A wasted 2 hours? I think not.

JDog

After yesterday's late start I went to the same fields much earlier today. I sat in the car glassing the three fields and in just short of two hours I saw one pigeon. I was not unduly perturbed as I had such a good day yesterday and I cared not a jot whether I shot or not. Only when a Lady walker, at least three fields from the footpath entered the furthest away field with three dogs and put up a flock of 500 or so did I put two and two together. The strange part about this is that I never saw one pigeon enter or leave that third field during the time I watched.

The flock went downwind over my car and on for a mile or so and that was my cue to rush out and set up on the return line. Minimum kit was again the order of the day, a net, two floaters and two dead birds. This time I set up 20m downwind of yesterday's position as I found yesterday that some pigeons dodged round a group of ash trees heading behind me and I couldn't get a shot at them. Today's position put an end to that manoeuvre.

Pigeons were already returning before I had finished setting up but I was soon into action. I had two floaters out but these birds were not decoying but heading for the second or third field in the block. For me I shot reasonably well, not up there with the hot shots on the forum but at least as good as some of the novices. When the flight abruptly stopped at 1:30 I picked up 47 pigeons.

An amusing incident to report afterwards. I headed to the village where SNS (Simon) lives hoping to catch him in the pub for a pint. I pulled over on a narrow road to let a very large and shiny and no doubt very expensive motor vehicle pass by and to my surprise it was Simon and his wife. I asked him if he was coming to the pub. His response through gritted teeth was 'no thanks I have to go to a toddler's birthday party'. Brownie points there then Simon.

There has been some criticism of the layout of pigeons in some of my recent posts. I have found this deeply hurtful as I was only doing my best. However to appease the purists, and hopefully without appearing sycophantic about it I have tried a bit harder in today's picture.

DSC05929.jpg

Edited by JDog

A good effort JDog , though to gain maximum points for presentation the one at the front with the raw back should have been placed in a back down row , it also seems to have strangely elongated neck which is also one point deducted , but 8 / 10 is a very good effort.

Great result for a short session , presentation greatly improved but the report does not tally with the picture so I will have to deduct one point otherwise good effort and must try harder .

I will try harder. The discrepancy is explained as I included the two dead birds used as floaters in the photo.

As opposed to my 2 hours at the party which were very much wasted indeed. Save for the brownie points, obviously.

Mrs SNS did point out that her shiny car is not quite as shiny as it was due to having to drive on a grass verge in order to get past a rather smug pigeon shooter on his way to my local !