Knife sharpeners.

Thaikat

What kind of kine (cheap or good?)

The Bladetech work on cheap knives, but are wasteful.

The Lanksky works well if you want to cheat.

Ceramic stones are effective if you know how to use them. You can do a great job using a flat surface with wet and dry paper.

I'd recommend the Spiderco as a good starter system.

You need something to 'sharpen' and something to 'hone'.

The quick pull through sharpeners have a habit of taking chunks off a blade and putting a heel on the knife. Most times a knife will just need a hone.

If you can find an F DICKE knife sharpener on eBay go for it

Have a sniff round this webby

http://sharpeningmadeeasy.com/****.htm

Edited by Mungler

I'd also look at how many knives you have if you are considering a manual swipe type sharpener (lansky, spiderco, heinne etc) - a decent sharpen up will take you all day.

My preference is the Spiderco (I still have one in a drawer somewhere) because it will do serrated knives through to garden secateurs.

Do factor in the need to be practical and lazy - I'd give the Frederick **** draw through one a go. 3 swipes and you're there, no fuss and no aggro.

alot depends on what sort of blade your wanting to sharpen and the grind be it micro bevel or convex perhaps Scandi , does the blade have any recurve to it what steel is it , carbon/stainless

I use flat diamond plate they cut fast and give great edges once bedded in alittle , Iv heard the dc4 sharpens are ok for touch ups jobs etc , I also like to give um a bit of a strop afterwards with some compound

As above a diamond credit card sharpener does my knives a treat. Can sharpen stanley knife blades with them. Had a red one I can't find and now ordered a blue course one as they smooth out and I want blades sharp fast.

Also have the big diamond bock for home use that gets them shave sharp.

If your not looking to shave with your knife a medium to course diamond file or pull through should do you. Try one mungler has suggested.

Figgy

This thread reminded me that I needed a knife sharpener for the kitchen.

Not on the level as some of the recommendations here (really liked the Lanksky one but I'm not into knives outside of the kitchen) but I just ordered one of these:

http://www.globalknifesharpener.co.uk/anysharp-global-knife-sharpener.html

Remember seeing a stand selling them at the shooting show last year......

Edited by Cosd

Not on the level as some of the recommendations here (really liked the Lanksky one but I'm not into knives outside of the kitchen) but I just ordered one of these:

That's the one my mate sells (you watched him demonstrate it at the shooting show). It's really good for the money. I have one here but after reading this thread am really intrigued by the sharpening stone method - I think it would be worth learning. I think it may be a "gentler" method of sharpening a knife.

That's the one my mate sells (you watched him demonstrate it at the shooting show). It's really good for the money. I have one here but after reading this thread am really intrigued by the sharpening stone method - I think it would be worth learning. I think it may be a "gentler" method of sharpening a knife.

I don't have a great set of knives to be honest, lots of them but they are odds and ****. Next house next kitchen (soon) I will invest in a good set of knives and I will look at a decent sharpening system.

Be careful - they take a lot of metal off, so over time your knife will be eaten away fairly quickly. I have one and only use it on rough cheap knives. The likes of Lansky are goof for kitchen knives too.

Well I purchased the Lansky box from Amazon for £25.00 which does 20 and 25 degree edges and comes with two sets of rod - metal and ceramic. I have touched up all the blades in the house, scissors and even my axe blade - can not fault the kit...... yes it is kind of cheating but it works and that is all I care about.