Camo is it really needed

ChrisAsh

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not at all, I have worn a white or cream T-shirt many a time when sat in a hide.

You know Motty, I smile at your posts......its seems the pigeons up there are pretty much special needs! I think someone mentioned that a couple of dead squirrels on a magnet would have the pigeons decoying up there where you are. :lol::lol: I think they're right :yes: Get down south and try a white shirt.............absolutely no chance!!!

Really does enforce my view that pigeon behaviour is Vastly different around the country :yes:

You know Motty, I smile at your posts......its seems the pigeons up there are pretty much special needs! I think someone mentioned that a couple of dead squirrels on a magnet would have the pigeons decoying up there where you are. :lol::lol: I think they're right :yes: Get down south and try a white shirt.............absolutely no chance!!!

Really does enforce my view that pigeon behaviour is Vastly different around the country :yes:

I really can't see where any particular colour is needed whilst sat in a hide. It may be true that pigeons behave differently in other parts, but camo is simply not needed for shooting from a hide. A white shirt would be fine to shoot in further south.

How about this then, couple of hours ago squirrel shooting.

I was stood out in the open on a ride, two roebucks looking straight at me, 15 yards away tops...

I wasn't wearing camo just green trousers/smock/gloves, no facemask or ghillie suit etc

IMAG1733 (Small).jpg

All I wear is green but that's cammo is it not. Haven't come on here for an argument ;)

I'll stick to my way like the previous 25 years :)

And I never mentioned face masks or gillie suits as I don't own either

Edited by team tractor

I've shot some of my biggest bags in distinctly non camo clothing! I've joined my Dad in the hide straight from work, just work trousers, coloured/logo'd polo shirt and no hat....shot 100 odd pigeons with no problems at all. I'll always wear dark/plain clothes but don't ever go for the whole real tree/full camo look.

In my opinion it's the movement they see, and any net hide stuck out from the hedge will make the pigeons more wary as well as standing up.

As well as that some days the pigeons just behave differently than others, no matter what part of the country you're in....I don't believe anyone that never has 'bad' days where they won't decoy well, however experienced you are!

How do you define 'camo' ?

I remember in the army, camo was defined as shape, sound, silhouette, surface, spacing and movement. The best camo is the natural vegetation that is around you. I once stalked three roes and got right up to them wearing a bright red berghaus jacket. I'm sure colour is not important but certainly movement is.

How about this then, couple of hours ago squirrel shooting.

I was stood out in the open on a ride, two roebucks looking straight at me, 15 yards away tops...

I wasn't wearing camo just green trousers/smock/gloves, no facemask or ghillie suit etc

&&0![cdata[>Was out stalking, after muntjac, got one and was just about to walk over to it. At that point a roe run over to about the area where is was shot.

Already had shot a roe in the morning so no more shooting. Got up and started walking over not bothered about the roe, it stood there looking at us and didn't run until we were about 30 yards away.

Some people have said they have poor eyesight, I don't believe that on occassions.

Not at all, I have worn a white or cream T-shirt many a time when sat in a hide.

When out decoying ducks on the marsh, I have had birds turn away because something isn't right sat behind a hide. Whether it was the pattern or they could make out my outline I am not sure but I wouldn't go out in a cream shirt on the marsh and expect to shoot something but that is my experience.

turbo33 smiles at motty's posts. Don't we all when we read his free thinking, original, sometimes controversial but always interesting comments?

As for cammo, I have said before that the only item of cammo I possess is a pair of underpants for those special occasions.

All I wear is green but that's cammo is it not. Haven't come on here for an argument ;)

I'll stick to my way like the previous 25 years :)

And I never mentioned face masks or gillie suits as I don't own either

I wasn't arguing, my point was cammo (as in dpm/realtree etc) isn't required for successful stalking.

All you need IMO are drab colours and to use your surroundings to your advantage, and stay downwind of course.

My understanding is that deer have a certain limited spectrum of light that they can see

post-69550-0-30891000-1424873230_thumb.jpg

Birds on the other hand (pigeons especially) have an extended spectrum, in that they can see more colours (ultraviolet etc) than we can.

http://webecoist.momtastic.com/2009/01/14/animal-vision-color-detection-and-color-blindness/

Shape shine shadow silhouette sound movement. Camo in my opinion is optional but not necessary. Adhere to the 5 Ss and 1 M and you will not go far wrong :good:

As highlandladdie said above the 5's....... all birds are fairly intelligent and can distinguish between a scare crow and human, they even get used to the flags, bangers etc so if you stood still long enough in a white tee shirt and dayglow shorts in front of a load of decoys or food source am sure some would eventually land

Edited by jeffjjack

I think it's compulsory to wear a day-glow jacket when stalking in America or Canada.

Thats a safety measure brought in as so many people were shooting the first movement they saw and in most cases it was other hunters hense the orange as not a natural animal known to be orange

turbo33 smiles at motty's posts. Don't we all when we read his free thinking, original, sometimes controversial but always interesting comments?

As for cammo, I have said before that the only item of cammo I possess is a pair of underpants for those special occasions.

I prefer plain brown but that could also be classed as camo :unhappy:

I, along with the majority, don't think it is essential to wear camo but drab olives and browns along with keeping still etc are my preferred attire. There is a place in Essex (I think) called Pete's airgun farm where they have a variety of indoor and outdoor airgun ranges. I was looking at their website (only out of curiosity) where I noticed camouflage clothing is recommended. Maybe drop down steel targets have a better colour spectrum than wild animals. Obviously camo does give you an edge when shooting static targets.