So What Does a Woodburner Cost to Install?

sitsinhedges

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine cost £1800, £1050 for the stove and the rest for everything else including fitting. It's free standing so using a twin wall flue and fitted to a Bungalow gas never been on for heating in 18 months. Costs nothing to feed as I get all my wood from work, wouldn't be without mine now. As for how long it will take to pay for itself going by the other thread about heating bills not very long.

Mine cost £1800, £1050 for the stove and the rest for everything else including fitting. It's free standing so using a twin wall flue and fitted to a Bungalow gas never been on for heating in 18 months. Costs nothing to feed as I get all my wood from work, wouldn't be without mine now. As for how long it will take to pay for itself going by the other thread about heating bills not very long.

Unless it's connected to the heating systems wont it only heat the one room?

Around 2k all in, certainly recommend one with a back boiler for hot water and rads.

We have just this minute stopped putting wood on cus its too warm upstairs.

Just an idea for you, I used some reclaimed granite sets / cobbles for the hearth set in cement with a lime mortar. I think it looks ok ;-) and rustic .

Edited by Dougy

I've been looking at this too, not always that straight forward thou.

Will depend on ur existing system wether u can tie a back boiler into it, might not be worth the hassle (a few plumbers i've spoke to are dead against them)

Had a couple of Biomass installers round for the RHI payment but they were honest enough to say if ur on mains gas that is cheaper than any boimass anyway (unless ur getting free timber)

With the rhi payment u should have it paid of in 5-7 yrs depending on ur house.

If u have to buy ur timber/logs probably not any better off, if u have access to free/cheap timber probably worth it but it still takes a bit of time transporting, logging and splitting plus wear and tear on saws, trailers vans etc

Around 2k all in, certainly recommend one with a back boiler for hot water and rads.

^^^^^^ plus one on this, took out my gas fire and back boiler and put an inset multifuel fire with backboiler for rads and hotwater, cut my heating bill drastically the first year, and the heatings running 24/7, not coming on and off

Can't beat sitting by a real fire

I do buy coal for over nights when it's allot colder, wood I pick up when and where I can, pallets, decking, fallen trees, all sorts. If it keeps the numbers down in that little box on my bills I'm happy, if I break out in a sweat collecting wood then I'm keeping fit too lol

All I burn on mine is hardwood pallets that I get free from work, only require cutting up which takes about 2 minutes a pallet and all the wood in the picture took around half an hour to cut up and was brought home in 1 van load which I can get at least twice a week throughout the year.

IMG_20141029_095414.jpg

IMG_20141015_102018-1.jpg

Edited by Luckyshot

Spoke to my mrs today about this.

I was brought up with one all my life.

Then moved out and never been in a place that could have one.

And I really miss it!

I wouldn't care of the cost is have one just for the pleasure.

Fantastic times.

Cold winters day and sat in front of of one of them! Brilliant!

Or been out all day wet and cold to come home to one :)

Then you get the toasting fork out :) even better.

Good times.

Get one I highly recommend it

Edited by chady

I know people who have them installed and then spend a small fortune on buying wood. One fella was telling me that the Poplar I was burning wasn't suitable. I had to remind him that all wood burns. If you can get the wood for nothing then put one in.

Ours didn't cost that much.

I did as much diy as I could, so busting out the opening, installing lintel etc. I got wind of an Esse Montrose stove that a woman wanted shifting as she was moving out. Got it for £200. The liner I found local on ebay. The lad bought it to fit one into his house and changed his mind, so was brand new 10m Schiedel Technoflex got for £120.

The hearth I made a concrete bed then used some 2ft sq slate flags that I had left over from a patio I laid in our old house. 15mm concrete board to line the builders opening was around £30 iirc.

It cost me £500 off a mate to pull the liner down, supply and fit swept stove pipe, pot hanging cowl and HETAS sign off. I then bought an oak mantel 6"x6"x4' that was £115. Reclaimed old bricks at £12 and a mate to put them up at £20 plus beer and pizza.

So around £1000 all in. Best thing I've ever done tbh.

Pics of the project...

image.jpg

image-1.jpg

image-3.jpg

image-4.jpg

Edited by jgguinness

Ours didn't cost that much.

I did as much diy as I could, so busting out the opening, installing lintel etc. I got wind of an Esse Montrose stove that a woman wanted shifting as she was moving out. Got it for £200. The liner I found local on ebay. The lad bought it to fit one into his house and changed his mind, so was brand new 10m Schiedel Technoflex got for £120.

The hearth I made a concrete bed then used some 2ft sq slate flags that I had left over from a patio I laid in our old house. 15mm concrete board to line the builders opening was around £30 iirc.

It cost me £500 off a mate to pull the liner down, supply and fit swept stove pipe, pot hanging cowl and HETAS sign off. I then bought an oak mantel 6"x6"x4' that was £115. Reclaimed old bricks at £12 and a mate to put them up at £20 plus beer and pizza.

So around £1000 all in. Best thing I've ever done tbh.

Pics of the project...image.jpgimage-1.jpgimage-3.jpgimage-4.jpg

That sir looks the nuts !