pattern plate????

tweedledee

I don't bother! Makes me aim a little. I mount the gun eyes shut and empty. If my eye is central when I open them and I am happy with the height I then pop out and snap shoot a cow pat or two, confirm the sight picture is the same as with the eyes shut previous and go off that. Ten to fifteen yards usually.

Of course this says nothing about the pattern!

U.

For gun fit 16 yards for me.

Daf is right, set up you target step back gun empty close eyes mount gun .open eyes do not move the rear of the gun just move the front to sight it. do this a couple of times . ok now load gun . close eyes mount gun open eyes , do not move the rear of the gun just bring the sight to target pull trigger , open gun go to target and see the results .

so what you have done is with your eyes shut you have mounted the gun as you would normaly do . you have opened your eyes and fine tune it by just moving the front of the gun. the reason you are doing it at a close distace is you will have a tighter pattern. and it will show you were the gun shot at and how true the gun is . then after that if its not in the centerish it may need altering . and thats were Daf could help or better still if you were near him he could do all i have just told you and you could get to bash a few clays to :lol:

Daf is right, set up you target step back gun empty close eyes mount gun .open eyes do not move the rear of the gun just move the front to sight it. do this a couple of times . ok now load gun . close eyes mount gun open eyes , do not move the rear of the gun just bring the sight to target pull trigger , open gun go to target and see the results .

so what you have done is with your eyes shut you have mounted the gun as you would normaly do . you have opened your eyes and fine tune it by just moving the front of the gun. the reason you are doing it at a close distace is you will have a tighter pattern. and it will show you were the gun shot at and how true the gun is . then after that if its not in the centerish it may need altering . and thats were Daf could help or better still if you were near him he could do all i have just told you and you could get to bash a few clays to :lol:

oh you are near to me :lol: :lol: :lol:

Know very little about shooting at clays, don't like the taste or texture but that aside don't most trap guns shoot high a little for trap disiplins?

U.

Underdog

Posted Yesterday, 09:03 PM

I don't bother! Makes me aim a little. I mount the gun eyes shut and empty. If my eye is central when I open them and I am happy with the height I then pop out and snap shoot a cow pat or two, confirm the sight picture is the same as with the eyes shut previous and go off that. Ten to fifteen yards usually.

Do you prefer the taste of a cow pat over clays? :lol:

Edited by bakerboy

Underdog

Posted Yesterday, 09:03 PM

Do you prefer the taste of a cow pat over clays? :lol:

Absolutely lol, especially the ones that slip down lol.

U :-)

an old guy gets home from the pub, he is covered from head to foot in cow muck. his wife screams at him, what the hell you been upto, he said i came out the pub it started to rain and got very windy so i took a short cut through the cow filed the wind blew my cap of , i had to try 28 on before i found my own :lol:

More concerned as to where im hitting...shooting sporting but have real difficulties shooting trap disciplines....

There just might be a clue there. When shooting sporting crossers, do you have more success on one particular crossing direction compared to the opposite?

As previously said, 16 yards for gun fit. However, in view of the above, if you find you're either left or right just see what happens when you close the opposite eye to your shooting shoulder.

For patterning, 40 yards with six shots starting with a previously fired barrel.

an old guy gets home from the pub, he is covered from head to foot in cow muck. his wife screams at him, what the hell you been upto, he said i came out the pub it started to rain and got very windy so i took a short cut through the cow filed the wind blew my cap of , i had to try 28 on before i found my own :lol:

Lol

Is this best way to see how cartridges that have been home loaded perform?

Yes. It has been considered so for many, many years. Six shots for an effective field result - 10 for research studies. Just do not be tempted to ignore any of the six results when you take the average count to obtain your result. It can be a pain in the rear which is why many don't bother but once done you know where you're at. Put a marker to 'aim' at and then ignore it. Note where the pattern fails top, bottom, left and right and from that deduce its centre and then mark the 30" circle about that. This will give you the pattern density but not its quality.

Should you decide to do it, then;

If you post the result - the actual average pellet strike count plus that for the load and also the deduced pattern density - (or PM me), I'll give you the info (I don't type too quickly and there's quite a bit of work to type in all the figures for each and every degree of choke) on how to check for quality.

Also, as you have to count the holes anyway, quickly drawing a 20" circle and making a note of the strikes in that area as well as the total in the 30", can save a lot of hassle if you then want to assess any further loads.

Edit: PS - Oops,I got blinkered and assumed the use of paper. Should you use a steel plate and whitewash sing out first.

Edited by wymberley

Go to staples and buy a roll of parcel paper about 60cm tall and about 5 meters long

Put about three sticks into the ground and clothes peg the open paper to the sticks with about three crosses in the centre line length wise equal distance

Stand back about 10-20 metres and snap shoot at each cross

You will soon see where your shooting

Get to close and the wad may show as a massive hole

Yes. It has been considered so for many, many years. Six shots for an effective field result - 10 for research studies. Just do not be tempted to ignore any of the six results when you take the average count to obtain your result. It can be a pain in the rear which is why many don't bother but once done you know where you're at. Put a marker to 'aim' at and then ignore it. Note where the pattern fails top, bottom, left and right and from that deduce its centre and then mark the 30" circle about that. This will give you the pattern density but not its quality.

Should you decide to do it, then;

If you post the result - the actual average pellet strike count plus that for the load and also the deduced pattern density - (or PM me), I'll give you the info (I don't type too quickly and there's quite a bit of work to type in all the figures for each and every degree of choke) on how to check for quality.

Also, as you have to count the holes anyway, quickly drawing a 20" circle and making a note of the strikes in that area as well as the total in the 30", can save a lot of hassle if you then want to assess any further loads.

Edit: PS - Oops,I got blinkered and assumed the use of paper. Should you use a steel plate and whitewash sing out first.

Sounds technical, I'll PM you.

Thanks guys.its not so much the sporting targets ...its the trap disciplines frustrates me.i used to shoot dtl quite well.now im woeful so much so i dont even know where im at in relation to the target...seems as if im shooting into thin air...really knocking my confidence..reckon i need to start from basics

Thanks guys.its not so much the sporting targets ...its the trap disciplines frustrates me.i used to shoot dtl quite well.now im woeful so much so i dont even know where im at in relation to the target...seems as if im shooting into thin air...really knocking my confidence..reckon i need to start from basics

If you are ever near Tannyoky call in and use theirs - both Gavin and Gary have offered to keep me right on the pattern plate by coming up on the range with me.

In the end I didn't take them up on it as the detailed explanation they gave me kept me right. I learned a lot - it was well worth my time!