SCOTLAND

four-wheel-drive

Again rhetoric and absolutely no substance Crowdie.

Tell you what, just focussing on the last part of the last sentence of the quote that you just cut and pasted or regurgitated from somewhere else, why don't you post something from the SNP or Yes campaign that states exactly what policies they plan to put in place that will deliver "far greater benefits for the people living here"

Quantify that statement.

GRRCLARK- its politics-its all rhetoric you smart ****..........................

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two things strike me from this thread. 1) i dont think the majority off all scots hate the english as is being made out by a few on here. Tbh the only time i get worked up is when the footy commentstors mention 1966 for the hundredth time in the 1st half!! It seems there is more dislike from england now than ever.

the second point is why cant it be a 60/40 vote in order to gain independance as 51/49 does not show outright demand for independance.

I also think it should be compulsory to vote, not just in this but in every election, that way in theory you get a true representation.

I have lost times how many people whinge about the state of this or that,

When I ask if they have voted they say no, it wouldn't make a difference, that's apathy.

I voted in every election, general or local since I turned 18

:shaun:

Play nicely Crowdie and do try your best not to live up to stereotypes. It has been a really good thread, emotive certainly, but in the majority polite and reasonable.

Politics is not all rhetoric, it certainly has become far too much like that in this referendum debate, hence the reason I was asking you to quantify the statement that you posted. It was and remains a polite request, having gone to the effort of making the statement would you care to quantify it?

What policies they (SNP/Yes campaign) plan or propose to put in place that will deliver "far greater benefits for the people living here"?

Two things strike me from this thread. 1) i dont think the majority off all scots hate the english as is being made out by a few on here. Tbh the only time i get worked up is when the footy commentstors mention 1966 for the hundredth time in the 1st half!! It seems there is more dislike from england now than ever.

the second point is why cant it be a 60/40 vote in order to gain independance as 51/49 does not show outright demand for independance.

I think it stems from the last referendum in 1979, there were conditions associated with that which it was claimed denied independence.

In order to make sure that the result cannot be contested it had to be a simple yes/no question with a simple majority to win. In theory if only 3 people were to vote then the outcome would still be binding.

The can be no ambiguity with a yes/no question and a simple majority.

Continual references to 1966 grips me as well, but i guess we keep going on about Archie Gemmill's goal against the Dutch in 1979 and I dare say the same will happen with Andy Murray and Wiimbledon :)

I also think it should be compulsory to vote, not just in this but in every election, that way in theory you get a true representation.

I have lost times how many people whinge about the state of this or that,

When I ask if they have voted they say no, it wouldn't make a difference, that's apathy.

I voted in every election, general or local since I turned 18

:shaun:

thing is Salmond has 16 year olds brainwashed so next thing the 16 year olds will want -to drive at 16 ,drink [legally] at 16 ?

I think it stems from the last referendum in 1979, there were conditions associated with that which it was claimed denied independence.

In order to make sure that the result cannot be contested it had to be a simple yes/no question with a simple majority to win. In theory if only 3 people were to vote then the outcome would still be binding.

The can be no ambiguity with a yes/no question and a simple majority.

Continual references to 1966 grips me as well, but i guess we keep going on about Archie Gemmill's goal against the Dutch in 1979 and I dare say the same will happen with Andy Murray and Wiimbledon :)

glad its not just me it irks! Though it works both ways a good example being the british strawbs and scottish rasps. Thats fair enough i was born in 79 and havent looked up the history rgrds the last indyref.

I still think that the way it is with the majority win is that if it is 51/49 vote to decide such a major political landmark should have to be a larger majority yes/no as we are at risk of dividing our nation not to mention the possible resentment from other areas of the uk.

thing is Salmond has 16 year olds brainwashed so next thing the 16 year olds will want -to drive at 16 ,drink [legally] at 16 ?

Pleasingly from most of the polls the kids at 16 are actually favouring the No campaign, it is the 25-65 age group I think that are the mainstay of the Yes side. Either just young enough to have been brainwashed by the SNP/Labour campaigns that the Tories killed Scotland or of an age where they lived through the later stages of the decline of large chunks of industrial Scotland and are happy to play the victim card and blame the government as the doers of all evil.

Pleasingly from most of the polls the kids at 16 are actually favouring the No campaign, it is the 25-65 age group I think that are the mainstay of the Yes side. Either just young enough to have been brainwashed by the SNP/Labour campaigns that the Tories killed Scotland or of an age where they lived through the later stages of the decline of large chunks of industrial Scotland and are happy to play the victim card and blame the government as the doers of all evil.

Have to admit I'm pleasantly surprised by that, I had thought SNP had included that age group because they'd be impressionable, how refreshing to hear that doesn't appear to have been the case. Good on them!

Not really. The main racial types are Caucasoid, mongoloid and negroid. Putting aside any English or Scots people who fall under the latter racial groupings and concentrating on the historic antipathy that formed between the two nations, then those antipathies grew between peoples of the same racial stock i.e. Caucasoid. Therefore it is not racist

It is anti nation or anti ethnic however.

Sorry for being pedantic :-)

Be as pedantic as you want, I think every one gets the jist :no: .

Have to admit I'm pleasantly surprised by that, I had thought SNP had included that age group because they'd be impressionable, how refreshing to hear that doesn't appear to have been the case. Good on them!

The SNP shot themselves in the foot on that one. Stands to reason when you think about it, younger people are far more likely to be bothered to find out about the subject if they are going to go to the effort to vote. And so by definition they will vote no.

And its not 'anti nation' the word you're looking for is xenophobic ;)

Edited by srspower

Thats the ones who take the time to think , what about our record for teenage smack heads and drunk kids {we do top all polls for that] if the result is decided by this group ?Salmond would lay on smack and buckfast for that group vote

Edited by graiglearn

I have not been paying too much attention to this aspect of the whole thing.

What is supposed to be happening to the likes of the Scots Guards and all those other fine bodies of Scottish fighting men feared the world over.

Are these ancient regiments to be reduced to mere border guards or to ceremonial dandies if they are no longer a part of the British Army?

What is supposed to be happening to the likes of the Scots Guards and all those other fine bodies of Scottish fighting men feared the world over.

Are these ancient regiments to be reduced to mere border guards or to ceremonial dandies if they are no longer a part of the British Army?

As I understand it the regiments would continue to exist as part of the British Army. The members of the Scottish regiments could transfer to a new Scottish defence force or stay in the British Army. At least that is what has been proposed from the SNP side and so far as I have seen there is not a contradictory statement from Whitehall in that respect.

I guess time will tell if there is a yes vote.

16 year olds may want to go to uni in England without paying international student fees. They aren't stupid.

As I understand it the regiments would continue to exist as part of the British Army. The members of the Scottish regiments could transfer to a new Scottish defence force or stay in the British Army. At least that is what has been proposed from the SNP side and so far as I have seen there is not a contradictory statement from Whitehall in that respect.

I guess time will tell if there is a yes vote.

On one of TV debates the leader of the Scottish Conservative party said the SNP's SDF would number 3,500 men. She pointed out that behind every front line soldier there needed to be about 3 other servicemen in support leaving a battalion sized fighting force…..

Edited by Laird Lugton

Sadly other than the Scots Guards, the other famous Scottish Regiments do not exist as a Regiment any more.

Its a bit tiresome everytime a respected expert in their field makes a comment the yessers just dismiss it as scaremongering. When the gov BoE says no ccy union people should start to listen. When Standard Life say they have made plans to move, this is not as salmond says you are just moving a brass plaque and a registered office this means jobs, salmond talks about creating jobs for the 30000 students that leave Scotland evey year, 30000? How? Ideal and practice are two very different things. No matter what the outcome the country will be by the outcome!

That means we are more likely to make the right choices for our society and our economy - and to make decisions that mean our huge wealth delivers far greater benefits for the people living here.

'Our huge wealth'.

So you've bought the SNP's lies?

They look at the tax returns of the country as we are now, an integral part of the UK, add oil money and BINGO, we're all loaded!

What they haven't taken into account is the financial services industry moving (as several large firms have confirmed they will do). That's say £5 Billion of the £7 Billion disappeared, and a load of high end well paid jobs.

As I said in a previous post, a vast majority of the defence industry depends on being in the UK. The site I'm on has an annual sales target of £500 Million, I think there are 6 or 7 similar site

in Scotland. Say half that goes (where I am they will close the site), that's another £3 Billion gone, and a load of high end well paid jobs.

The navy ship that are being build on the Clyde will go to Portsmouth. I'm sure they're dying for a vote to split. That's another £400 million gone.

Also Scotland is pretty depenent on public sector jobs....

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/pse/public-sector-employment/q2-2013/sty-public-section-employment.html

...many of these are paid out of the UK government purse. These will all go.

We'll also lose the efficiencies of living in a large countries. As before, how much will a stamp to Ullapool cost? what's that going to do to communities in the highlands and islands?

A yes vote will bring _years_ of recession, if not worse. I posted before on how the recession in Ireland has decimated rural communities, do you want the highlands and

islands to become wilderness?

Please think about this before you place your vote.

Nial.