My dog got bit today :(

DannyNCC

Was in the park today and my dog was running round like always

And a german Shepard that he runs rings around but the other dog always chases him and I've always thought that he didn't look the nicest when doing this

Well today he caught mine when he was not really running off and nipped his bum

Mine yelped a tiny bit and ran off I walked away with him right away and looked at him

All looked ok

Got back from work now and he's licking the area and I noticed he got a hole about 5mm like a tooth hole

When I see this ***** again if I can hold back on being a fool myself what should I say to him that's reasonable and not just shouting and balling before kicking his dogs head in

Personally I would say thats the risk you take if you are prepared to let your dog run around a park off lead when other dogs are present .

If it was on the lead chances are you would be able to prevent this happening.

I would get your dog to the vet as the wound is likely to become infected.

couldn't agree more, keep your dog on a lead and it won't happen, can't see you can say anything to the other owner, your dog could just as easy have done this to another dog. (and please don't say your dog would never do that, it could and it might if left off a lead)

Edited by docholiday

Ok settle down for a moment, while playing one has gone over the top and yours has incurred a small puncture wound. Contrary to popular opinion on here this can happen and just clean it well and it will heal. If it shows signs of swelling or redness / puss then take to the vet but its unlikely to need to. Put it down to experience and keep yours on the lead but I'd lay money that it will want to play with the same dog next time they meet.

If there wasn't much blood i wouldn't bother with the vet, just a bit of savalon :-) If it swells or looks infected then go straight to the vets.

Dogs do occasionally bite each other, its natural. You say your dog was running rings around the Shepard like usual, maybe your dog was annoying the Shepard? From what it sounds like your dog got a nip that it deserved so won't do that in the future. When i first got my Terrier he was a 'pain in the ***' for other dogs, and as such i let him learn his own lessons. Now he isn't as interested in other dogs and has learnt dog etiquette but it took him a few nips to get him this way.

All in all this is part and parcel of being a dog owner.

Now on the other hand.... if your dog was on a lead and the shepard came running over and bit your dog.... then that would be a different story (but regardless don't take it out on the dog, take it out on the owner!).

Edited by phillips321

Personally I would say thats the risk you take if you are prepared to let your dog run around a park off lead when other dogs are present .

If it was on the lead chances are you would be able to prevent this happening.

I would get your dog to the vet as the wound is likely to become infected.

+1

Keep your dog under control would be the answer i am afraid.

Edited by Actionpigeons

My whippet torments my daughters staff and they have grown up together in the pen next to each other well yesterday the whippet must off upset the staff because it rattled the whippet proper but about 300 yds away in the field and the whippet was in a right mess the staff came back with its tail between its legs and the whippet limped back and its ears were a right mess so it has a sock on its head to stop the blood and is covered in purple sheep spray it seemed a little better today you could tell there was friction. If it would of attacke the whippet for no reason i would of shot it straight away

If you want to let your dog run about off the lead (nothing wrong with that) you have to think carefully where you take it. I let my dog off the lead every day I take it out (Japanese Akita) but always put it on the leader if I come across another dog (very rare) whether it be a terrier or another Akita they can all bite if they want to.

Wasn't going to bother wasting my time posting but

Danny its as much ur faults as anyone else's, and i bet the owner of the other dog would say the exact same 'Oh he doesn't usually do that', that tends to be the standard response anytime a kid gets mauled too

Mark ur dogs were 300yds away how much control do u have over ur dogs at that distance? Think if 1 of my 5 made a mess of another of mine or someelses they wood be taking a 1 way walk up the wood. Yes a quick nip to teach a dog a lesson even if it draws blood but a full on attack would only do it once. My wire had a nip at the pup 2 weeks ago and drew blood but it was 1 nip after a lot of growling pup now knows wot a growl means and not to try a steal his bone too much, still pushes it at times thou

If u don't want ur dog attacked keep it on a lead, then if it gets attacked u are in a position to defend/intervene

• 2 weeks later...

It amazes me sometimes how some owners allow their dogs to be uncontrolled. Every dog in a public place should be under control. My dog is rarely on a lead other than when near a road for obvious reasons. When out walking him if another dog or runner or whatever approaches us I move off the track a few yards call him to me, tell him to sit until the runner or dog whatever has passed. It amazes me how many owners will have no control over their dog which will then run over to mine and start wanting to play or the odd occasion even starting to get aggressive, with the owner having no control over it at all. I usually get a 'sorry about that' or ' I wish mine was as obedient as that' I don't say anything but think, well he ********** should be.

Nothing about being a pro trainer just being respectful of other people.

I usually walk my dogs of lead to heel up the woods on the rare occasion i meet anyone i will sit them all down out the way and probably put the lead on them, wether or not they have a dog or not.

Not everyone likes dogs, so wot right do i have to let my dog run wild and up to people who may be scared of them, they have as much right to walk in the woods as me.

If u do not have the control do not let ur dog of the lead. Look at racing greyhounds they never get to free run, all just road work on leads yet are as fit as any dog

Yea sorry we don't have time to be pro dog trainers and have some pedigree spaniel. But so glad that you are better than everyone else, good for you

I don't believe I am better than anyone else at all. I suspect the majority of Pigeon watch owners dogs are better disciplined than mine. I'm just saying if you are a responsible dog owner you should be able to keep it under control. If you can't keep your dog under control then in my book you are not a responsible owner. Simple as that

Me too, mine ended up snapping his lead two days ago because some other people walking their dogs off the lead allowed theirs to come and tease my dog just out of range. Luckily for them I caught the broken lead and stopped him eating their dogs. Annoys me when people don't use leads, feel like just letting my dog bite theirs. I know it's not the dogs fault the owner doesn't take proper care, but the dog and owner would both learn their lesson....