Police starting unannounced visits today to legal firearms owners

Crack on I say, if I'm in im in, I've got nowt to hide.As Long as you ain't on the job with the wife who cares, my guns are all stored correctly and securely,

Davyo just read your post, great minds think alike ha ha(reason for edit)

What's 10 mins of your time??

Atb

Flynny

Edited by flynny

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is reminiscent of the police turning their suspicions on photographers several years ago. Any time someone was out with a camera (particularly an SLR) curtain twitchers were encouraged to call the police because - well, photography is 'subversive behaviour'. Never mind that covert photography can be done a lot better without an SLR.

Are we within our rights to leave them officers outside take the details numbers etc and then ring the firearms unit to check their correct?

Figgy

Figgy when FEO came for my sons interview for his FAC/SGC,he was rather shocked when I asked for id.Is a uniform not enough,no mate its not seeming that I am going to let you through my door and let you have access to my gun cabinet.

I was even told not to put shooting organisation stickers in vehicles, as I'd get my guns stolen and my tyres let down, poo smeared etc

So where are shooting organizations supposed to advertise? This is just a way not for us to advertise shooting to others to get them into the sport. I see this as a political job. If you belong to an organisation supporting firearms or hunting or target shooting don't advertise it since we'll think you're being lax on security and then revoke your ticket.....b*****s.

I would recommend once these checks start being done, people who have had the police come around unannounced relate their story on here on this thread so we can see the nature of the calls and they way that the police conducted themselves. What was asked, what did they want to see, time, hours, was there an intent to catch people out or genuinely asking to see if security was important. etc.

I would recommend once these checks start being done, people who have had the police come around unannounced relate their story on here on this thread so we can see the nature of the calls and they way that the police conducted themselves. What was asked, what did they want to see, time, hours, was there an intent to catch people out or genuinely asking to see if security was important. etc.

Good idea, it would be interesting to see how many on here actually get a visit and what area is most checked.

It would appear that the ‘Home Office’, as I have come to believe they always have, view the shooting community as at least as great a threat as the terrorists they are attempting to thwart and not as an unexploited asset in the war against it! :/

you are right, that is why firearms licencing was introduced

Let's not forget the 1920 Firearm Act was introduced due to fear from a communist revolution, not due to public safety. Therefore the Police and Government have never wanted the "wrong people" to get firearms what those wrong people are I don't quite know since criminals with a lengthy record are already forbidden to own them. I guess the wrong peopel might be based on who we want to demonise and if it's a certain political party in charge thier opponents might be "the wrong people".

I find this latest HO initiative outrageous, and assuming the shooting organisations weren't even consulted ( I'm assuming so anyhow, as this is the first I've heard of this initiative; two days before it comes into effect) says more than I ever could about how significant our representative organisations are viewed by HO ministers. It would appear the CA are on the ball however...may be worth joining, but BASC, as usual, not wanting to rock any boats, are stating we should comply by recommending 'a sensible and cooperative approach to this kind of situation.' But all members can rest assured BASC will challenge 'robustly' (post event of course) any wrong doing. Out of interest how does someone 'challenge' anything after the event? I will contact the NGO and report back their response.

The most annoying aspect of this is the assumption that legitimate firearms owners are being viewed with what can only be described as suspicion; for being firearms owners? Not only this the reasons the police can use are just so unbelievably open to interpretation by the one body which is enforcing the initiative, namely the police.

'Where it is judged necessary.....' the reasons why this would be applicable are limitless, open to interpretation and wide open for abuse.

'based on specific intelligence in light of a particular threat...' any neighbour, past girlfriend or someone with an axe or agenda to grind could soon construe a reason to phone the rozzers. Again, open to interpretation and abuse.

'risk of harm...' as above.

And the icing on the cake 'the Police ' (will be the judge) 'that this action is both justified and proportionate'. To what extent? If someone refuses to allow entry because they're in the middle of their tea, or it isn't convenient for whatever reason, what are the police going to say? "Ok, we'll come back in an hour". You're 'avving a laff guv, aintcha.

Wont their actions, given any of the reasons apply which the HO has specified, be exactly the same as their actions would be if calling on a non-firearms owner called on for the very same reason?

Is it only a matter of time now before all legitimately owned firearms are seized for 'the greater good' in the name of anti-terrorism? Is this 'initiative' the first step?

Edited by Scully

Guest topshot_2k

Got to say I'm pretty disappointed with BASC for not opposing this more. This is just another attack on responsible owners and says a lot for how the Government/Police view legal firearms owners.

What are they hoping to achieve other than wasting time and money? What happens to people who don't store their firearms at their home address?

No probs with unannounced visits , it's just a shame that the police don't have more power to give criminals more unannounced visits instead of letting them committ crime after crime just to have enough evidence so they don't get laughed out if court. But then again it's so much easier to keep law abiding citizens in order.

Guest topshot_2k

No probs with unannounced visits , it's just a shame that the police don't have more power to give criminals more unannounced visits instead of letting them committ crime after crime just to have enough evidence so they don't get laughed out if court. But then again it's so much easier to keep law abiding citizens in order.

I don't have a problem in sense that my security as its all up to standard. Its more the fact that they don't trust people they have granted licenses to ensure their security is in order.

Here we go:http://www.nationalgamekeepers.org.uk/news/ngo-responds-to-acpo-firearms-security-campaign

Disappointed to some extent, but at least they have criticised ACPO's encouragement of the general public to report any concerns they may have regarding legitimate firearms owners. Like I said, it is all wide open to interpretation and abuse. There can be little doubt that ACPO are deliberately targeting legitimate firearms owners whom they (ACPO) obviously regard as a threat. It would seem the very act of showing an interest in firearms, albeit legitimately, is regarded with suspicion.

How many knocks per week constitutes harassment? :)

Edited by Scully

I'm not keen the standard Jo bobby coming around, they ain't got a clue what they are looking at and it's just stupid. Do they know what's secure? Do they know the rules? No. If it's an inspection it should be done by a officer that knows his stuff and deals with firearms daily.

Plus not keen an 2 highly visible officers at my door, I keep having firearms very low profile, most of my neighbors don't even know, that would put an end to that, or it would start rumors that I'm some kind of criminal.

And 3rd the missus would kill me if she had not cleaned the house top to toe, kids do a good job of wrecking the place most days be embarrassing if it's untidy. Guns are always secure, but I'd much rather it be an feo is his own clothes. All low key, and who knows the difference between a auto and pump, 22rf and .303!

I don't have a problem in sense that my security as its all up to standard. Its more the fact that they don't trust people they have granted licenses to ensure their security is in order.

your right. But I must say If was to grant somone the paper work necessary to purchase guns I'd want to be able to feel free to check up on them if I felt the need. Their job must be pretty nerve racking at times.

some things concern me about this......

Police concern that members of the shooting community may be “vulnerable to criminal or terrorist groups”
How does one become vulnerable to a criminal or terrorist group? surely there must be some law against forming these "illegal and terrorist groups"
“The public and especially the shooting community can greatly assist the police in gathering intelligence and protecting our communities by being vigilant around firearms licensing. The shooting community is close, and will recognise sudden behavioural changes in fellow shooters that could cause concerns. However, they may not feel like they can act and the Crimestoppers hotline empowers people to voice concerns anonymously.”

How can the public and or the shooting community gather "credible" intelligence to protect the community?
How can an individual / community be vigilant around firearms licensing?
The new Home Office guidance states: “Where it is judged necessary, based on specific intelligence in light of a particular threat, or risk of harm, the police may undertake an unannounced home visit to check the security of a certificate holder’s firearms and shotguns.

?

Police firearms enquiry officers and neighbourhood officers have visited shooting clubs and registered firearms dealers in recent months to highlight concerns surrounding the potential for terrorists or mass killers to exist within the shooting community.

Highlighting concerns for the potential terrorists and mass killers? what?

How does one become vulnerable to a criminal or terrorist group?

sadly its too easy, just follow a gun club member home from the range, then hijack him at gun point and steal his pistols and rifles. like just happened here this week........