Ying and Yang

pigeon controller

Thursday morning received a text " Pigeons in mobbs on rape, help" I replied I would be there later on, arrived at 10.00 and watched the fields. All the birds were at the far end of the farm and as I am not allowed to drive the land a long walk. So twenty minutes carrying Rucksac,battery,magnet ,hidepoles, brolly,and gun I arrived at my chosen spot and built the hide between two sitty trees and waited for the first bird to come to the tree. Two came together and became my magnet decoys, others followed and I had about fifteen decoys when the rain started with the strong wind and lasted twenty minutes. When it stopped I went out and shook all the rain off the decoys and waited. More birds came and I had about a further twenty down when it rained again for this time thirty minutes ,shook all the decoys and waited. I shot till 15.30 and ended the day with fortyeight and a crow, the long walk back to the Disco with the birds on sodden ground was enough to kill me.

Friday saw us heading out at 08.00 looking at the rape. we watched three farms with a few in the trees but decided to try and find better pickings. At the fourth farm the Farmer caught us looking and said " I had thousands here in the week they come in the afternoon " as it was 12.00 we reluctantly agreed to set and await the hoards of pigeons that were going to appear. We were all set up by 13.00 with twelve fresh birds from the day before. We shot till 16.00 and in that time we had fifty four birds come to the decoys and shot. It was strange as all the birds that came folded for the decoys and they were all decoy shots, DB was not impressed , He had promised the curry house forty birds for Friday night so we had managed that.

Saturday we hoped would be our payback day for agreeing to shoot on Friday, Ying and Yang, We set out with a spinkling of snow on the ground and hoped that the bright sunshine would soon burn off the the frost on the rape.We passed two fields of rape and they had birds sitting in the trees but none joining so we carried on looking. As we approached a farm that DB use to ferret rabbits and shoot the pigeons on the sprouts with his brother thirty years ago he said that there was a cracking fligtline down the stream which ran through the farm . When we arrived we could see pigeons travelling the stream as he had said . They were setting for a rape field that ran along the stream, a phone call later saw us setting up with the standard twelve decoys. You may ask why we allways use twelve , well we carry our decoys in nylon wine bottle carriers to keep them prestine. It was now 10.30 and the birds started to arrive in numbers , the wind was shifting about ninety degrees at times and it made it difficult for the birds to approach the decoys as we had them laid out. We had to stop shooting at times due to walkers on the field edges not the proper footpaths. We stopped shooting at 15.30 and by the state of the empty cartridges in the bag in the hide we knew that it had been a good day. We picked up one hundred and seventythree birds so it was a mega day on the rape. So forty for the curry house and twohundred and thirty plus for the game dealer. A really Ying and Yang weekend.

8c766e8a-153e-48d8-ae92-ed42ac13051c_zpsdab01491-64f7-4932-8ac8-3addbbdca1b1_zps

4bb3c53c-f7a6-440e-9592-7aee679df9e9_zps

Thanks for all your kind comments , I publish each week to confirm that if you cover the ground you will find birds to shoot . I've been at it for twenty five years DB longer. I started with one farm which I still shoot and it's about building up a memory of when the pigeons decide to be at certain farms . We have some rape which we have never shot birds on and others that we shoot each year on different fields. I will endeavour to post as and when I can to encourage others to take up this wonderful and fascinating sport.