Xtrema vs maxus

matty*

Ok so ive had my xtrema for around a year and dont get on to bad with it but just latly ive found myself looking at synthetic maxus. Theres just somthing about them that makes them look nice to swing from a hide. So what would people do stick with the xtrema or try a maxus. What has the maxus got over an xtrema?

And info welcome

Matty

I have an Extrema. Just took it to pieces to clean it properly. First time I have done so.

Its such a good gun, I couldnt improve on it and will never sell it.

Doesnt mean you cant be attracted by other guns but this is undoubtedly the semi auto for me, I just dont have to look for another.

Stay with the Beretta, while the Maxus is an inherently good design, with an excellent track record, I was really disappointed with the build quality of mine, loads of shortcuts and built to a price. The machining and coatings on my synthetic were on a par with Hatsans latest offering, the Extreme Max. I got shot of my Hatsan :bye2: to have a Maxus, for wildfowling. I made a mistake. The Maxus has since gone too... less than 6 mnths. Just didn't gel with it, but am an avid Browning fan, and have been for years. I still have 3! My opinion, for what its worth on Maxus vs. Extrema...... Stay with the Italian! :)

Edit: I have used an Extrema both in the field and on the clay ground

Edited by wraivi

Having recent experience of BOTH, I would not go near the Maxus. Having used my 391 for some 15 years without any problems at all, my shooting friend bought a Browning Maxus in wood. When I came to shoot it, it was as I had suspected, a Winchester X3, with one or two exceptions. The stupid forend catch means that the forend is constantly loose, which I found very off putting. It did have the Winchester clunk click, every trip, syndrome. I do not know what it is, but the X3/Maxus has some kind of mechanical clanking and grinding going on when it cycles and feels horrible. I did own the Fannygun for a short time and that was the same. My friend stuck it for 2 weeks or so but now has a synthetic 391 and would NOT go back. Form your own opinions, BUT, I urge you to 'try before you buy'. Maybe a 300 or even a 400 would be a better option.

I have not owned a Maxus so I can't really comment on them, though I do not desire one. My xtrema has been a very faithful servant, be it on goose, duck, pigeon or clay. I would only get a different semi 12 if my xtrema ever gets worn out. I would then probably get an A400.

I have a SX3,basically a Maxus and the new Beretta a400 xtreme would be my choice as it just fits me better. My clay gun is a Beretta. The cost for aA 400 Xtreme for a Wildfowling only gun is just too much for me, as I shoot the Beretta 682 Gold E for everything else.

The only concern I would have Beretta wise is the rotating bolt wearing out as this has been a problem and the rubber wearing and coming away on the synthetic models.

Figgy

Edited by figgy

Used maxus, sx3 and xtrema2 extensively. My thoughts are:

All 3 are very good guns.

The xtrema 2 will cycle anything. The maxus and sx3,(that I've used) will cycle any weight if cartridge provided the case is long enough,(70mm).

I find the xtrema2 too heavy for my liking. The sx3 and maxus are much quicker handling,(important if you're trying to shoot teal in half light).

The maxus has a speed loading and unloading feature which I'm a big fan off. Very handy for switching cartridges out on a flight.

The cammo on the maxus stays on very well,(several years of hard use). The black finish on the xtrema and sx3 scratches off.

Build quality. All good. Maxus stock feels a little hollow, as does maybe the sx3.

My choice is the maxus. Then the sx3 and then the xtrema2. The beretta is a good goose gun but too hefty for a duck flight.

Thanks for all your input.

Ive decided to keep the xtrema for now but tidy it up a bit. Barrels could do with a coat of somthing to bring them back looking nice but i dont really no what to use. Any forts?

Plus the fore end could do with a new rubber insert or replacing all together aswell if i could find one.

Thanks

Matty

Used maxus, sx3 and xtrema2 extensively. My thoughts are:

All 3 are very good guns.

The xtrema 2 will cycle anything. The maxus and sx3,(that I've used) will cycle any weight if cartridge provided the case is long enough,(70mm).

I find the xtrema2 too heavy for my liking. The sx3 and maxus are much quicker handling,(important if you're trying to shoot teal in half light).

The maxus has a speed loading and unloading feature which I'm a big fan off. Very handy for switching cartridges out on a flight.

The cammo on the maxus stays on very well,(several years of hard use). The black finish on the xtrema and sx3 scratches off.

Build quality. All good. Maxus stock feels a little hollow, as does maybe the sx3.

My choice is the maxus. Then the sx3 and then the xtrema2. The beretta is a good goose gun but too hefty for a duck flight.

Really? I have had some cracking duck flights with my xtrema and I've never thought it's too 'hefty'.

Really? I have had some cracking duck flights with my xtrema and I've never thought it's too 'hefty'.

Barrel length probably has a lot to do with it. The beretta I've used is a 32" barrel. I went for a 26" maxus. It's not hefty compared to using a 10 bore but I wouldn't call it 'lightweight' either? What I will say is the xtrema2 is a big improvement on the origional xtrema!