How long ?

Gunman

Tomorrow the 26 August it will be 46years since I walked through the doors on the first day of my apprenticeship . Some days it seems like only yesterday but on others it seems a distant memory .

Problem is I found myself talking to a youngster about "when I was your age " and I suddenly thought "Oh my God I sound like my Granddad " then it dawned on me I am now old enough to have been his Granddad. Do we all get like this and if so is there a cure ?

Tomorrow the 26 August it will be 46years since I walked through the doors on the first day of my apprenticeship . Some days it seems like only yesterday but on others it seems a distant memory .

Problem is I found myself talking to a youngster about "when I was your age " and I suddenly thought "Oh my God I sound like my Granddad " then it dawned on me I am now old enough to have been his Granddad. Do we all get like this and if so is there a cure ?

I'm 48 and work with a lad who's mother I went to school with , makes me feel old lol

that's one long apprenticeship, the other week went to a lad who works at our place's 18 used to go out drinking with his father, but life is what you pack into it, I sometimes think 22 more seasons and I will be 65 will I still be capable of walking out to my favourite spots.

It is strange how when we get older time seems to go quicker, the seasons fly by. One theory is that we measure time by our own life span. Therefore the time between you being 10 years old and 15 years old is 5 years therefore 50% of your life span. Then when you are say 50 years old the time it takes for you to be 55 years of age is only 10% of your life span. Hence it I appears a lot less. Not sure of the fundamental premiss of this theory, but it's certainly got my vote

State of mind is all OK but I have to remember that sometimes it is a state of mind. In my mind I'm in my early thirties like I was when I moved a piano into the house unaided .30 years on I tried to move it out on my own "cos' I got it in" .Big mistake.

lol i keep wanting to play one last game of rugby but i know what will happen if i do

colin

No cure, I'm not as old but find myself thinking what the hell are they teaching them these days. There coming out their time not knowing any where near enough. By 18 we were on our own being supervised by tradesmen and asked if we didn't know.

The rumblings of old **** :lol: twenty nine years since I started my apprenticeship.

Figgy

Edited by figgy

When I first started in my job at sixteen

The people I care for had lived though Two wars

and where into the likes of Glen Miller and all the Big bands

Am still in the same job but now it's anything from the 70s

I even go into one care home, where you often hear the Sex Pistols

playing down the corridors,

That's when I know time is catching up with me !

xxxxSuzy

It is strange how when we get older time seems to go quicker, the seasons fly by. One theory is that we measure time by our own life span. Therefore the time between you being 10 years old and 15 years old is 5 years therefore 50% of your life span. Then when you are say 50 years old the time it takes for you to be 55 years of age is only 10% of your life span. Hence it I appears a lot less. Not sure of the fundamental premiss of this theory, but it's certainly got my vote

Ive been trying to find an optimistic angle to this but all i can come up with is that when some poor young lady is wiping your backside for you when you cant reach, the time will pass quick. NURSE :sad1:

xxxxSuzy you must be looking after a few of my generation playing the WHO (hope i die before i get old) now that would crack me up walking around the ward :)

Edited by islandgun

We had a family do a few weeks ago.

In years gone by there would have been grandparents, parents, uncles, aunts, brothers, sisters and cousins there.

This time there was only one uncle. Everyone else were cousins, brothers, sisters and lots of grandchildren, nephews and nieces. Apart from my uncle I was in the most senior echelon with all the other generations below me.

Brought it home to me that I'm now elderly :/

We had a family do a few weeks ago.

In years gone by there would have been grandparents, parents, uncles, aunts, brothers, sisters and cousins there.

This time there was only one uncle. Everyone else were cousins, brothers, sisters and lots of grandchildren, nephews and nieces. Apart from my uncle I was in the most senior echelon with all the other generations below me.

Brought it home to me that I'm now elderly :/

:lol: Strange that... my grand dad had a particular philosophy about growing old he used to say... "Mike you will also notice a symptom of getting old is the strange necessity to attend more and more funerals until you realise that the next one is going to be your own"

The funny thing about this old age thing is that it doesn't last very long

Don't ever turn some thing down that you want to do because one day you won't be able to do it .

Trust me I have lost both legs although I still go shooting it's not like laying in the hedge bottom waiting for a fox with all the other wildlife that you see .

Get out there and do it while you can

Happy shooting

Deershooter

Live for today as tomorrow may never come.

But make allowances as most times it will.

Enjoy what you do as when time stops you from doing it, you'll have your memories to look back on.

You tend to only notice your age when you become the next generation, your children become you, you become your parents, they the grandparents and you realise they won't always be there. You then take stock and realisation hits, you are old to the younger ones.

Figgy

Live for today as tomorrow may never come.

But make allowances as most times it will.

Enjoy what you do as when time stops you from doing it, you'll have your memories to look back on.

You tend to only notice your age when you become the next generation, your children become you, you become your parents, they the grandparents and you realise they won't always be there. You then take stock and realisation hits, you are old to the younger ones.

Figgy

I like that Figgy, kind of profound.

some years ago when I was in hospital someone a couple of beds down had a couple come to visit the man was in his seventies with what I thought was his young wife she had 3" high heels skin tight jeens a tight top with big boobies and blond hair up in a pony tail it was only when she got up to leave that I notised that she was a bit unsteady on her pins and she must have been in her late seventies I did not no weather to laugh or cry in fact I just felt very sad for her.