tug of war with puppy

Hi

Depends what you want the dog for

Personally think your better off playing fetch and give but then I use my dogs for shooting

Lady I know plays tug of war but her dogs are used to rescue people from the water

So I suppose it rests upon what you want as a end result

All the best

Of

I don't think it makes a dog hard mouthed but it will give you delivery issues. There is a well known person in running dogs who believes in Tug training prior to retrieve training proper, I have serious doubts of tug training but "hard mouth" is a different thing. It must be said no good the dog brings you undamaged game but wants to rip it to bits on delivery

Totally depends on the dog, personally I wouldn't play tug of war with a dummy but to play tug of war every now and then with an old sock or something similar may be ok. This can help out a touch with dogs dropping the retrieve before it gets to hand . But I would say if the dog has no issues coming back to you and holding things then there's no need for tug of war.

you play tug-o-war with a dog that is used in the field and it will pull the birds to bits and it will expect to do the same when it retrieves.......also not a good idea if you have children in the house

if you are trainig for water rescue then that is different as the other post has said......

i have always played tug of war with my dogs and have now just got a labarador puppy after a few years without a dog and have been told not to play these games as it makes them hard mouthed any advice?

Why? If you gain more than you will potentially lose then keep doing it. But what is there to gain from doing it with a puppy? If there is a chance there is something to lose by doing it then why bother? Personally I've never seen the need to do it and never thought it would benefit my dogs in any way. I've got some really loose mouthed young dogs regarding dummies but have never had a dog drop game through not having a good enough hold.Ever.

thanks for the replys i have had a lab before 25 years ago and had her for 18 years and she was a great pet and the kids were brought up with her at the time the puppy classes encouraged to play games like tug of war but told us not to let her win dut to dominance etc obviously 25 years later its me that needs a top up on training i have got abbie mainly for a pet indoors but as i have taken up shooting 2 years ago i would like to give her some training on retreaving game for me as well so that was the main reason on me with this post i do agree with you all regarding it could cause problems with giving the retreave over so will not play with her in that way i do have issues with one post tho actionpigeons oh god is not a reply that would help me if you have nothing constructive to say then please do not post moron !!

well you see kent with your post you gave me good comments on hard mouthing and the delivery problems and was helpfull to me but just to post oh god? where does that leave me ?? it either insinuates i am an idiot or he is praying i took it as i am an idiot and responded as i felt it deserved i have no problem on the forum on being told if i am right or wrong but just give some information if you have none i would not bother to post a reply

well you see kent with your post you gave me good comments on hard mouthing and the delivery problems and was helpfull to me but just to post oh god? where does that leave me ?? it either insinuates i am an idiot or he is praying i took it as i am an idiot and responded as i felt it deserved i have no problem on the forum on being told if i am right or wrong but just give some information if you have none i would not bother to post a reply

+1

That's not the way I read it. I read it that Actionpigeons just thought kent was/is an idiot as his ' Oh God' was after Kent's post. :lol:

CAN YOU RE_READ IT THEN. I was not agreeing with the tug game I was saying that at least somebody was telling people in the press it was fine, I know of no gundog people who do this it seems daft for a gundog to associate retrieving with tug of war games. If a pup pulls I let go if it drops it I put it back in its mouth, if it is reluctant to open its mouth I press lightly on the gums or just roll the object backwards. I have never played tug of war with any dog besides a terrier. My thoughts are very much it will more than likely create delivery issues.

If that is misunderstood then it harps to what I think the OP just did and took it as a personal insult towards himself

For the benefit of those that add and subtract bits from that which a wrote. HARD MOUTH is clamping down on game to kill it or prevent it being stolen by another dog, I am not sure a dog that brings the thing back is going to do that but like I say it might rip it to bits as you get hold so why do it? Plain and easy enough for you to comprehend?

Edited by kent

I don't mind what it is you wrote or why you wrote it.My comment was based on why I thought Actionpigeons had made his comment. not whether you were right, wrong or indifferent.We all have our own methods and ways. I've done exactly as you suggested and re read the post 'Oh God' and it still reads the same. Thought it refered to your post before it. I didn't write ' Oh God' or call you an idiot but thought the post was in reference to what you had posted prior to it. :yes:

It might well have done but I only put forwards the same view as most, its not the done thing. If AP was referring to the third party who offers up this advice as I assumed he was no issue but its better not to drag my thoughts into it as I feel you did. Heck he might have been making the same mistake

It might well have done but I only put forwards the same view as most, its not the done thing. If AP was referring to the third party who offers up this advice as I assumed he was no issue but its better not to drag my thoughts into it as I feel you did. Heck he might have been making the same mistake

Reference "KENT WAS IS AN IDIOT" it was not and is not my way to play tug of war

I've personally avoided tug of war with my young dog.

BUT I do remember coming across this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6CpEEBsfvA

Check out 2:05 into the clip.

All he's doing is teasing a young dog to introduce the desire to retrieve, all part of a key stage game, it's tug of war in the mildest of sense.

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/277646-looking-for-a-first-dog/

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/280536-help-labrador-retrieving-problems/

I suspect that both these threads revolve around problems caused by not doing simple little games such as shown in the video with the young springer.

All he's doing is teasing a young dog to introduce the desire to retrieve, all part of a key stage game, it's tug of war in the mildest of sense.

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/280536-help-labrador-retrieving-problems/

I suspect that both these threads revolve around problems caused by not doing simple little games such as shown in the video with the young springer.

He's not. What he's doing is teasing a young pup into holding onto an item and that is the reason he does it. He's training delivery not trying to encourage keeness of retrieves.To very seperate things.

Handha in nd in my book, you're splitting hairs.

If you say so. Would you agree that an exceptionally keen retriever of something can also have a very bad and sloppy delivery, i.e dropping, spitting etc?

if you agree on that, which you most likely will, then the two things are completely seperate. The delivery and keeness or "desire" are, like it or not, completely seperate things.

thanks for the replys i have had a lab before 25 years ago and had her for 18 years and she was a great pet and the kids were brought up with her at the time the puppy classes encouraged to play games like tug of war but told us not to let her win dut to dominance etc obviously 25 years later its me that needs a top up on training i have got abbie mainly for a pet indoors but as i have taken up shooting 2 years ago i would like to give her some training on retreaving game for me as well so that was the main reason on me with this post i do agree with you all regarding it could cause problems with giving the retreave over so will not play with her in that way i do have issues with one post tho actionpigeons oh god is not a reply that would help me if you have nothing constructive to say then please do not post moron !!

Ask your self why would I say "Oh god".

I have a few people come over for training lessons with gundogs.

one is only 13 and I don't think she would ask the question you have.

Dog training is mostly Common sense!

Edited by Actionpigeons

Ask your self why would I say "Oh god".

I have a few people come over for training lessons with gundogs.

one is only 13 and I don't think she would ask the question you have.

Dog training is mostly Common sense!

i didnt ask myself i asked people with more training with puppies on the forum as they are more knowledgeable on the subject than me if i knew the answer i would not have posted my question if you are such a good trainer why did you not put me in the right direction with an informative answer i can only say with your attitude towards me with my question would you have said oh god to them if they were paying for your services i think the answer to that would be no ? common sence i have but i will always ask if in any doubt as i said in my previous post i have had a lab as a pet but i have never had any training regarding gundogs as i am new to the sport i now need to ask questions i do not want to get into a slanging match with you even if i did call you a moron you replied a stupid answer and deserved what you got if nothing constructive to say to any ones post please dont bother to answer

Edited by nobbyathome