aris

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

aris,,,,your reading to much mate and getting more and more paranoid each day,

what on earth has a guy in a café holding people hostage who has put up a foreign sign got to do with gun ownership in the uk ??? forgive me but I really cant see it affecting gun ownership in our country at all,,

you need to get out more mate and realise that not everyone in this world is a nutjob,,,most are but not all :lol::lol: :lol:

Evo

Around 40 years ago my shooting mentor, some 40 years older than me said one day......Enjoy what shooting you can because it will never be any better than this.

Of course as a no nothing early 20 year old it was just a comment that was politely accepted but quickly forgotten.

At that time I owned....

9mm, .22, .38, .45, .25 pistols.

Kalashnikov converted to semi auto.

5 shot shotgun on a SG ticket.

.22, .308 and .303 rifles on an open ticket.

.410 shot pistol.

Shotguns in .410, 16g, 12g, 8g.

Now as a 65 year old, I say to the 20 year olds......sadly.......enjoy what shooting you can because it will never be any better than this.

Perhaps I am reading too much into this - but the powers-that-be are also reading into this. It is their job to look into possible scenarios in the UK in the future. They look at all possible and probable scenarios - such as the 2008 Mumbai attacks.

Couldn't happen in the UK? I'm sure the Aussies thought what is happening now couldn't happen there either.

Of course, we don't have all the details yet, but it sounds like this guy is a 'home-grown' terrorist. Where did he get his guns? Gun laws in Australia are fairly similar to ours.

Look at the recent statements by the police with regards to possible 'terrorist' links with the theft of lawful firearms in the UK.

Call me paranoid if you wish (really - I don't mind) - but it is a possibility worth considering and our shooting organisations need to be ahead of the curve to head off any further tightening of gun legislation.

Edited by aris

Considering how restrictive gun ownership is currently in Australia, comparing matters to here is a bit misleading.

Yes, gun laws in Australia are even more strict than here, to a large extent.

In Australia, you need to show 'good reason' for anything - air guns, shotgun, rifle, pistol, anything at all. If you can show good reason, and pass the personal and security checks, then you can have anything apart from self-loading or full-auto CF rifles. My sister and her husband (in Queensland) have 9mm pistols, shotguns, a couple of rifles, a shot pistol, all for pest control (dingo, snakes, etc) and personal safety on their farm. Animal attacks are not unknown in rural Australia.

Also, we've no idea at present if this person has a replica, real firearms, or whatever.

Aris, I said at the time that I would not be surprised if there was a more specific threat that the authorities were aware of and this prompted the latest 'campaign' around random visits, etc.

Even so I don't believe that this incident would materially change anything.

This one - no but it is another nail in the coffin. We won't get a Dunblane style knee jerk reaction, but it just adds more fuel to the fire when anything else happens. If this sort of home-grown terrorist becomes a trend internationally (and we have seen several incidents of it around the world), I think we could see further restrictions.

Just my opinion.

More restrictions would have little or no effect on this type of situation.

Terrorists have pistols and semi auto rifles. I don't think they apply for a licence and go to a gun shop. Arms are readily available for those who choose to get them.

Edited by Gordon R

More restrictions would have little or no effect on this type of situation.

Terrorists have pistols and semi auto rifles. I don't think they apply for a licence and go to a gun shop. Arms are readily available for those who choose to get them.

You are right - but since when did that logic stop any of the previous restrictions?

Around 40 years ago my shooting mentor, some 40 years older than me said one day......Enjoy what shooting you can because it will never be any better than this.

Of course as a no nothing early 20 year old it was just a comment that was politely accepted but quickly forgotten.

At that time I owned....

9mm, .22, .38, .45, .25 pistols.

Kalashnikov converted to semi auto.

5 shot shotgun on a SG ticket.

.22, .308 and .303 rifles on an open ticket.

.410 shot pistol.

Shotguns in .410, 16g, 12g, 8g.

Now as a 65 year old, I say to the 20 year olds......sadly.......enjoy what shooting you can because it will never be any better than this.

I say that this is a defeatist attitude, restrictive gun laws have been turned back in prevous dictatorships. Look at Russia for example. I am willing to enjoy what I have now and campaign for what I will get in the future, that is how I look at it.

There's definitely a few here who wouldn't look out of place in the backwoods US - it doesn't matter if it's a heightened terror alert or their bins changing to fortnightly collections everything is "they're coming for our guns"

Yes we have heavy restrictions but those things "banned" in this country I would say all fail the 'good reason' test anyway, does anyone have good reason for a semi auto centre fire? I can't think of anything a straight pull or bolt wouldn't cover? Same with handguns, those that can prove good reason can still have them, what else do you need one for?

Don't get me wrong I'm not condoning the knee jerk legislation post Hungerford and Dunblane but if I was the one in power I can't say I wouldn't make the same decisions. As long as good reason is the test I think we're going to be okay

There's definitely a few here who wouldn't look out of place in the backwoods US - it doesn't matter if it's a heightened terror alert or their bins changing to fortnightly collections everything is "they're coming for our guns"

Yes we have heavy restrictions but those things "banned" in this country I would say all fail the 'good reason' test anyway, does anyone have good reason for a semi auto centre fire? I can't think of anything a straight pull or bolt wouldn't cover? Same with handguns, those that can prove good reason can still have them, what else do you need one for?

Don't get me wrong I'm not condoning the knee jerk legislation post Hungerford and Dunblane but if I was the one in power I can't say I wouldn't make the same decisions. As long as good reason is the test I think we're going to be okay

You are the reason we will lose the remainder of our gun rights. Why does everything have to be about needing a reason? You are wrong on handguns I can't have any for target shooting, unless you are part of a tiny olympic elite and even then the guns have to be kept at a range, you're not trusted to take your guns home with you.