Does anyone know of a bad make of shotguns built in last three years

ChrisAsh

We hare so much about what guns are good and what will last a lifetime and your sons etc.

With guns brought new over last three years any new brought guns been duff ones, just the guns you have owned not hearsay

We all hear of the guns that never depreciate, and often the price of new guns go up every year which helps the matter, but just selling a gun without exchange do many really make money? Gun Trader and other sites have lots of popular guns at very low secondhand prices and that's what people are asking not always what they get.

Any good quality gun from the top makers will , if looked after will not lose money over the years . Some of them will in fact appreciate over time . Don't expect to make money on a gun in the short term . It takes a few years for a gun to appreciate . Good investments would be Browning ,beretta , Aya,or any of the top mark Italians and of course best English guns . Those that will not make money are those made in Turkey . As a for instance , I Have a Beretta that I bought 5 years ago that is retailing for £600 more than I paid for it . I should at least get my money back . Quality guns have always been a good investment .

Harnser.

Edited by Harnser

The fact that many guns now fetch more than the purchase price paid in the past is due to inflation (the worth of money). A few unusual things have happened in the last 10-15 years.

1. the euro crashed against the pound meaning we got a lot for each GBP spent in the past

2. many companies that should compete Tikka v sako berretta v Benelli are now under one roof

competition has effectively been reduced hence new prices are up relative to the past.

Distributers in the UK especially can effect value New Hatsans took a big chunk off s/h

Semi autos. Distributing two competing brands exclusively gives control also.

Yes you can make money if you look at things in equal terms, though the money you receive might be higher than the past price paid you lost interest and real value of those pounds (you cant time travel prices rise if you paid £200 for a gun in the sixties that was a couple of months wages for many). I did for the first time ever 4 years back trade a gun as PX against another both being bought retail and I got £200 more than I paid for my Berretta (bought retail s/h) for a new (again retail) Winchester. The dealer once he marked up my PX perhaps made an equal or higher amount again. The reasoning was I bought when the Euro was cheap (used prices reflect new prices) and sold when it had been propped up again. Now lets say you have that £200 gun from the sixties have you made or lost money if you sell it for £2000 today?

there is a view of some people that AYA finish and build quality of recent is not as good as it was 20-30 years ago.....my best quality sidelock was several decades old and very nicely finished....mt number 2 was 30 years old and very well finished....my number 4 ..build quality is very good but the finish is rubbish....rubbish blueing sharp edges file marks...some of the newer aya's the finish is poor but yet again some of the newer ones are very good..........if you are buying a gun research the history....as the factories get moved to cut costs.........i think Miroku is a point in question...with the Browning connection...some are superb and some are deficient

buying a quality gun can be a nightmare sometimes...unless you research it first

All comes down to how much you want spend . Higher grade B25s seem to be gaining in value after a bit of a slump . Good Webley 700s are going up a little , other English guns are falling .

But as with all else the market has its ups and downs , guns are subject to trend and the most important factor legislation as to there owner ship . I do not know of any gun that will be short term investment but over a 20 year term you are not likely to loose out .

Don't buy anything that is out of the norm , weird ribs , plastic stocks ,etc. these can be come unsellable over time as attitudes change . Avoid autos unless you are an American who have a different attitude to them OK old A5s are a bit more collectable now than 10 years back but not a real investment . Good wood nice engraving and well cared for as well as originality are what will count .

Edited by Gunman

Names can be an important factor .Remember 10/15 years ago much publicity and adverts for I can not even remember the name , two London lads who set up to make best sidelocks . They crop for sale now and again but they do not fetch anything like there real value .

A lot of descent Italian and Belgian makes with now forgotten or obscure names do not hold the value they should .

Doesn't bother me how much i'd get for it now. Got it for £275 brand new and it still runs fine. seven years later, still shoots like new.

Don't know why beretta owners are all so quick to slag the hatsan off?!

I dont own a beretta and havent done for a lot of years now bur i have had two hatsans and i might as well have bought a single barrel as neather would shoot the second or third shot but the trusty old baikal auto is faultless

Not seen any bad guns just not as well made guns, but if you buy a budget gun can you expect every face of every part to be hand finished a fitted no that's how they make them cheaper using CNC etc to get accurate machine made parts

I would doubt that any new sub £2500 maybe 3000 shotgun is hand finished these days as apposed to just a quick check

All gun makers nowdays use cnc cutting for accuracy and imagine quality calibrations of the cnc at regular intervals

I would doubt that any new sub £2500 maybe 3000 shotgun is hand finished these days as apposed to just a quick check

All gun makers nowdays use cnc cutting for accuracy and imagine quality calibrations of the cnc at regular intervals

Found this on a previous post about inside the miroku factory. Apparently they still make them by hand, and site.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/photos/gallery/guns/shotguns/2011/03/citori-miroku-shotguns-browning-japan-factory-tour

Found this on a previous post about inside the miroku factory. Apparently they still make them by hand, and site.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/photos/gallery/guns/shotguns/2011/03/citori-miroku-shotguns-browning-japan-factory-tour

If this is true I imagine it's only for the very top guns where mass production of guns and spares requires cad manufacturing

I have a beretta a300 outlander bought new 2 years ago and the finish on the wood leaves a lot to be desired,could have come off a pallet,its certainly 3rd rate compared with with both my lanbers 12g/and 20g bought new less than a year ago,and its not just an odd one my neighbour has one with **** wood bought a year after mine,he also had a dt10 which cracked across the action,so are beretta as good as there made out to be.