Clay snobbery....and an excuse to buy a new shotty

death from below

A pump action at a clay ground....now that is quality.....Just like the only fools and horses episode when del goes to the pheasant shoot with a sawn off pump....And you are right....its not really what someone is shooting with....a £30,000 purdy is no different to a £150 Baikal if the shooter cant hit the target.

DFB

One of the guys at our club has a very expensive gun that he bought from the police. It had been cut down and used in a robbery. It is just on the legal limit for length of barrel and needless to say he gets a lot of ribbing for his 'open chokes' :)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

shoot what feels good i would nt buy an ou just to please them as long as you play safe thats all that matters,******* that annoys me why should any body look down thier nose at anybody with a semi,people should be encouraged to shoot with a single barrel if that is all they can afford.i think this kind of nonsense puts people off,i too have had it in the past at dtl,the result i dont go near the tossers any more,instead i give my money to the local skeet range nobody there minds autosSHOOT WHAT YOU CAN AFFORD AND FITS YOU,ANYBODY LAUGHS OR SAYS ANYTHING OUT OF SORTS TELL THEM TO ****OFF

I like your style vermin......A bloke who does not mince his words......I think the ones(and to be truthful there aren't many of that type) who do look down their noses are probably just distressed 'casue they've witnessed my clays exploding whilst theres continue unharmed until they reach the safety of the ground.

DFB

:)

Agreed too! I use my black Benelli semi for clays, hell sometimes I even use my black Mossberg pump action. If you want to annoy some people try that for a go :lol:

Last year I did dtl with it, the bloke next to me was friendly but made a kind of "good luck with that thing" kind of comment. Didnt seem quite some amused when I battered his score easily :yes:

I also find it quite amusing to take my synthetic stocked Mossberg pump action out clayshooting. There's always a few people who give you a look disgust but that always puts a smile on my face, plus as you say, it's even better when you out-shoot them :) .

The thing is on a clay ground you have a lot of Guns around, some you don't know from Adam and have no idea how safe they are - we've all seen some muppets out there. I'm always a bit more wary when a guy turns up with a semi-auto, nothing to with snobbery - I just don't think an SA has any place at an open clay ground.

The thing is on a clay ground you have a lot of Guns around, some you don't know from Adam and have no idea how safe they are - we've all seen some muppets out there. I'm always a bit more wary when a guy turns up with a semi-auto, nothing to with snobbery - I just don't think an SA has any place at an open clay ground.

I think this fairly sums up the way a lot of clay shooters feel about semi autos.

Whilst I don't mind them being used on clays, I do keep a close eye on whoever is using the gun.

Too many are carried around between stands with the breech closed.

I have had shooters standing behind me waiting at a stand waving a closed semi about.

Speak to them about it (politely) and you frequently get an aggressive response, which justifies your concern about their general attitude.

I don't know these shooters, how safe they are etc., at least with a "broken" gun you can see its empty.

I think it has more to do with self preservation safety issues, than "snobbery".

Speak to them about it (politely) and you frequently get an aggressive response, which justifies your concern about their general attitude.

Have I missed something? I did'nt realise a section of our fellow shooters were that different to the rest of us, maybe when one of our colleagues decides to use a semi his personality changes and becomes a danger to everyone around him, except when he uses his sbs or o/u of course. :stupid::stupid::stupid:

I haven't been to any clay ground where anyone ever gives a monkeys what you are shooting. Most shooters are generally interested in guns full stop - so when the Mossberg pump comes out there is normally a queue of people who want a go or at least want to rack it. 9/10 people then want to rack it single handed - Chuck Norris stylee. Fair enough if it's empty and fun. Incidentally I shot a round of DTL with it and managed to get a couple of successful second shots off (much laughter and applause) - but the overall score for the round was of course miserable.

I also have 12g and 20g semis which are excellent tools for the job - the AL 391 is perhaps the easiest gun to shoot and is the best all rounder I have.

Anyhows, and I digress, I have a relative arsenal of proper guns and fun guns and no one has ever given me a snotty look. It's in your head.

However, the points made on safety are valid. I have seen all sorts but the normal one is the old Dirty Harry did I fire 1, 2 or 3 shots? Semis are a bit iffy for the visual inspection to see if they are loaded. When I take novices out I don't let them anywhere near a semi auto. Moving on, I have no idea how experienced and or clever at counting other people are. So, if I see a semi owner with the breach shut / no flag I voice my concerns with humour "it looks like your've got a semi that's about to go off.... oh, and I see the breach is closed on your gun". Job done and no one gets angry.

Have I missed something? I did'nt realise a section of our fellow shooters were that different to the rest of us, maybe when one of our colleagues decides to use a semi his personality changes and becomes a danger to everyone around him, except when he uses his sbs or o/u of course. :stupid::stupid::stupid:

I have owned many semi autos and pumps and am not suggesting that when people use them their personality changes.

My comment was specifically, that if they do not use the flagged breech plug, nobody has any way of knowing whether their gun is loaded or not.

It has also been my experience, that they don't appear to like it being drawn to their attention, however politely.

If you think that all our "fellow shooters" are safe, considerate, non agressive beings, then I think you may well "have missed something".

I've used my Browning Gold hunter Semi at Lakenheath and at the Monday Madness day, and those who I shoot with, know that If I don't take the slip round they know I walk with it breech open facing forward like a soldier ,arching, so all can see it's clear. As to the not sure if I fired 1, 2 or 3 shots. There should never be any reason why you have three cartridges (in the case of a three shot semi) in the gun. You only get two clays on any one stand or two shots at one (Kills counting).

I have had interesting conversations walking round the shoot with it as it is Realtree camouflauged and 32"barrelled with 3.5" Magnum Chamber. People always want to hold it and comment on the overall length (Longer than an O/U 32" barrelled gun).

My Father-in-law uses a Mossberg three shot pump for everything, Clays, Vermin and Game (On private land not driven days). He can rack it quicker than anyone I know and has no probs with DTL, ABT, simultaneous birds, Sporting, Skeet etc. etc.

Again like Mungler he gets asked questions and people queue up behind him to watch and chat about it. I hear what some people have said about Semi's and the safety aspect and I have had somebody with the semi pointing over there shoulder (Empty - but from behind I couldn't see it), and had to say something. Also I was on a shoot when both me and my father-in-law watched a newcomer to the sport load his gun up, whilst waiting his turn and then proceed to start practisong mounting :stupid::stupid: . F i L Came up to him from behind and gently put his arms around the guy and on to the gun, telling him why he was doing what he was doing. Proceeded to then empty the chamber and Mag and gave the gun back, explaining kindly to the guy why you should never do that.

Seems like some people either never get properly taught or others just do as they please regardless.

SS :stupid:

I don't see anything wrong with semi's, and most of my clay shooting is done with one. I always use a breech flag, carrying the gun upwards on its sling. I have never ever had any problem with snobby types, most people being interested in the gun (all-black finish and synth stock). In fact a lot of guys at my local clay shoot (Cluny Clays) use auto's.

It's when I take my Greener GP up to the clays that I get a few comments!

If you like the auto's, then use one. So long as you handle it and shoot it safely, that is the main thing.

No such experience of this snobbery myself. I had a few dodgy looks when I was smashing clays with my Winchester 1200 [pump action] one time but they weren't hitting anything with their posh over unders where I was smashing a good few. Its what you can do with the gun and if you can conduct yourself in a safe manner with it that counts (obviously). No comments about the semi-auto at all.

I shoot at Lakenheath regularly now, and this sunday 50% of the group (2 out of 4) were shooting with semis. We all tend to put the guns back in slips between stands anyway but I didn't catch any dodgy looks, and the rangy brigade were definatley out on sunday :welcomeani:

Si

I must admit, I'm a bit wary of semi owners at clay grounds as they seem to wave them around a bit. At smaller club type shoots where everyone's having a bit of a chat people seem more responsible, using those red-ribbon plugs quite responsibly. I want to get a semi but only for the field, not at a clay ground :welcomeani:

We made it a rule at our local shoot (the one you've been too a few times gully) that use of a breach flag is mandatory, if you forget it you can still shoot but you must unslip/slip at the stand.

Pin....i've only just noticed the penguin wing shoving his mate into the water.....lol......glad I'm a bit more switched on when I have other birds in my sights.

DFB

:welcomeani:

I dont really understand the breech flag thing either to be honest. When you have it in there is a tiny bit of orange ribbon protruding from a closed breech. When the breech is open on my Benelli there is 6 inches of polished metal shining out of a black gun to show the breech is open, which to me seems a lot more obvious! Or on the Mossberg the slide is back to show the breech is empty ...

However, I always put my gun back in the bag as I leave the stand anyway, so maybe thats the right thing to do, as Ive not really had anyone remark on the Benelli not having a breech flag, as they cant even see it. Having said that if a ground insisted on one Id surely get one.

I have seen on one occasion someone waving a semi-auto about, and I agree it is a bit off-putting, but thats the exception rather than the rule as far as I can see. I do love shooting the Mossberg when its going well, on DTL or on an open stand , when a few people are watching you and you're hitting stuff. I cant help but think "how much was that 32" barrelled Beretta by the way ? " :)

I personally don't like semi-autos. It's nothing to do with snobbery but I shoot in many DTL and ABT competitions and i dont think there is anything more annoying than having spent cartriges bouncing off your arm. I have a semi and I have used it for sporting where I know cartridges flying out of the side won't affect anyone else, but I don't think they should be allowed in any trap shooting, especially competitions where you need 100% concentration and no distractions.

I personally don't like semi-autos. It's nothing to do with snobbery but I shoot in many DTL and ABT competitions and i dont think there is anything more annoying than having spent cartriges bouncing off your arm. I have a semi and I have used it for sporting where I know cartridges flying out of the side won't affect anyone else, but I don't think they should be allowed in any trap shooting, especially competitions where you need 100% concentration and no distractions.

no offence intended but, you cant honestly tell me that if there were no semi's there'd be no distractions, having been in those comp's also, i have found a lot (not all) of the shooters to be the most obnoxious for off putting techneques, any which way to get an edge they'll find it, the suttle dropping of shells just before you call, the scuffing of feet, coughing, arms swinging, ect, ect, a semi auto has as much rights to be used in any competition as any other gun be it sxs o/u semi or even if you wanted a bolt bloody action, the argument used to be no ported barrels for the international boys and girls, then they noticed the bennefits, so-k now :good: .

its my understanding that more and more shooters in the US and Canada are turning to autos for comps, what does that tell you :D? they work and they are accepted, they are a first class gun to introduce people into the sport, from junior to senior, the ability to own one gun with multiple uses must also count for something, first gun i ever had was a savage 5 shot pump, i can tell you i felt stupid with some of the comments the CPSA clowns came out with, my thanks to them and their encouragement to the sport of shooting "muppets" shut up three of them when i beat them :lol: , adrenalin rush or what, thought i was goint to **** myself with the last bird :rolleyes: .

anyway i guess as has been said rules are rules, and if its deemed the cap dont fit then dont wear it to that party, go where you are accepted for what you are, a sporting gun who wants to shoot, to improove, to learn, to encourage others, to promote the sport in a safe and enjoyable fashion.

this from an O/U and AUTO user , falls off soap box and retires to sideline so as said CPSA boys can dig me a hole to fall in :):lol: beat me ,,,,, sorry bite me :/

Martin

The breech flag also shows that there is not a cartridge up the spout, this can be done with the breech open.

The breech flags that I use in my .22 rifle are tiny but if you have one in, the action MUST be open and the rifle unloaded.

The comment about banning the use of semi's were 100% concentration is needed is just *****Y daft, 100% concentration is needed to be good at any discipline. And surely wehn shooting DTL or ABT the person next to you is not shooting when you are. So it makes no difference.

Don't feed the MungTroll :drool:

Auto-loaders are very common here for sporting clays and five stand (maybe 30%).

Rules are that you only load two. When there's only one report on a pair

everybody pays attention. All guns not on the firing line have actions open.

Auto-loaders and pump action guns are often used by casual shooters on the skeet fields.

I like to shoot everything in the cabinet so occasionally I feel like a ringer when I bring the

Mossberg 500 with the polychoke.

There is some snobbery here too but when the Perazzi's break down the Browning Gold will

come out as back-up.

Bob

Whilst not entring the main debate...

There are few references in this post to slipped guns, let's not forget that doesn't automatically mean the gun is safe.

I was told a story, first hand I may add, by guy whose stalking partner slipped a loaded .243 that went off indoors while still in the slip :drool: apparently the damage to the wall was so deep it knocked a tile off the wall next door - scary stuff - but it could have been much much worse.

stuff the lot of 'em, i dont give a damn if people start giving me funny looks! if anything it makes me shoot better because I know it will mak them feel bad and they just go away and hit nowhere near the amount that I did ;):D:lol: its so much fun being just ahead of them in a squad to watch them do pitifully bad with their 40k guns (no offence to people who use these guns, aren't snobbish and can actually shoot......if there is any)

good times! :lol::/:lol:

When I'm shooting next to someone using an auto I'm always wondering when the next cartridge is going to hit me in the head or arm, so yes it does affect my concentration, instead of clearing my mind between shots im thinking about that. Everytime I have shot next to an auto user I have never shot anywhere near my average , It may not be a problem for everyone but for me it is. I don't disagree with the use of autos but they should be used in disciplines where they will not annoy other competitors eg. sporting, I even use my auto occasionally for sporting, but i have seen some idiots load 3 cartridges and use them . As for the safety aspect, I believe you should have some trust in the other people you are shooting with, I am a lot more nervous when I see 12-13 year olds swinging loaded o/u's around (has happened at my local club) than when I see people walking around with an auto.