Recoil Shoulder Pad

hollidca

Hi All,

Over the last 6 months or so I have been getting clay pigeon lessons locally and last week my girlfriend asked if she could come for a lesson too, which I'm pretty happy about of course.

However, when she was little her dad (farmer) perhaps introduced her to recoil a little too early, or she wasn't holding the gun tight enough into her shoulder; either way she has asked me to find a good recoil shoulder pad for her. Any advice on good ones? I ideally don't want to spend more than £30.

Thanks

If the issue is once bitten by recoil now twice shy there probably is mileage in getting what is requested... the Musto pad that goes in the shooting vest is effective and isn't bulky or you may be able to find a Past pad that's designed for a woman ...

Then make sure that the lesson giver fully understands the "as little recoil as possible" thing ... get it wrong and you could be a a single gun ....

Edited by seeker

Females are an odd shape and don’t tend to get the butt into the pocket of the shoulder (I’ve got 4 daughters and all have shot at some time) The problems aren't necessarily of recoil but of this incorrect butt placement. This is partially because they don’t have the arm strength to hold the gun up without leaning backward to counteract the weight and then get into a weight on the back foot rather that on the front foot. I found some thin 4 mm high density foam that I cut into a sort of shoe insert sort of shape that they can put into the shoulder under their clothing that seems to help a lot but using a lighter cartridge allied to good mount will help greatly.

No3 can knock em down ok.

e8e46966.jpg

DSCN2679.jpg

Any coach worth there salts will have low recoil cartridges and a selection of guns so the gun is not to heavy not long and not to low allowing her to mount and shot from the correct position without excessive recoil.

Coupled with the fact most Dads/husbandshave a gun that fitted them not a young daughter or wife then wack in a nice game load put them off often for life.

Seeker, that is exactly the point I was making! Know of any good pads that aren't inserts?

Goog 'Past recoil shield ', they do a range of fittings, from memory they also list under rifle accesories .. they may be others that do the same?

My daughter had same issue but instructor suggested moving from a 20 to a 12g and using a 24g load. Gunsmiths also improves fit of gun and also had some slightly slower speed shells (I've forgotten make) but the effect was no recoil at all and she then could dispence with recoil pads etc and shot game/clays quite competently. It may take bait of time but thisis easily overcome.

My daughter had same issue but instructor suggested moving from a 20 to a 12g and using a 24g load. Gunsmiths also improves fit of gun and also had some slightly slower speed shells (I've forgotten make) but the effect was no recoil at all and she then could dispence with recoil pads etc and shot game/clays quite competently. It may take bait of time but thisis easily overcome.

over the years I have known quite a few men who would have liked a wife, daughter or girlfriend to take up shooting. A big problem that I find is that the women haven't got the physical strength to hold the weight of a larger gun and end up leaning backwards to try to compensate for this weight. Gun mount goes right out of the window and consequently doesn't connect with any targets. The female shooter gets a lot of help and advice from other male on looking shooters, which although well meant meant has the effect of making the female feel self conscious amd that people are looking at her or that she is holding up other shooters. Generally this has the effect of the woman not wanting to shoot any further. This means that either the equipment is sold all put away in the gun cupboard not to be used again. Shooting is one of the few sports where women can compete on an even level against men if they have the motivation and the equipment to achieve this. In the two pictures of my daughter shooting she is using a leighweigh 686 20 bore which she can physically handle with sensible loads. OK she is never going to compete in the olympics but she can certainly knock down a good percentage of sporting clays. when i have taken the girls to start shooting I take them to a field on the farm with another person who operates the trap and we set up a driven bird so that it can be seen against a sky background. this means that the clay is slowing down and can be clearly seen against the sky. This target is fairly easy to hit because it can be seen coming in a straight line and allows time to pick it up and follow through. This promotes confidence and we go from there.

Ps. That is not a smokey burn on the cartridge in the first picture. It was a fairly humid day down near a lake and it must have been a result of the humidity like the decompresion wave over a planes wing that the camera has picked up

Edited by fortune

All im.going to say get 21g hull comp X dont feel nothing from them ive had a ten year old lad first time shooting a shotgun do 75 sporting lay out with 28g comp X without him saying about kick and I keep asking if he was ok and not in any pain thos is in a light single barrel 12 bore. Imo shooting 21grams in a lighter 20bore is going to kick more than 21grams in a 12bore

Edited by littlerob

• 3 weeks later...