Put deposit on 682 Gold E - what extra's to get??

discobob

Hi Everybody,

well, after a successful interview yesterday the FEO told me to find a gun and put a deposit on it. I went to Bamfords this morning and ended up putting a deposit on a 682 Gold E 30" Sporter which looked to be in lovely condition. They have also said if I don't get on with it I can exchange and their used guns come with 3 months warranty. Had a bit of a reduction on the S/H price, and there is also a possibility of a slip being thrown in :). I already have a set on (Beratta) ear defenders, a Musto vest and a long hard case at home (been buying bits to quench my thirst while waiting for my ticket) - and I am now asking what to buy next, to compliment the new addition to my empty cabinet, to cover the next areas

Gun Care

what is recommended for the wood on the gun?

Cleaning

Any (complete) kits recommended for making sure it stays in tip top condition

Pimping etc

Should I really get into this at this early stage, and if so, what would be a good pimp for the gun - not for bling but would be good to have?

Any recommendations/advice will be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Bob (Steve)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use CCL Conditioning Oil for the wood on my Miroku MK38, along with a Bisley cleaning kit - both available from your local gunshop/Amazon.

Pimp-wise - how about a leather wallet for the SGC and some Teague chokes if your gun isn't fixed? Cartridge bag is probably a good idea too

Are you going to be shooting game or just clays? You mention the vest, so I presume you'll be shooting some clays, but if you're in a syndicate or getting out on some pigeons, I really like having my gloves and cartridge belt as "extras that aren't necessary but nice to have"

Edited by Flynn

Fair enough :)

You may well find that as your local ground is buying in bulk you can pick boxes of 25 up from them for less than you'd pay yourself, as you're not buying 10K at a time.

Some form of eye protection (I wear specs) to go with the ear defenders and a cap with a peak and you're all set!

Enjoy your shooting and may all your clays render unto dust.

If slip isn't thrown in, buy one, with a bit of padding. I used hard case at first, but it's a p.i.t.a, slip is so much less hassle day to day, and nice to have a bit of protection from elements and clumsiness, and to be able to sling over your shoulder and have hands free.

Fair enough :)

You may well find that as your local ground is buying in bulk you can pick boxes of 25 up from them for less than you'd pay yourself, as you're not buying 10K at a time.

Some form of eye protection (I wear specs) to go with the ear defenders and a cap with a peak and you're all set!

Enjoy your shooting and may all your clays render unto dust.

I will nick my son's Sébastien Ogier cap for a peak - I have a cheap pair of yellow tinted for eye protection that Beretta (PW handle) but would be looking to pick something better up ideally - so ay recommendations on eyewear (upto £40ish) would be appreciated - or any sunglasses that could also do the job would be good as I could extend the budget :lol: for the dual usage element as I need some new sunglasses as well

Buying cartridges as you go is the most expensive way to go does your club run a book system ? My local club Orston Shooting Ground run a system where people can buy 250 - 3000 cartridges and leave them at the club in the book ,every time you go if you use 4 boxes they are taken out the book ie buy 1000 =40 boxes use 4 ,36 left that way you get the volume discount.

The club is not always the cheapest though far better to keep them at home and shop around

Deershooter

Go to Aldi and buy the green fishing bags with the mesh pouches on the sides they make cracking cart bags. Also have a semi ridged zip open bottom for wet kit :good: I have four of them. Two for shooting others for fishing.

Forget bling for gun,buy some good shooting glasses,this time of year a pair of macwets shooting gloves.

Get a waterproof shooting jacket, Musto do a good one takes the D30 recoil pad same as your vest.

Best buy the wife something to get round her and buy as many carts as you can afford.

Figgy

Edited by figgy

Thanks for all the feedback guys

I know the carts may seem a bit OTT from SWMBO but she is over cautious with having kids in the house which I do respect. For the moment I will leave the status quo and preserve the peace. Also, what is the shelf life on cartridges??

I will have a look at the other items mentioned above with a look at purchasing some if not all :)

Jabb - how do you get on with your 682 Gold E??

http://www.britishmilitarysurplus.co.uk/shop/sale-items/revision-sawfly-impact-sun-g-1123881.html

http://www.strikeforcesupplies.co.uk/index.php?method=stock&id=20242

OK, these are 25 ish, but there are more. A lot seem out of stock at the moment, maybe waiting for the military to boot more out.

I bought a small pair ( small head! ) 3 weeks back for 21 plus post, and sold my medium pair on ebay for 25.

Google miltary surplus sawfly.

They come in black or sand coloured frames and 3 sizes of frame

I love the gun, and am just about to spend out getting the stock everso slightly tweeked. On reflection, I should have bought the adjustable stock, but hay ho.

Far better gun than the B125 Browning it replaced.

I looked into Muller chokes, but again, several coaches, Carl Bloxham being one, suggested you wouldn't see improvement over the stock chaokes as they were almost perfect

Hi Flynn,

Just shooting Clays - Wife would divorce me if I went after "live" targets

As for carts - I compromised with the Wife and will only be purchasing on site when I go - Depending on how often I end up getting to go and play - I may work on her about this :lol:

Steve

yeah my wife doesn't like guns either and didn't want live kills either,no carts in the house!!!

I have 3 guns

5000 thousand carts in the house

and shot 40 pigeons yeasterday

i love the compromise in marrage

Edited by retromlc

Essentials are:

Ear defenders - TOP priority - absolutely essential

Peaked cap

Glasses (unless you already wear them)

Decent cleaning rod, Payne Gallwey pattern brass/bronze brush, either wool mop or Payne Gallwey pattern bristle brush, can Young's 303

Gun sleeve

Highly desirables include:

Light oil, grease, pipe cleaners, toothbrush

Cartridge bag

Also rans include:

Hard case

Large Selvyt (or similar) cloth

Snap caps

Walnut oil

Rangoon oil

Brass jag and patches (or 4x2)

Things I personally don't use on guns (other than major strip down and refinish work):

WD40

Wirewool

Abrasives of any type