Brancaster

scolopax

Thornham ?????

think gedney drove end is heading that way from what you have just described, negotiations done by wash clubs then brought from under there nose by a consortium, that has a person involved with them.

here is a thought thornham lease runs out at about the same time as gedney, what do you recon the chances of a southern club getting it,

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not quite true this should read WILL be punished, members are also reminded that the KL&WNWA take a dim view of members discussing the club on line, remeber there is a club out there that would think nothing of stealing our lease.

I could never reveal anything confidential, all I know is what's said at the AGM, which like all AGMs of any organisation are Public Meetings.

However, thanks for the warning and I take note of what you say.

I am a member of one of these 7 day a week clubs and as you know tides restrict you shooting the best times, etc so they are not over shot ever hardly see another soul out there, and no mud shooting so the birds can be miles out at low tide,and we have a reasonable to low membership.

I am a member of the same club. Not sure how many flights konnie does. I did over 50 last season and I can't remember seeing him there. Sometimes we get overshot mixed up with over populated !

I am a member of the same club. Not sure how many flights konnie does. I did over 50 last season and I can't remember seeing him there. Sometimes we get overshot mixed up with over populated !

Yes but is that because he was not there -------------------------------or because you are getting old and forgetful :whistling:

That's about once every three days, unless my maths fail me, always a possibility.

I thought I was going far more often than could be considered sensible, once a week, every week, twice sometimes.

You've reached a new level however, respect.

That's about once every three days, unless my maths fail me, always a possibility.

I thought I was going far more often than could be considered sensible, once a week, every week, twice sometimes.

I wouldn't have thought that kind of number is that unusual. I did 52 flights last season.

I think i did 59 or 60 flights in total, split between my main marsh, day tickets on other marshes, ouse washes and inland trips.

Hi to all, I have just joined the Forum and have just posted on the thread BASC Chairman. I stated on that thread that I was very disappointed with some of the comments being made on this thread concerning the KWCA and our Chairman Alan Jarrett. Some of these comments have even resulted in direct insults relating to Alan's parents. Very pleasant I'm sure. I have the pleasure to work along side Alan and others on KWCA Committee. There seems to be a general misconception from some about KWCA 's intentions. Along with these misunderstandings are comments that are at best misinformation and worst pure fantasy drawn from mostly rumour and innuendo and I'm convinced by some serious mischief making. Let me put a few points to deal with various claims made. Firstly KWCA did not and would not pinch Thornhams shooting, Thornham had already lost the shooting for several reasons before we ever came on the scene, despite what certain parties are saying. The danger at Thornham was either the loss of shooting completely or more likely a private shooting syndicate taking over. I know this to be true, I was at the meetings and whilst I am unable to discuss confidential club matters here, I can confirm that the owner Mr. Stephan Betts was very keen on the lease going to someone with a strong track record of land/shooting management who would include the local club and others, along of course with a reasonable return. I would suggest that Thornham should look to their own management practices when the only deal they could come up with was a joint venture with the RSPB which would have seen buffer zones and reduced shooting along with any other restraints RSPB could bring into play. If you don't believe me check with others who have RSPB involved and see if their happy with everything, particularly around severe weather issues. We have a good relationship with the local RSPB officers, as do others. But don't forget policy is made at a much higher level. The only reason to involve RSPB or any other such group is when it's the only game in town. If you are a non affiliated club and can't ask for help from the lead organisation and won't accept help from other local clubs and don't have the resources to go it alone. Don't expect KWCA to stand by and watch more shooting land go down the way of lots of other areas. In fact I say again, look at your own shortcomings and management. KWCA stepped in to keep Thornham from either an exclusive syndicate or possibly no shooting in the very near future, either way not much of a future for Thornham WA. Our period of control means anyone (Thornham members included) can join and shoot the marsh. Other comments that KWCA charge for permits is quite frankly wrong. Our full membership including BASC is £242 per annum. This we feel is tremendous value for money albeit I accept someway above the figures some clubs around the country charge, but it must be remembered that the world we live in now is very different from the one of my younger days. Land is in demand from lots of corners and I noticed that one member mentioned USELESS SALTINGS in his post. If anybody really believes that statement, wake up and smell the coffee. I digress, once you have paid your membership permits are completely free. If anyone feels that's not good value for helping to secure an area like Thornham without the other shooting opportunities we are able to offer in other areas, then I suggest we have lost the fight. Instead of all the negative comments stirring up bad feeling (we do understand the feeling of loss), help us move forward and take the fight to the real enemy. Despite reports even us prosperous Kent boys don't have a bottomless pit of wonga, if we did not a single shooting area would be lost. In some parts of the country large areas of prime Wildfowling land have been lost to the shooting world for ever. Our enemies have more resources are better organised and more together than us. We must work together in these rapidly changing times or pay the ultimate price, no one (including KWCA) can do it alone. Stop the infighting, get behind the new BASC team and show some genuine spirit, without it our enemies will prosper.

That's all very well beauty, I've no reason to doubt you're an honest man, speaking honestly and you must be congratulated for taking the time and trouble to write so long and detailed a mail, but, I used to be able to shoot marshes I've known all my life, now Kent does. You have to see how that hurts. You have to.

You say that I could join Kent, (sigh, if I have to ask for one more reference I won't have a friend left speaking to me). However, if I did, I'd be paying an awful lot of money,(for a pensioner), for an awful lot of shooting I've no intention of taking advantage of and, put simply, I don't want Kents shooting, Kent is welcome to it, I want Norfolks and you're not welcome to that.

I'm sure there's pigeon shooters on here who've lost permissions thinking, what's all the fuss about, shut up and move on you moaning old goat, but it really isn't the same.

Thornham Wildfowlers were some 40 strong, all local, mostly old f*rts like myself, surely, even if EVERYTHING else you said was true, it didn't have to end up with them losing.

If that's, ''infighting'', or not showing, ''genuine spirit'', I'll live with it, but frankly and meaning no disrespect, I think all you and your boss are thinking about is what's best for Kent Wildfowlers. I can't criticise you much for that, it's your club after all, but don't expect me to stand shoulder to shoulder with you against the, ''real enemy'', I'm not totally convinced you aren't .

Hi to all, I have just joined the Forum and have just posted on the thread BASC Chairman. I stated on that thread that I was very disappointed with some of the comments being made on this thread concerning the KWCA and our Chairman Alan Jarrett. Some of these comments have even resulted in direct insults relating to Alan's parents. Very pleasant I'm sure. I have the pleasure to work along side Alan and others on KWCA Committee. There seems to be a general misconception from some about KWCA 's intentions. Along with these misunderstandings are comments that are at best misinformation and worst pure fantasy drawn from mostly rumour and innuendo and I'm convinced by some serious mischief making. Let me put a few points to deal with various claims made. Firstly KWCA did not and would not pinch Thornhams shooting, Thornham had already lost the shooting for several reasons before we ever came on the scene, despite what certain parties are saying. The danger at Thornham was either the loss of shooting completely or more likely a private shooting syndicate taking over. I know this to be true, I was at the meetings and whilst I am unable to discuss confidential club matters here, I can confirm that the owner Mr. Stephan Betts was very keen on the lease going to someone with a strong track record of land/shooting management who would include the local club and others, along of course with a reasonable return. I would suggest that Thornham should look to their own management practices when the only deal they could come up with was a joint venture with the RSPB which would have seen buffer zones and reduced shooting along with any other restraints RSPB could bring into play. If you don't believe me check with others who have RSPB involved and see if their happy with everything, particularly around severe weather issues. We have a good relationship with the local RSPB officers, as do others. But don't forget policy is made at a much higher level. The only reason to involve RSPB or any other such group is when it's the only game in town. If you are a non affiliated club and can't ask for help from the lead organisation and won't accept help from other local clubs and don't have the resources to go it alone. Don't expect KWCA to stand by and watch more shooting land go down the way of lots of other areas. In fact I say again, look at your own shortcomings and management. KWCA stepped in to keep Thornham from either an exclusive syndicate or possibly no shooting in the very near future, either way not much of a future for Thornham WA. Our period of control means anyone (Thornham members included) can join and shoot the marsh. Other comments that KWCA charge for permits is quite frankly wrong. Our full membership including BASC is £242 per annum. This we feel is tremendous value for money albeit I accept someway above the figures some clubs around the country charge, but it must be remembered that the world we live in now is very different from the one of my younger days. Land is in demand from lots of corners and I noticed that one member mentioned USELESS SALTINGS in his post. If anybody really believes that statement, wake up and smell the coffee. I digress, once you have paid your membership permits are completely free. If anyone feels that's not good value for helping to secure an area like Thornham without the other shooting opportunities we are able to offer in other areas, then I suggest we have lost the fight. Instead of all the negative comments stirring up bad feeling (we do understand the feeling of loss), help us move forward and take the fight to the real enemy. Despite reports even us prosperous Kent boys don't have a bottomless pit of wonga, if we did not a single shooting area would be lost. In some parts of the country large areas of prime Wildfowling land have been lost to the shooting world for ever. Our enemies have more resources are better organised and more together than us. We must work together in these rapidly changing times or pay the ultimate price, no one (including KWCA) can do it alone. Stop the infighting, get behind the new BASC team and show some genuine spirit, without it our enemies will prosper.

Just to say thanks for your post and welcome

And to make you aware of the PW charity raffle

On the just giving page

All new members are welcome to buy some tickets

All the best

Of

DNT I would guess you have only come onto this forum to put Kent WAs version of the events possibly under guidence from its officals. You apear to represent an organisation who wants to get hold of any available wildfowling ground and if any locals wish to continue to shoot the area they are going to pay a hell of a lot more and join your club if they wish to continue wildfowling.

You say "f you don't believe me check with others who have RSPB involved and see if their happy with everything, particularly around severe weather issues." Many of the local clubs already bring their own restrictions well before any BASC warnings during severe weather so we have a similar outlook there to the RSPB in N Norfolk.

The RSPB is not considered to be a serious threat to my wildfowling localy Kent WA and its agressive policy of so called saving wildfowling is a major threat to all wildfowlers who are not members of the club.

Quote "I noticed that one member mentioned USELESS SALTINGS in his post." I guess you are talking about my comment " worthless " . Well until Kent WA came into the area flashing huge sums of money that was how some landowners regarded the marshes. I know one club who had several hundred acres of foreshore that had very good flight lines of pink feet over it along with good numbers of duck at times for the huge sum of £1 a year , that was until a southern club started to flash the cash.

Edited by anser2

5 pages and not one mention the effects the Common Rights Outsiders had on the Pinks at Brancaster !!!!! 6 years due HIGH shooting pressure they moved them on. Slowly the Pinks built up in Thornham Bay along come Kent Wildfowlers and in spite of so called controlled shooting they are for sure having the same effect on the Pinks. These small bay roosts WON'T take the pressure they are getting eg 3 Kent members having 47 shots at Pinks under the moon !!!! Yes FACT not rumours or fiction. And caused the Pinks to move on. That's something to be really proud of NOT.

5 pages and not one mention the effects the Common Rights Outsiders had on the Pinks at Brancaster !!!!! 6 years due HIGH shooting pressure they moved them on. Slowly the Pinks built up in Thornham Bay along come Kent Wildfowlers and in spite of so called controlled shooting they are for sure having the same effect on the Pinks. These small bay roosts WON'T take the pressure they are getting eg 3 Kent members having 47 shots at Pinks under the moon !!!! Yes FACT not rumours or fiction. And caused the Pinks to move on. That's something to be really proud of NOT.

You are bang in with your point of poor sportsmanship when shooting at high birds and over shooting.

I don't think for one moment that KW has the intention of over shooting or shooting excess numbers. With regard to Thornham there is a bag limit for geese and only 3 guns per day over a 5 day period to try and prevent this from happening. There will always be the case of a small number of individual shooting at birds out of range or shooting more than most would deem to suffice most sportsman. On the whole when I have shot Thornham I have had no experience of individuals shooting in the manner as described above. When I was last down that way shooting there were still good numbers of pinks using the roost.

Can I ask how can you be sure that it was Kwca members.

How do you know they were shooting just pinks. If so do you know when it happened.

They come over differently now too, they stay over the sands until they reach level with the Holme Reserve, next to Ragged Marsh that I still shoot.

Then they cross, they're safe there of course, right until Heacham Wildfowlers, but the, rare, goose shot there comes from the Wash, not the North Norfolk coast.

It's only when they are heading for the 'beet fields to the south that they must run the gauntlet.

I don't suppose it'll be long before someone who's travelled a long, long way for a goose will go onto the sands after them; they won't stand for that.

Geese under the moon of course can prove to be much easier to ambush. They seem to lose some of their caution. I hope whoever shoots them, local, or ''foreigner'', shows restraint.