leaving work. benefit payments ? advice

big bad lindz

Ok then just who do you think is paying for for these pensions I am not talking about privet pensions but people who work for the government to get a pension that you could live a decent life on you would need hundreds of thousends in the pot so who in fact pays it you and I.

It's irrelevant who's paying for it (in this instance anyway, whether these pensions should have ever been offered is a different conversation), they chose a career with that pension on offer, they aren't cheating or manipulating a system, they worked for it and collected it.

Edited by Deker

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's irrelevant who's paying for it (in this instance anyway, whether these pensions should have ever been offered is a different conversation), they chose a career with that pension on offer, they aren't cheating or manipulating a system, they worked for it and collected it.

They usually as with local authority workers choose the job for its benefits rather than its pittance of a wage, good luck to them.

KW

Have you ever wondered the hourly rate for eg teachers over a year they only do about 25 hrs a week

A rather ill educated statement,you assume their work is simply the time spent in class, if so you should take up comedy, as you tell good jokes,teachers spend hour upon hour working outside school time, who do you think prepares lessons (ever put a presentation together?er that will be no) who do you think marks (can you speed read essays and can they? er that will be another no) who supports the kids outside school hours and through lunch times is that you?er that will be another no, oh and I'm not a teacher but work alongside a fair few, and would I do it (although I do instruct adults) not for all the tea in China.

KW

Edited by kdubya

A rather ill educated statement,you assume their work is simply the time spent in class, if so you should take up comedy, as you tell good jokes,teachers spend hour upon hour working outside school time, who do you think prepares lessons (ever put a presentation together?er that will be no) who do you think marks (can you speed read essays and can they? er that will be another no) who supports the kids outside school hours and through lunch times is that you?er that will be another no, oh and I'm not a teacher but work alongside a fair few, and would I do it (although I do instruct adults) not for all the tea in China.

KW

Absolutely correct.

Ok then just who do you think is paying for for these pensions I am not talking about privet pensions but people who work for the government to get a pension that you could live a decent life on you would need hundreds of thousends in the pot so who in fact pays it you and I.

As already said these pension schemes are part of the job, and often make up for the fact that individuals could often earn far more if working in the private sector.

As already said these pension schemes are part of the job, and often make up for the fact that individuals could often earn far more if working in the private sector.

I think you might find that the disparity between the two sectors is no longer as it used to be, and if anything after the recession public sector jobs are equal and in cases better paid.

Yes but in the private sector you do not get a job for life unless you do something bad or stupid in the public sectore you are laughing or you was untill this bank crash.

I could double my wage working in the private sector, admittedly down south, but even locally I could earn 20-30% more, but the pension has been paid into now for 40 years, I cant jump ship,

the local government pension was part of the package, ie lower wages but more security and a decent pension,

the security has gone we have lost a good number of staff in the downturn to redundancy, and the pension may not be there in a few years.

I could double my wage working in the private sector, admittedly down south, but even locally I could earn 20-30% more,

That's my experience too, although I only had 10 years in so made the move to the private sector

I think you might find that the disparity between the two sectors is no longer as it used to be, and if anything after the recession public sector jobs are equal and in cases better paid.

ive just done a bit of reading, while your correct in regards to many jobs, generally more highly qualified/skilled individuals can still earn quite a bit more elsewhere.

KW

Absolutely correct my mum is a teacher and some nights she is still up at 10 pm marking or emailing students whilst cooking Sunday tea who need help with coursework ect.

John

ive just done a bit of reading, while your correct in regards to many jobs, generally more highly qualified/skilled individuals can still earn quite a bit more elsewhere.

Yes you are right, but the large amount of the public sector jobs are not done by highly qualified/skilled individuals.That is not a dig at anyone in the public sector but it is true.

Have you ever wondered the hourly rate for eg teachers over a year they only do about 25 hrs a week

really?? how many teachers do you know??

they work a hell of a lot hours than that marking...preping for class etc

KW

spot on

normally they have to pay 10%+ to it

AT 62 I will have worked for 47 years and I do feel time is running out so I decided to take early retirement could say I blame poor management etc for my decision but in truth I am sick of work and want to go out and play before I pop my clogs options are go on the sick get sacked or walk away for me I think I will just walk . Don't get me wrong if I could enhance my income with tax payers money then I would and I would have no guilt trip about it. WHY because I payed TAX all my working life and my country will still tax me one my pension if they can and if I fall ill and require health care they will even take my kids inheritance to pay for it.So good luck to anyone nearing retirement who has paid into the system and wants to get something back so this is how I see it I and many others of my generation have helped to fill the trough so whats wrong in getting some back anyone who has not worked for more than thirty years should keep there hands over there mouth or in this case away from the key board as they don't know how they will feel when they are in the later stages of their working life.

Edited by scutt

anyone who has not worked for more than thirty years should keep there hands over there mouth or in this case away from the key board as they don't know how they will feel when they are in the later stages of their working life.

I think that most of those posting saying "it's not on" are themselves nearing or over retirement age. I certainly am !

As I said, if people fancy early retirement, then take it, but don't expect me and other tax payers to fund it.

I think that most of those posting saying "it's not on" are themselves nearing or over retirement age. I certainly am !

As I said, if people fancy early retirement, then take it, but don't expect me and other tax payers to fund it.

+1

I've another 30 years but paid in since school so get a say

think you missed the point those who are close to retirement and have paid tax for many years feel that they have already paid for it CharlieT, on 29 May 2014 - 2:26 PM, said:

+1
I've another 30 years but paid in since school so get a say

who do you think help fund your school etc the gov or the tax payer

Reality check people- don't judge people until you have walked a mile in their shoes. let's stop blaming people who are looking to " play the system" It's the benefit and retirement polocies that's wrong. If you have worked and paid in you should be allowed to take it out.

Retirement age goes up and up I will have to work till I'm 67. Let us that have worked 45 +years have a break. Let the 20 something's that can't / won't work have the jobs.

The choice is ours to make. No pay in no take out! It's not rocket science! No offence to any PW posters, hope your "advice" that you give freely on this issue is better than your shooting.

Me I'm back to work for next 8 years thanks to Dave and Nick?

think you missed the point those who are close to retirement and have paid tax for many years feel that they have already paid for it CharlieT, on 29 May 2014 - 2:26 PM, said:

My mum and dad who are worn out but still working in their 60's

The problem is how do you compaire someone doing a nice office job with someone doing hard manual work the body can only stand so much lots of peole doing light work could go in in to old age and still have time to enjoy life when they retire but if you are doing hard physical work a body can only stand so much of that ok some will last longer than others but what is the good of retiring at 65 and being to worn out to enjoy it.

As I've said already my dad is 62 and was brain damaged on site 2 years ago then while doing a delivery was hit by a car which damaged all his arm . Still working

Mum is 60 with two worn out hips and knees but still drags her *** in everyday

Both would love to retire but can't yet for 7 years in my mums case .

Sorry but why should they work to pay for someone's benefits to sit in the garden

no your parents shouldn't be paying for anyone else, but they should be sitting in their own garden relaxing and enjoying an early retirement . And I'm happy to contribute to that through paying taxes. Only thing I hate is paying for out and out dossers and people who in my mind shouldn't even be in this fine country, once called Great Britain !!

Patronising self centred nonsense. Which generation had free education, earlier retirement ages, cheaper housing, better pension deals? The post war generation. I think the problem now is down to expectation - the older generation expect retirement to be a comfortable extends holiday whereas the people in their 30s and 40s are under no such illusions and expect to work longer and get less.