Fish ID ?

islandgun

Lumpsucker

All the best

Of

yeah having another look you may be right, easy to tell if you could see the sucker underneath, they are a decent size fish we get a lot in the screens at work the ones we get in tend to be darker .

KW

Edited by kdubya

there you go OF, it was very pink for a lumpsucker, it weighed 2.5lb and weirdly the slime came off with a slight pink colour on the work top, even dead, the sucker worked extremely well on a smooth surface, I dont fancy eating it as it was just about dead when i picked it up and a gull had had a go on one side, incidentaly the Britsh shore caught record stands at over 20lb twice the boat record, cheers for the answers and i would like to get one of those fish cake making wrasse :)

post-66520-0-40683800-1419444589_thumb.jpg

Hi island gun

Get them here always go pink when there dead just for interest lumpsucker eggs are often used as poor mans caviar

All the best

Of

Ah i see, Iv'e only seen alive before, we get tiny ones sticking to bouys and yes ive heard about the caviar have you tried it ?

looks like some type of wrasse they make nice fish cakes

Just googled red fish to see if i could find anything that fits the picture and came up with

attachicon.gifbig fish.jpg

well its certainly a beauty :lol:

What the fish or your wife

Edited by reggiegun

Definitely a lumpsucker used to get lots from the warm water outlet at West Thurrock power station as a kid.

we get dozens in our intake screens you can clagg the sucker on your forehead and it sticks like glue :lol: ours are always a dark grey /blue and all tend to be about 18" in length

KW

Edited by kdubya

we get dozens in our intake screens you can clagg the sucker on your forehead and it sticks like glue :lol: ours are always a dark grey /blue and all tend to be about 18" in length

KW

it really is an effective sucker made me wonder if the design couldnt be copied, (for those that need a sucker ! ) it reminds me of fishing from Westport in Ireland, the crew were from Holland and one fell asleep in the sun without his shirt, one of his mates caught an octopus and put it on his bare chest, he woke up a bit startled and had a devil of a job getting it off :)