stihl chainsaws

viking

M170/71 12" bar should sort your needs perfectly

I agree especially if you don't use a saw too often. Stihl are easy to maintain and good little tools. Don't think you need a big bar, personally I generally opt for the medium sized bar relating to the saw as I think a bigger bar will take more toll on the engine. Please be careful as they don't make small cuts!!!

I've used both. Huskies I feel have a higher chain speed and rev higher, good for quick cuts time is money work For general domestic use, reliability and ease of maintenance the earlier mentioned saws I think are well suited. Also look at the smaller MS SERIES by Stihl. I use those right up to an MS 880, awesome piece of kit but tests the sharpening skills

MS181 is what you want then, just bought one a couple of months back and it's a very good piece of kit, my local builders equipment had them on offer for £165 plus the vat not so long back. it made short work of a fallen aspen, well, de limbing anyhoo, there's only so much a 14" bar and a couple of horsepower can do.

Contrary to the above I had a mcullough 338 for a good number of years which was ideal for small stuff and got passed on to a friend who duly messed it up taking a door frame out.

failing that, there's loads on the bay and you might just end up with something bigger and more capable for similar money new, I've just picked up an 045av for not a lot of gold, that's a 75cc 25" saw for less than the ms 181 new.

Edited by Paddy Galore!

I have a 181 as well as a 291.

181 will do all the firewood you need. Key thing is make sure you get the correct sharpening kit and keep it sharp. Get your dealer to throw one on. Shy bairns get nowt........

heard differing reports about sthil recently.....the reliability and build quality have gone down ....more on the smaller models...i still would recomend them ...but i would be tempted to go for a really good 2nd hand model that has been looked after.....

As said they do different ranges for different duty and user budgets. the size of saw is about right for the use described though don't expect a lot for a little otherwise its pointless making higher priced models for heavy use. Take care, get the right safety gear and most importantly be sure you know how to use it safely as they don't take prisoners

As said they do different ranges for different duty and user budgets. the size of saw is about right for the use described though don't expect a lot for a little otherwise its pointless making higher priced models for heavy use. Take care, get the right safety gear and most importantly be sure you know how to use it safely as they don't take prisoners

They absolutely do not not take prisoners. Be safe sharpen regularly to prevent fatigue and DO NOT BECOME COMPLACENT and remember that familiarity can breed contempt.

Hey anyone else find the Fuel and chain oil caps on the new Stihls ****? Ive had the chain oil empty all over my leg a couple of times thinking that I put the cap on right. Apart from that they do the job. 181 will be fine though.

A pal of mine bought a stihl 2 years ago and the chain oil goes through it like mad, heavy spraying the wood and floor making a real mess, he put it back inside the warranty and was told it was normal, working like it should! although it wasn't stihl that looked at it but some workshop on contract to the supplier. Saying that it's the first time I've heard of bother with them. Anyone heard of this problem?

Never. After maintenance I always check for oil spray. Normally have to run it open for a while to see that it's coming through properly. That's on all the Stihl saws we run. On the 880 you can adjust the amount of oil that is used.

I suggest the saw that sprayed and made a mess had a fault. Any Stihl dealers I have used would have sorted it. I use lister wilder now and they have been excellent