Did the most stupid thing...

jasper3

What a complete idiot i was….

last saturday evening, sat down on the floor eating a pizza and glass of wine,

gave my little cocker the crust, the wife went mental….put it in his bowl…. so like a child, i gave him another bit, but this time, i lost balance and fell towards his face….

within a split second, bang bang bang,,,, 3 bites to the face….the dog instantly, curled up in submission….the wife just screamed..HOSPITAL NOW…i replied, what are you on about…stop over reacting, stupid woman,

my face started to feel wet and sticky…blood was pouring out… the wife got the neighbour, and off to hospital….got cleaned up..and had to return 1st thing in the morning for the plastic surgeon to stick my eye back up...

anyway..its repairing nicely..

The dog, is not being put down, as this was as much my fault as his, yes he crossed the line, but, as a dog owner, i have responsibilities,

from now on…anyone comes to the house, the dog gets put in his crate, when outside, walking, he will wear a muzzle, today, the lad is being sniped….

we move on to the smallholding soon, so he will have plenty of room to run around and enjoy life

some have said i should have him put down, others agree with my choice, i am not a person to make knee jerk reactions, nor is the good lady, and we both agree,

thank god it wasn't anyone else, or even a child…not that we have many kids in the house….but a big lesson learnt...

healing up nicely now…. the bottom eye lid has been re-stiched on...

Photoon23-09-2014at12162_zps966f1a80.jpg

he is a working cocker…and no..he hasn't got cocker rage…that normally comes from over or inbreeding...

just one horrible experience that i hope will never happen again….

Edited by jasper3

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that you did the rite thing the problem with dog bites is there fangs that is what does most of the damage when I was young I was playing with our JR it was on the chair and I was kneeling in front of it anyway it nipped my nose that and made two little puncture marks one ether side of my nose instead of wathing for it to let go I pulled my head back giving me to gashes in my nose my fault that was it.

Edited by four-wheel-drive

I hope you get better soon pal.

It's a tough decision but i think id stand by you with this one. If it was me in your position i'd be saying the very same thing, it was partly my fault for being slightly clumsy. Should the dog have reacted the way it did? probably not. I think you've made the right decision in preventing anything like this happening again by making sure the dog is securly locked away when any visitors are around etc.

In my experience if a dog bites a person in its own defence, or after much provocation as a warning, it will bite you just the once and may or may not puncture the skin and to me this is a tolerable reaction and to be expected. However if a dog attacks you as its first line of defence that is a different thing entirely and I understand that you wish to give the dog another chance but you now have to realise that you are now in possession of a ‘loaded gun’ and will never be able to drop your guard again. I wish both you and the dog a long and happy incident free association for the future.

Regards

I agree STOTTO…but i shoot, and i respect my loaded gun,.as i now have to respect my dog, and re-train myself , in his world he is a member of the pack..and not my little buddy, even though i still love the little ***

yes, the boy will still work…thats what i got him for, the biggest problem there was, , was me getting far too complacent with him...

his little life will change now…no interaction with kids…and no free roaming around the house…but he will have 20 acres to work and run around on...

so he will still have a great quality of life, i to will loose out, on not being able to do what i did before…but thats a price worth paying, for me and the little fella..

No,i wouldnt have had him put down either. What he did was a knee jerk reaction to being in pain when you fell on him and despite being domesticated and brought into our homes-they're still animals.

My previous dog (a Rottweiler) caught my index finger with his tooth when i was playing a tugging game with him resulting in a very small cut.The next day however my finger looked like a fat inflated sausage as it had become infected. The nurse at my local surgery took great delight in typing 'dog attack' in the notes and actually said he should be put down when she was curious to what breed he was.

In my experience if a dog bites a person in its own defence, or after much provocation as a warning, it will bite you just the once and may or may not puncture the skin and to me this is a tolerable reaction and to be expected. However if a dog attacks you as its first line of defence that is a different thing entirely and I understand that you wish to give the dog another chance but you now have to realise that you are now in possession of a ‘loaded gun’ and will never be able to drop your guard again. I wish both you and the dog a long and happy incident free association for the future.

Regards

I agree: he has a loaded gun. Each to their own, but this wasn't a nip, it was clearly a full force attack and has left a grown mans face in a right mess. My thoughts would be: what if that was a kid. Are you sure its not cocker rage? I know a guy whos hand was mauled by his cocker; he correctly IMO took it to the vets to be put to sleep just incase the next time it was a child on the receiving end.........

Jasper3 I admire your honesty and the way you have resolved to deal with him.

Good luck

Yes, I agree. I think a primitive defence mecanism was triggered by a large object (you) suddenly appearing (falling on him) in his peripheral vision. Probably would happen whether a she or a he snipped or not.

Robbie the rimmer

thats why i have taken the measures i have…. cocker rage , as far as i am led to believe, came from in and over breeding…i know the full history of my dog…i knew the family way before he was even conceived ...

as i also said..when out..he will be muzzled, when at home, if we have people visit..he will be caged….

if you injured an animal instead of killing it out right, whilst shooting, would you give up shooting, there could be a massive chance that you could do it again…same goes with everything in life, you could crash your car..do you give up driving..there could be a child in front of you next time

Edited by jasper3

Well said mate.

Ultimately only you can make the decision about what to do with the dog, we can only advise. Don't let people put you off what your heart thinks.

Again i think you have done the right thing

Robbie the rimmer

thats why i have taken the measures i have…. cocker rage , as far as i am led to believe, came from in and over breeding…i know the full history of my dog…i knew the family way before he was even conceived ...

as i also said..when out..he will be muzzled, when at home, if we have people visit..he will be caged….

if you injured an animal instead of killing it out right, whilst shooting, would you give up shooting, there could be a massive chance that you could do it again…same goes with everything in life, you could crash your car..do you give up driving..there could be a child in front of you next time

Can i just add, before making any decision, i also spoke with our vet, who totally backs the route we are taking,

the boy has had his gonads snipped today…this is part of the change, as a responsible dog owner..except the other night, i now, would never let him sire , anyway, vet says the lad is doing well

I agree the dog just reacted. My dog would cower as that's his way after once going to nip me when trying to remove a burr that made him yelp. He got a you learn who's the boss and now knows not to react that way.

I can be clumsy and have stood on my dogs paws in the past and dogs react and go to bite as a natural defence. When its my fault the dogs not to blame for reacting but still gets a scolding for going to bite.

As your dog has shown by cowering straight away it knows its wrong.

At least you know how your dog reacts when his food is in jeopardy.

You been lucky not to loose your eye, hope you get well soon.

Don't give the dog pizza when drinking, your wife will not let you forget she was right :lol:

Figgy

I think you have responded sensibly to a pretty horrible, but out the ordinary, experience. Cockers aren't an aggressive breed but like all dogs if you push the right buttons they will react.

I expect that will be his one and only chance so good luck with him in the future, hope it all goes well.

Robbie the rimmer

To be fair, I think keeping a dog that has previous is slightly different to driving/crashing a car and hitting a kid...

I don't doubt for a minute you've made the decision lightly and trust you`ll do as you propose to BUT all Im saying is that you`ll never forgive yourself if this happens in the future and the next person attacked isn't you. That's the bottom line my friend and I for one wouldn't be taking the risk. Good Luck

The fact the dog subminet straight away is a good sign that it was reactions not a deliberate attack. I've had bits from my dogs in the passed only once was it not in some way not my fault and i shot that one. The others have instantly know the have done wrong and never been a problem with other people but i never let any of my dogs have a free run with anyone else

i agree with you Robbie, i would never live with myself if he ever bit again, especially a child, but thats what i have to make sure of…

i will also be keeping, goats , sheep, cattle and pigs when we move on to the smallholding, they too, will be controlled in a way where they can not harm anyone..

i do understand what you are saying, and even respect your look on the subject,

all i am saying is, its going to be different to start with, but once we have our routine, it should be easy to achieve,

as i said above , if i couldn't do this, i would never have a dog again

jasp