.22 rimfire accuracy???

it all depends on how good a shot you are and how much impact you need at any given range. I can head shoot rabbit out to 80 yard and as shown on any box the 22 is lethal out to 1.6km or 1 mile. if you go on youtube there are tests on the range and leathality of the 22lr and on iraqveteran888 they are showing that it is accurate enough and powerful enough to do a person serious damage at 300 yards. I shoot nsra target at 100 mtrs prone and we are talking accurate. SO its back to the first sentence.

Edited by fortune

Nonsence! I was clobbering rabbits on a destruction job beyond 100yds last week.

Harvested thousands of rabbits via head shots mostly 50yds and under but the odd 70 yard shot comes in.

U

not nonsence to you fortune! You beat me to it!

Edited by Underdog

Ammo and dileing in - holdover is the key. I have a cz 455 and will do 5 shots through the same hole at 25yrds indoors off a bipod with eley sport,win subs wont do that in my rifle. As said have a look on youtube some american guys shooting 300-400 yards. Im zeroed at 25yrds on mine because that what I do mainly.

On bulls-eye targets at 100m our prone shooters, using just aperture sights, give us full-bore folks, with state of the art optics, a run for our money. The only advantage we get is less drift in wind.

Edited by rem708

in my humble opinion using words like accuracy in the same sentence as 22lr should not be allowed.yes people hit rabbits (great big things) at 100 but an accurate rifle will shoot .25 allmost a bunnys eye at 100 every time. even 1 moa is ok but i personally have never had a 22lr that will even comew close. :) others have :rolleyes::whistling:

in my humble opinion using words like accuracy in the same sentence as 22lr should not be allowed.yes people hit rabbits (great big things) at 100 but an accurate rifle will shoot .25 allmost a bunnys eye at 100 every time. even 1 moa is ok but i personally have never had a 22lr that will even comew close. :) others have :rolleyes::whistling:

And that level of accuracy is gained by shooting off hand is it.....like I was shooting the rabbits off hand!

One mans level of accuracy is another's folly, however the OP was told 60yds (or rather it was suggested) is a maximum which I am sure you will agree is nonsense.

If some people like shooting bug holes all day that is fine, usually most find it a pointless exercise....in the end.

U :)

Muzzle 50 yards 100 yards

ft/sec ft/lbs ft/sec ft/lbs ft/sec ft/lbs

RWS Subsonic HP .22 LR 40 gr 1000 / 90 915 / 75 835 / 60

RWS High Velocity HP .22 LR 40 gr 1310 / 150 1120 / 110 990 / 85

Plenty of retained energy at 60 yards as you can see. All you've got to do is put the bullet in the right place.

Edited by Whitebridges

I don'.t really understand the point that this post is making. If you think that the 22lr is not accurate then I suggest that you go down to your local small bore rifle club and have a look at the competition cards. My 22lr is more accurate than my 22 centrefire rifles even with carefully hand loaded rounds. That's why more 22lr ammo is used in the world than any other caliber and that's even in the USA.

And that level of accuracy is gained by shooting off hand is it.....like I was shooting the rabbits off hand!

One mans level of accuracy is another's folly, however the OP was told 60yds (or rather it was suggested) is a maximum which I am sure you will agree is nonsense.

If some people like shooting bug holes all day that is fine, usually most find it a pointless exercise....in the end.

U :)

Yes. I agree with the above. Rabbit shooting is rabbit shooting as long as the shoot is humane and it clears the problem then it has achieved it's intention.

My 22lr is more accurate than my 22 centrefire rifles even with carefully hand loaded rounds.

You can't be serious!

When shot at 100 yds, with the very best match ammunition, shot in the very best match rifle with the very best scope and shot in an indoor range from a solid bench and solid rest with an experienced shooter, the .22lr can be beaten every time by a fairly modest centrefire setup.

I would happily bet I could place 10 or 20 consecutive shots within the 10 ring of the NSRA 100 yd with by home built 6mmbr but I wouldn't put any money on me doing it with my Sako Finnfire or my CM-2 Russian target rifle, even with the best match ammunition.

Hi guys im currently in the process of getting a .22 rf, but how far is a .22 consistantly accurate too. i heared that you shouldent shoot

a .22 over 60 yards, is that right???/

Thanks guys

With a bit of practice and especially if using a bipod, you should be able to get every shot into a one inch circle at 80 yards.

When you take delivery of your new gun, just get 1 box each of several different makes of ammunition and see what gives the tightest groups.

Just make sure that you spend some time shooting paper targets and learning your trajectory before attempting rabbits.

The .22LR is capable of 1 moa at 100 yards, some can produce better and some do worse but 1" at 100 yards 5 shots is about the standard. It has the lethality to kill bunnies as far as you can see them with the naked eye and good eyes at that! But few can call the shoot that far.

One important factor in .22 ability to produce high standards of accuracy at extended ranges is the ammo. At 50 yards I could feed my LR just about any cheap sub and it will hold onto the accuracy sufficient to headshot rabbits without letting me down, at 100 or over it needs select stuff to do the same.

The actual range you can guarantee clean one shot kills depends on the weather on the day in question and the shooter, all the laser rangefinders and fancy scopes in the world will not help if you lack the personal ability

True but range finders give you an accurate range to target, this , in turn with the distance your rifle is zeroed in at takes most if not all the guess work out. Its then still down to the shooter. I have mine zeroed in at 60 meters, works well for me, most of the time

The .22LR is capable of 1 moa at 100 yards, some can produce better and some do worse but 1" at 100 yards 5 shots is about the standard. It has the lethality to kill bunnies as far as you can see them with the naked eye and good eyes at that! But few can call the shoot that far.

One important factor in .22 ability to produce high standards of accuracy at extended ranges is the ammo. At 50 yards I could feed my LR just about any cheap sub and it will hold onto the accuracy sufficient to headshot rabbits without letting me down, at 100 or over it needs select stuff to do the same.

The actual range you can guarantee clean one shot kills depends on the weather on the day in question and the shooter, all the laser rangefinders and fancy scopes in the world will not help if you lack the personal ability

:good:

Hi guys im currently in the process of getting a .22 rf, but how far is a .22 consistantly accurate too. i heared that you shouldent shoot

a .22 over 60 yards, is that right???/

Thanks guys

The 22LR can be accurate much further than that, but add in factors like unknown range, unknown wind, failing light, strained firing position and buck fever and you can see why it's common to see novice hunters advised to keep the ranges short.

It's as accurate as it needs to be for rabbits. We regularly head shoot them at around the 80yd mark (our game dealer wont take them any other way) and that's all the accuracy I need. I'm not really interested in MOA as I just shoot rabbits with my .22rf, not comp's. So long as they're humanely killed then that'll do for me.

It's as accurate as it needs to be for rabbits. We regularly head shoot them at around the 80yd mark (our game dealer wont take them any other way) and that's all the accuracy I need. I'm not really interested in MOA as I just shoot rabbits with my .22rf, not comp's. So long as they're humanely killed then that'll do for me.

:good:

The .22LR is capable of 1 moa at 100 yards, some can produce better and some do worse but 1" at 100 yards 5 shots is about the standard.

Now come on Kent - Do you really believe that?

5 shot 1" groups do come up, but they are far from standard. By making a claim like that, many shooters, who may be new to the game, will think they have a problem when their standard .22 sporting rifle, with a mediocre 3lb trigger on a wobbly Chinese bipod and local Hollow Point ammunition will only put 5 shots into 2" at 100yds.

I think there are very few genuine .22lr 5 shot x 1"/100 yds rifle/ammunition combination out there if you don't discount the flyers.

Just take a look at the Eley test results. These are record groups, top quality match rifles, clamped in vices in concrete benches with the best of the best ammunition.

13.9 mm at 50 mtrs., that's not far off half an inch. Yes I know we can all do better groups but you can't just select 5 lucky shots and call it "standard".

http://www.eley.co.uk/en/test-ranges/

Scroll down these targets and see what the ammunition you are using can do in perfect conditions.

http://www.accuratereloading.com/2009/bl100.html

The

Well I'll be.

All of us that shoot all those rabbits had better apologise for our misleading statements. It seems we are all talking total nonsense. I'm not sure what "local hollow point is though. I generally use RWS hp myself.

The .22lr is an excellent round and has scarcely changed since the Cutty Sark was launched. I love shooting the .22lr, in competition and in the field. It's cheap, quiet and reasonably accurate and is the ideal round for small game and vermin control.

However - It does not have magic powers, it does not have laser like accuracy and has the ballistic coefficient of a turnip. The archaic heeled bullet design holds it back. It's dirty to shoot and the residue is abrasive and clogs up any semi-auto action. The requirement for exterior lubrication causes it's own problems, dirt and dust stick to it and it changes consistency with temperature.

When shot through the chronograph, rounds from the same box are often found to be inconsistent and it varies from batch to batch. These imperfections don't usually cause much concern at 50-70 yards but become increasingly a problem at extended distances.

This is a real life shooting at 100 yards, not idea conditions but at least it's "real world" groups rather than "internet" groups.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cR7b3fx8kVk

The top two targets were shot under carefully controlled conditions in an indoor range from a solid bench and fixed rests by skilled shooters.

The bottom two targets were shot by me with a 6mm centrefire rifle. Both 5 shot groups, the first at 220yds and the second at 100 yds.

th_22groups_zps770405f7.jpg