rspb and m&s

novice cushie shooter

Its not just antis tho is it its the rspb a charity with her majestys approved seal. Wonder if she will boycott m and s!!! Ha ha

Except it's not the RSPB who are complaining...it's Mark Avery who used to work for the RSPB. He left a couple of years ago.

The way I read it the RSPB and GWCT are working together, alongside M&S to ensure good practice in the supply of grouse.

Edited by poontang

Quote "as it comes from an industry that reeks of criminality." & "ilegal shoots" can these statments be justified or are they just using these words to scare the retailers of.

I dont have any idea of how many Grouse are shot in the UK but i would presume that the majority are processed via a game dealer or are bought direct from the estates that have the shoots on them.

M&S may not be able to source enough at a cheap price for them to process for there particular market.

Anaway who is this Mark Avery? big into tree huging no doubt and maby a vegie?

Google him

Ex RSPB big wig, now a campaigning blogger, good at getting publicity for his cause.

He has started an e-petition calling for the banning of driven grouse shooting

His issue is the persecution of raptors, and in particular Hen Harriers, on moors managed for driven grouse shooting. And has come to the conclusion that since all other routes have failed to address the problem the only way to stop hen harriers being killed is to stop driven grouse shooting.

Except it's not the RSPB who are complaining...it's Mark Avery who used to work for the RSPB. He left a couple of years ago.

The way I read it the RSPB and GWCT are working together, alongside M&S to ensure good practice in the supply of grouse.

Ive not been involved in grouse for a couple of years now but there was never any issues with shot game to the dealer. So what the 'good practice' part means ive no idea.

mark avery seems a trumpet.

Google him

Ex RSPB big wig, now a campaigning blogger, good at getting publicity for his cause.

He has started an e-petition calling for the banning of driven grouse shooting

His issue is the persecution of raptors, and in particular Hen Harriers, on moors managed for driven grouse shooting. And has come to the conclusion that since all other routes have failed to address the problem the only way to stop hen harriers being killed is to stop driven grouse shooting.

The RSPB ground staff generally seem very glad he has gone when you speak to them, he is not and never was interested in conservation in my opinion just his own anti agenda (I think his current actions calling for a ban are proving that one) . Its funny how all the Hen Harriers in England this year are nesting on Grouse moors that are actively shot, yet we are often the villains, not like the RSPB don't have any moorland is it now.

If anyone reading this hasn't responded to the online petition to enact the Hen harrier conservation plan (sent by BASC), please do so. Both in terms of conservation of the harrier (but also politically)were it might end up alienating "a certain body" or ending this backstabbing for good. Read the plan some very interesting stuff in it

The RSPB ground staff generally seem very glad he has gone when you speak to them, he is not and never was interested in conservation in my opinion just his own anti agenda (I think his current actions calling for a ban are proving that one) . Its funny how all the Hen Harriers in England this year are nesting on Grouse moors that are actively shot, yet we are often the villains, not like the RSPB don't have any moorland is it now.If anyone reading this hasn't responded to the online petition to enact the Hen harrier conservation plan (sent by BASC), please do so. Both in terms of conservation of the harrier (but also politically)were it might end up alienating "a certain body" or ending this backstabbing for good. Read the plan some very interesting stuff in it

thanks for posting

The RSPB ground staff generally seem very glad he has gone when you speak to them, he is not and never was interested in conservation in my opinion just his own anti agenda (I think his current actions calling for a ban are proving that one) . Its funny how all the Hen Harriers in England this year are nesting on Grouse moors that are actively shot, yet we are often the villains, not like the RSPB don't have any moorland is it now.

If anyone reading this hasn't responded to the online petition to enact the Hen harrier conservation plan (sent by BASC), please do so. Both in terms of conservation of the harrier (but also politically)were it might end up alienating "a certain body" or ending this backstabbing for good. Read the plan some very interesting stuff in it

Ah but I am led to believe they do in the Trough of Boland - unfortunately, if the reports I have heard are correct the moorland they purchased and banned shooting over was well "suppied" with harriers (some 5/6 nesting pairs) within 2/3 years of the management for grouse shooting having stopped the number of pairs was down to zero nesting and only 1 transient/visiting pair. no moorland management for grouse - very little grouse habitat - very few grouse - no harriers ---- Simples!! - unfortunately some short sighted **** can't see this!

The simple facts of this issue which boil my blood are .

At no time have M&S either sought or considered the shoot owners / users points of view or opinions on these accusations of alleged criminality .

I have yet to see any sort of evidence ,physical ,documented ,or circumstantial to substantiate these allegations of criminality .

Regardless to the lack of facts in any shape or form M&S have chosen to believe this person and by association tarnished the reputation a good number of the shooting community ,without the right to reply .

Ah but I am led to believe they do in the Trough of Boland - unfortunately, if the reports I have heard are correct the moorland they purchased and banned shooting over was well "suppied" with harriers (some 5/6 nesting pairs) within 2/3 years of the management for grouse shooting having stopped the number of pairs was down to zero nesting and only 1 transient/visiting pair. no moorland management for grouse - very little grouse habitat - very few grouse - no harriers ---- Simples!! - unfortunately some short sighted **** can't see this!

Can i just say i actually live in Bowland and am fully aware of were the Harriers are nesting and its not on RSPB ground but leased syndicate shooting land (though they are present and bothering the birds so much with visits that the Farm is trying to flog them their old caravan :rolleyes: ). There is something myself and BASC northern have been working on over the last few weeks and i will report back more fully as and when i can say more.

The Hen Harrier recovery project is yet to be signed by RSPB last time i heard (Thursday gone) and carries compulsion on diversion feeding and also splitting broods for translocation (as they are coming back to were they themselves fledged). Currently one brood has almost fully fledged and the other isn't far off.

The previous loss of the Hen Harrier in my area co-insided with the last of the full time Grouse keepers retirement, we now have again full time Keepers here and the harrier is staging a recovery (that alone speaks volumes), some of the RSPB ground staff are great others just ill informed antis i suspect a certain guy influenced the latter being appointed.

I hope our shooting organisations are taking them to task over these allegations. I think if they got tied up in legal wranglings everytime they opened their mouths and accused illegal practices by the game industry they might start making sure of the facts with proof before letting rip with their diatribe.

Figgy

And here is the link for those that have not seen it posted in the Game Keeping section.

http://basc.org.uk/?wysija-page=1&controller=email&action=view&email_id=98&wysijap=subscriptions&user_id=705

I hope our shooting organisations are taking them to task over these allegations. I think if they got tied up in legal wranglings everytime they opened their mouths and accused illegal practices by the game industry they might start making sure of the facts with proof before letting rip with their diatribe.

Figgy

There are some real issues being looked at that are not liable to land us a big legal bill fighting a far more wealthy org. Obviously the RSPB know this, I think there is a very real chance for us to work together though for the good of all birds and constantly fighting is not going to help. If we wanted to cause a ruck its in the charity remit realm and yes are orgs know this fact full well, sign the petition to enact the recovery plan as it will do way more for us tactically and help the harriers no end