Ban on 'fossil fuel' boilers

AVB

I was looking at a new build property yesterday and the developer mention that in 2016 it will be illegal to fit a fossil fuel boiler in any new build. This means oil and gas and was a complete surprise to me. This property had air source heating and he said that these and ground source will be the only options going forward.

I assume he is correct. How efficient are these types of heating?

I was looking at a new build property yesterday and the developer mention that in 2016 it will be illegal to fit a fossil fuel boiler in any new build. This means oil and gas and was a complete surprise to me. This property had air source heating and he said that these and ground source will be the only options going forward.

a complete load of dogs dangles.

as of 2016 you are not allowed to fit poor energy using equipment.

so boilers are looking to be over a certain percentage effiecant, same with the wall insulation the air tight ness and the usual " Part L compliance" does my nut in when people flog the miss information

so things like a cast iron log buner is going to be a nono.

but a defra approved cast iron burner will be, all existing burners are ok so is retro fitting a no defra one, so whilst yes its true its not quite the full versions,

basically its a eu ruling that we all go energy effieciant as soon as , and as much as posible

air source about 3 to 1 on electrical input - in fact about 2 to 1 better for ground scource - deep drill is fearfull expensive but claimed more efficient but coils at 600 mm give about 3/4 to1.

If you are having the house built a good way is to put super insulation under the floor with coils inserted - then during summer months use a shallow ground source circuit under a sunny area (tarmac is best) to heat the "store" under the house. You then use this as the heat source for the winter. not seen the figures for a completed install over a period but they quote up to 6 to 1 and state that is you use SPs for the summer drive it could be cost effective over several years.

However the cynic in me is yet to be convinced :hmm::hmm:

e the ground source

Edited by Yellow Bear

Because it's true, to many new builds taking up precious land, nhs stretched to breaking, schools are the same, electricity black outs, now gas in short supply. Were a small island with a hell of alot of people living on it.

And of course the issue just affects our little island....

Because it's true, to many new builds taking up precious land, nhs stretched to breaking, schools are the same, electricity black outs, now gas in short supply. Were a small island with a hell of alot of people living on it.

What a load of ********

Sorry to be blunt but the reason we are close to possible blackouts is 3 fold

1) Our reserves are smaller than ever for things like gas.

2) Our Nuclear estate is coming up for replacement and no govt of any party has had the nuts to make a decision so whilst Nuclear is coming slowly off line we are not building gas or coal fired to replace.

3) We are taking it from behind from the EU on renewables investing in wind and then subsiding it rather than tidal.

Immigration is causing problems but not energy.

So you think the millions of extra people over the last few years have had no impact on energy and public services being stretched. Its obvious!

You must live somewhere very sheltered.

I don't want to get this topic closed down, or go off course to far. You just live in your bubble and hope for the best.

Edited by andypaint

Not at all, i live in the big wide world along with the rest of use on here. I don't want it closed down either but your statement was so wide of the mark in relation to energy....

My reply was directly related to energy.

My last line was " Immigration is causing problems but not energy" I agree about the effect on public services, i don't live that far from Bradford.

No Govt in the last 30 years has had a decent energy policy, North Sea Oil is running out slowly, we now import gas and we don't want fracking!

The Green issue is costing us a fortune and no one can give a definitive answer on Global Warming!

583000 people immigrated to the UK in the year ending June 2014. 313000 emigrated from the UK in the same period. hardly an influx of millions and where are the electrical black outs other than in the Daily Fail ?

Electrical heating is being pushed as the best alternative to gas boilers, air sourced or ground sourced are lagging behind.

Getting back to what the OP and Yellow Bear were saying, we have been getting screwed on CO2 emissions for over 10 years now, ever since it became legislation that any new build or replacement boiler had to a high efficiency type (Band B or above). The EU have been looking for ways to hammer down the emissions but I'd love to know how other EU countries manage this? Some barely have the infrastructure to run the country let alone enforce such directives that they probably don't give a monkey's about. Ok, so I'm surmising on that last bit but can you honestly tell me that ALL EU members are abiding by it?

583000 people immigrated to the UK in the year ending June 2014. 313000 emigrated from the UK in the same period. hardly an influx of millions and where are the electrical black outs other than in the Daily Fail ?

Electrical heating is being pushed as the best alternative to gas boilers, air sourced or ground sourced are lagging behind.

583,000 that they know about

Getting back to what the OP and Yellow Bear were saying, we have been getting screwed on CO2 emissions for over 10 years now, ever since it became legislation that any new build or replacement boiler had to a high efficiency type (Band B or above). The EU have been looking for ways to hammer down the emissions but I'd love to know how other EU countries manage this? Some barely have the infrastructure to run the country let alone enforce such directives that they probably don't give a monkey's about. Ok, so I'm surmising on that last bit but can you honestly tell me that ALL EU members are abiding by it?

Good point.

http://www.spectator.co.uk/features/9078561/the-real-energy-scandal/

This makes interesting reading too.

The power usage in the UK must have gone up quite a lot in the past few years. Most office buildings have Air conditioning, most households have washers, quite a few have dish washers and tumble dryers.

Although the power usage in industrial premises must be lower, not as many steel works etc.

I don't think we should waste money on wind turbines etc, can't store the power and too expensive to produce.

Start fracking and build new nuclear power plants, not many other options if we want to keep the lights on.

The power usage in the UK must have gone up quite a lot in the past few years. Most office buildings have Air conditioning, most households have washers, quite a few have dish washers and tumble dryers.

Although the power usage in industrial premises must be lower, not as many steel works etc.

I don't think we should waste money on wind turbines etc, can't store the power and too expensive to produce.

Start fracking and build new nuclear power plants, not many other options if we want to keep the lights on.

I agree, but the issue most folk have with nuclear is how the waste is managed. Still, at least the EU have put a cap on the wattage of vacuum cleaners so that should help, especially when the little lady cleans behind the fridge ;)

Edited by Doc Holliday

This property had air source heating and he said that these and ground source will be the only options going forward.

A building surveyor friend of mine told me that, although you get 3 times the heat out that you put in, they are worn out before they have paid for themselves.