may you like and go out and shoot the ruddy thing.

The more time you spend twiddling silly little knobs the less chance you have of shooting anything.[/quote

I've been guilty of that in the past seduced by pa knobs variable mag mil dots or bc reticule. Gone back to 6x42 s&b on most of my rifles now and a 8x56 reserved for my new fox deer gun. Still hit thing well need to select targets for zeroing because the reticule is quite heavy no parallax issues with a good fitting rifle for me.

In my limited experience,if you want a high magnification scope(and I do too)you really need to spend a bit of money. I use a Zeiss conquest 6.5-20 on my .22(love to get up close whether on bunnies or targets)and you set the side focus to the distance you're shooting at and I think that will deal with any parallax error. Don't skimp on optics.

lads i really appreciate all your help,to those who say keep the mag on 8 or 10,what's the point then of having a big heavy 24 mag scope,would i be better off getting a smaller one something like a 3-9x50 4-12x50??,thanks all.

There is some point to it when it comes to target work and or watching heat haze, with a variable you can always wind it down though fair point about big and heavy (though that's more to do with objective and build size). Tonight I have been sat out waiting with my 6-18 variable turned down to 6x for field of view and light gathering- the bait was at 150 yards and guess were the shot presented? About 20 yards and that field of view and instant focus got the job done! If I was faced with a difficult very long shot I could always turn things up, watch the wind, parallax in and dial the dope etc. I was actually snapping in on a few hares as they played in the field a little earlier in my wait at around 200yards on 6x the head would have presented just fine enough if I had wanted or needed to send a bullet their way 200/6=33 yards. Its a harder mental shift than a physical one to reduce your magnification setting or scope.

I used to use a 4x20 scope years ago and loved it, low mounts. Zero and forget. Moved onto a 6-12x40 hated it, forever fiddling with it.

Figgy

+1 on that

Nikko sterling, cross hairs move when adjusting, parker hale tip off mounts, on a 222/12 tikka.

Been a bit of a journey after that , but never improved over that setup