van broken into

gav05

Hi all iv just set my own company up plumbing and heating and ac engineer.iv been trading for two weeks now and some scum has broken in and stolen £1000 worth of makita power tools all new with 18v 4.0ah battery's that are new and not common as second hand kit.also a Samsung galaxy tab 3. I insured them all or so I thought but insurance wont pay as van was not in a locked compound and was on drive ####### small print. Anyway I'm in Northamptonshire near Corby if anyone hears anything please help.or contact me on this fine forum.

Its a sad state of affairs but I take most valuable stuff out every night if I have the van at my house. We live in a low crime area but were done over 2 years ago and some drills taken, this was at my dads house where the van was parked up his drive like it has done since he started trading as a heating engineer (40yrs).

About 6 other vans in the area were done on the same night too.

The barrel was just pulled out, a 10second job.

Mine was done as well as 9 others and a building site in the village. All they did was pull the lock you now can unlock it with any key. Oh and vauxhall say that's fine!!!! Im in a village and have had a van on the drive for the 4 years iv lived here and never had a issue just sometimes get complacent I guess.

I've had my van done twice now and the pipe taken out of the rack on top umpteen times. Completely infuriating, I hope I never catch them in the act or that would be the end of my certificate! Feel for you. It is worth fitting after market locks to the van as the original locks on vans are pathetic. Can't imagine how anyone designing a van wouldn't have security as one of the first priorities, but they clearly don't!

There was loads of stuff like copper and fittings and analyser was out of its case and switched on!!!! Not how I left it.core drill and core set and wet vac all brand new and they left it all and ignored it guess they got spooked or Didn't know what they were looking at. Iv got some serious security delivered now at a cost of 500 quid I would rather they asked for some Money then steel it as it will be sold for pence compared to the real value. Scum bags don't deserve to be breathing. I would be scared of the consequences if I had caught them...

Hi all iv just set my own company up plumbing and heating and ac engineer.iv been trading for two weeks now and some scum has broken in and stolen £1000 worth of makita power tools all new with 18v 4.0ah battery's that are new and not common as second hand kit.also a Samsung galaxy tab 3. I insured them all or so I thought but insurance wont pay as van was not in a locked compound and was on drive ####### small print. Anyway I'm in Northamptonshire near Corby if anyone hears anything please help.or contact me on this fine forum.

be very careful! my mate who is a plumber in London, had his van broken into and then a month later, the same happened in the same place! just long enough for him to replace everything with brand new tools!

Unfortunately there is market for the gear keep an eye on gumtree and ebay.....

Also mark everything with a UV pen, plod isn't interested unless you have CCTV and even then its hard to get your gear back. One trick with tools in boxes is run a cable (10mm+ security) through all the handles and lock them all together and to the van. Or a van vault and make sur eyou lock up screwdrivers etc as one guy had his stuff kicked as they used his bolt croppers to cut the hasp on lock box........

I've got insurance with the same people as my public liability, I'm sure I'm covered provided the van is locked. No other stipulations however they advised I photographed all my kit.

I do feel for you though, I only insured mine after they nicked it in the middle of the day on a main road, police wouldn't even come out

A tradesman that I used to know bought some brand new makita tools and paslode nail gun, he walked out the shop, and painted them all with silver spray paint. Waited for it to dry and then scratched/rubbed bits of paint off. The tools looked dog rough but he knew they were brand new and perfect condition. He reckons it stops people nicking because second hand value is poor for beaten up looking tools.

A tradesman that I used to know bought some brand new makita tools and paslode nail gun, he walked out the shop, and painted them all with silver spray paint. Waited for it to dry and then scratched/rubbed bits of paint off. The tools looked dog rough but he knew they were brand new and perfect condition. He reckons it stops people nicking because second hand value is poor for beaten up looking tools.

Clever. Like it.

Like the scaffolding company round our way who spray all their stuff bright pink - easy to spot, difficult to rub off and quite a trademark.

There's a thought, spray all your tools fluro pink (although the boys from Herts have been doing this for years already I bet)

Edited by Mungler

That looks like the business, but you would need one for every door on the van. Had mine done years ago along with several others on the estate, fortunately all the power tools bar a cheap angle grinder were locked in the cellar of the pub where I was working. Also took lead burning kit but ignored hand tools.

Blackpowder

When they did my van the last time they took my bag of hand tools, which was the most annoying thing of all. I had all sorts of odd tools and adaptations in there that were useful for specific jobs. I still come across things and think, I'll just get that special tool out, then remember it was pinched and have to find another way of doing the job. The power tools are easy to replace, just expensive. The hand tools are much harder to replace.

that's weird my employers van that we take home are parked on road side they are insured but they stipulate tools to be removed over night, but they are covered whilst working in properties and van parked at road side or even parked out of sight . hope your van is not vw transporter because they way they are getting into those is by the side door punching a hole the circumference of a baked bean can to gain access to door mech... major damage. company had about 15 done, and couple of mates who got same vans had theirs done too. they never bothered with back doors as they had chute type sec bolts on, and they never touched the vw crafters at all, they have alarms

I work for a vehicle security company and can tell you its so easy to open any vehicle, standard OEM vehicle security is very basic and easy to get around. We've seen an increase in vehicles being broken into as of late and the methods the scum are going to is amazing especially on vans ill try upload a picture of a van i went to this week where they just cut the side panel out to remove the contents without opening the doors. Alarms, sound bombs and tracker/pagers are the way to go I'm afraid.

Police came round tonight no good news just a check they said this outfit that have been doing it are pro's as they took a brand new bmw m3 from the village no keys were taken and all accounted for inside the house. So there really good iv had new van locks fitted and have cctv now and about 10 padlocks fitted. Also a pir alarm as recomended so if the come back the will really struggle.but like I say all new makita 4.0ah stuff. Only a few second hand on ebay atm but please all keep a eye out and a ear to the ground. Many thanks and cheers for the suggestions.