young families

cueball

I used to go shooting and fishing often before the kids came along. Now it seams it is few and far between that I can get enough time to get out and dust clays, never mind the thought of game. Thing is when push comes to shove I would rather not take time away from my kids (aged 3&6) in the winter due to my long winter hours. How many others find themselves in this situation

It is a challenge at times.

We have a 4 year old and another due soon. My wife is great and supports all my hobbies... however, like you, most of the time I'd rather spend what "free" time I get making the most of family time.

When the 4 year old gets a little older I will definitely start taking her to the clay ground.

+1 there aren't enough hours in the day, that is why most of my winter shooting is at night. I have a 9 and 11 year old so they aren't as demanding as little ones but I still like to be around when they are which is why I tend to shoot at sunrise and sunset in summer, and at night in winter, that way I'm not missing out on the kids but still shoot regularly.

I've packed everything up since my son was born. Sold my guns and let my licence run out, kept my lab but gave away 3 of my cockers as I don't have the time with my son being ill. I was hoping for better news on Christmas eve about his health and how his treatment will go but will hopefully find out on the 11 th of January. As soon as we know what's happening with him I'll pretty much start where I left off, but get more into the training/ trialling side of things rather than just shooting.

Hopefully

Russ

Thanks cueball, hopefully the steroids he's on will kick in and help his body start to produce red blood cells. If not he'll have to carry on with blood transfusions every 4 weeks, which he's been having since he was 6 weeks old. You wouldn't know he was I'll if you met him, he's a normal 18 mth old boy, just a little pale. Hopefully it doesn't have any long te effects on his development but one things for sure, I can't wait to get him out in the open and hopefully he'll enjoy the things I do. If not I'll try and enjoy what he does.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks cueball, hopefully the steroids he's on will kick in and help his body start to produce red blood cells. If not he'll have to carry on with blood transfusions every 4 weeks, which he's been having since he was 6 weeks old. You wouldn't know he was I'll if you met him, he's a normal 18 mth old boy, just a little pale. Hopefully it doesn't have any long te effects on his development but one things for sure, I can't wait to get him out in the open and hopefully he'll enjoy the things I do. If not I'll try and enjoy what he does.

Hope everything works out for you and your lad, my daughter was a week old when she started fitting due to a brain haemorrhage, we spent along time with her in the hospital not knowing what was going on as the consultants/doc's had never seen anything like it before.... Forward on 5 years and you'd never know anything was wrong with her, I've already bought her a .410 and can't wait until she's old/big enough to come out with me.

The thing that sticks in my mind is how good all the doctors, nurses and consultants were in the children's ward, not only looking after charlotte but also supporting my wife and me as this was our first child and at the time it felt like everything was being turned upside down.....

Tedly

Kids and wives will desert you as soon as they get the opportunity. The only true friend you will have is your dog. I'd rather spend time with my dog than my family. Perhaps that's just me. I don't do people relationships that well.

Kids and wives will desert you as soon as they get the opportunity. The only true friend you will have is your dog. I'd rather spend time with my dog than my family. Perhaps that's just me. I don't do people relationships that well.

Bitter and twisted much ?

I'm the same, I have a 11 year old, a 3 year old and a 6 week old, I have a manic job, I help out on the family farm, I don't get a minute.

I love my family, I do wish I could get some 'me' time though. Even if I go out to shoot for crop protection, I'm bombarded with texts and phone calls.

My saving grace is I go for a pint after work before stepping into the battle field at home.

I'm the opposite, we only have one, she is lovely and has started to come to clays with me and has had a go herself and dusted a couple.

Due to various bits of plumbing not work with the Mrs, we had to go down the IVF route and were lucky second cycle but would have liked one or even two more but not complaining as we didn't even think we could have one at first..

Whats "me" time again?

Also work away alot, but that makes the greeting on walking through the door so much more special at the end of my working week- trouble is after many hours of continious play and demands from the two of them I'm seeking ways of escape.

Fortunately the wife is quite understanding in this :-)

Guess its a case of striking a balance....

I used to go shooting and fishing often before the kids came along. Now it seams it is few and far between that I can get enough time to get out and dust clays, never mind the thought of game. Thing is when push comes to shove I would rather not take time away from my kids (aged 3&6) in the winter due to my long winter hours. How many others find themselves in this situation

Yeah got two at 1 and 2 years old not been fishing in about 2 years and manage the odd clay session but not often. Even had to turn down a days beating on a great shoot this saturday. Its not just the kids its the fact you have to work what hours you can get to keep the wolves from the door.

I take a long term veiw though. In 5 or 6 years time when they are out of nursery and the hours calm down a bit Im going to have everything in place to really go for it shooting wise. Got my eye on a few Wildfowling clubs and there should be a space for me at a local syndicate by then too. For the time being its going to be the odd Wesnesday or Sunday at the clay ground and possilby the odd days beating but its not forever.

I'm the opposite, we only have one, she is lovely and has started to come to clays with me and has had a go herself and dusted a couple.

Due to various bits of plumbing not work with the Mrs, we had to go down the IVF route and were lucky second cycle but would have liked one or even two more but not complaining as we didn't even think we could have one at first..

Kudos, glad it worked for you, did you use a Nurture centre? If you did it's quite likely my mrs, dr kyska grew your baby!

Thanks Kyska,

No, just the assisted conception dept at the LGI in Leeds under a brilliant chap called Mr Adam Balen. As we were both over 30 and not a lesbian couple, we had to pay for both cycles but not complaining.

I sometimes call her the most expensive W**k i ever had :lol::lol:

Keg out of interest if you don't mind how much does it cost?, as if steroids don't work for my son it's an option we might have to consider if they can find my partners faulty gene and screen it. Then possible we can go down this route and then give him a bone marrow transplant. I know it's personal and if you don't want to tell me I don't mind.

Russ