GUN PURCHASE SCAM !!! BE WARNED.

ive bought and sold guns (and everything else via ebay) online and the only problems ive had have been thorugh gunstar which is strange as i advertise on gunwatch, gunstar and guntrader

in the past ive had foreign buyers ask to buy my gun and sound shocked when i say they need a license... idiots! i also had several emails yesterday about my side by side via gunstar from the same person which looked a bit suspect so i did as i have done a while now and googled the email address given and found it listed as a scam... its always worth googling if your not 100% just to make sure

It's not just used goods - it is new ones too. Businesses get e-mails from buyers from the middle east, or far east, or Africa requesting to buy a large wholesale quantity of goods. Instead of sending a deposit of 5,000 pounds, they send 50,000 pounds, and plead for a refund of the rest. If you send that 45k back, you will soon find that the original deposit was a fraud (stolen cheques usually), and you lose the lot. I've had this tried on me a few times.

Edited by aris

Same here got a email from him yesterday afternoon so definately still trying. You would think it would have dawned on who ever is sending them they ain't getting anywhere...

Ah but it's no bother for the person / gang to send a whole load of emails out. They only need a few out of a hundred to bite and it will have been worth their while for an afternoo's work.

That's a blooming long gap between joining and your first post by the way. Welcome... :)

Yep!!

Nigerian scammers!! They'll try anything except honest work!!

Also, in the UK it's really not a good idea to pay for guns with paypal as if anything goes wrong, they will freeze your account- they won't deal with guns in this country-- period!!

John :good:

Hi I live in Bridlington and have never heard of this darrenswild camping.com , so I have no idea who he is so be very careful guys, I am on quite a few hunting, shooting sites and have come across a few scams latley, one of which was 2 days ago and the police, paypal and facebook have all been informed. This is obtaining money or goods by deception , basically fraud, so please inform the appropriate authorities and get this sort of thing stopped, because we are all so trusting on these sites because we are all in the same hobbies and we think that everyone is the same, thats not the case unfortunately.

Had this email last week. Didn't fall for it but went along as far as I was asked to depart with my cash. Initially I responded that I would sell the gun. The way the scam works is you then get a fake Paypal email showing a credit transaction £180 over the cost and he then asks you to forward this payment as his carriage cost to the agent. Of course when you do check your Paypal it's a load of b*******.

• 2 years later...

I received these emails in reply to an ad which I placed on guntrader for an old Belgian sidelock. The first one I thought was quite plausible and I replied to it. It was the second one which set alarm bells ringing and it was thanks to other contributors on pigeon watch that I realised that this scammer was still at it.........So, be warned!!

1.Thanks for your mail and am satisfy with the add and the listed price. i am a Navy (USNR -VS-82, NAS Alameda, VS-82.), I'm buying this for my friend as a surprise gift, i'm willing to offer you the amount you required.

Due to the hectic nature of my job, the only mode of payment that best suit this transaction is Paypal therefore i have made arrangement with my pick up agent who is a registered arm dealer to come and pick it up after the payment has been cleared into your account. i want you to get back to me with your paypal email address for me to make payment to you and also send me your pick up address so that i can have my agent to schedule pick up appointment after payment.

Kindly get back to me with the following questions below:

1) Are you the Owner?
2) Pick up Location?
3) Your PayPal Email ID to effect the payment
4) Asking price once again for confirmation?

Thanks and God bless
From
Jordan David

2."...... was just about to pay when i had this problem with the pick up, my pick up agent says i will need to pay for the pick up before they can schedule a pick up time, they charged me £250 for pick up and delivery, and payments for pick up made through them is made to their corporate international headquarters which is in the India and the payments is made through western union transfer, i will add the sum of £250 to the money i will send through paypal as soon as i have made the payments, i will email you and let you know and please i will need you to help me send the money to my pick up agent Hq in the India through western union transfer, this can be done from any post office ,there is always western union transfer section in most post offices...i would have done it myself but we cant bring some of our personal effects along, i am a little incapacitated.I will appreciate your help here.Awaiting your response.