Camo is it really needed

ChrisAsh

As the tin states, much talk made about Camo and millions spent by pigeon shooters and wildfowlers.

I am not suggesting people could wear red or Orange hi-vis or people stand in the middle of a field and wave their hands, but more like does a normal gun scare off the bird and something like if you stand still and not in bright colours do the birds really see you as a threat

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Went to a shooting show saw a man dressed in camo gear , boots , trousers , coat , hat , bag .

Funny thing was he stood out a mile .Not worn on grouse moors or on pheasant shoots .Personally and here I go again cynic that I am I think it is a trend that grew out of army surplus that has become a fashion that has become a marketing poly .

Movement gives the game away, I wear camo when stalking, when in the hide I wear whatever is comfy/warmest etc,

Has cammo got a place in shooting? Yes in certain situations. Is it required? No, drab colours will do you fine in the hide or on the moor etc,

Atb

Flynny

I have watched a video on utube recently where a chap was wearing a yellow mankeenie while shooting pigeons in the summer months.

Cammo will only really work if the cammo you are using blends in with your surroundings. No movement is the real awnser. Dull green and brown colours will help.

To be really honest, it's mostly a feel good factor,. To each their own, ive personally found no real difference in wearing it or not. Personal choice.

It depends on what type of shooting you are doing and the type of prey you are going for. If you sitting in a hide behind netting or standing in a field waiting for driven birds then camo isn't top if the list, but if you are stalking a wary animal with excellent eye sight or getting in close with an air rifle then camo could make the difference by getting you in a few vital yards closer.

The best camo for normal shotgun shooting is to sit still.

A pet annoyance of mine are those people who insist on wearing camo to Game Fairs. I assume they are trying to prove to somebody ( possibly themselves) that they are the "real deal."

I do own a camo pigeon shooting coat but only as it was cheaper than the non camo version! My financial frugality always comes first in these things! I wouldn't wear it to a game fair though.

Edited by Big Al

The only reason I use the stuff is that the army surplus jackets and trousers are cheap and practical.... use em abuse them and then buy more... You wouldn't find me buying £100+ worth of real tree to be pulled to bits in the field.

From my limited experience its the movement that is seen, dark clothes on a dark background isn't noticed as has been said many times before.

Edited by jeffjjack

Not needed on pigeon shooting but it helps.

Stalking tho 100% important and I won't take anyone out unless they wear it.

How do you define 'camo' ?

I agree.... define camo, stalking has been carried out (as far as I am aware) in traditional tweeds for decades... is tweed camo? or does it have to be DPM or MTP?

As seen on this thread, I reckon a fair amount wear camo because they can get it cheap from army surplus stores...

I got a pair of decent double layered trousers for £8 and they were in excellent nick.

camo is only camo if you have camouflaged/blended yourself in with your surroundings....

But then isn't dark clothing camo as such, you don't go in bright colours to go shooting as it looks out of place. Some situations when pigeons are coming down to feed nothing seems to put them off.

Why use hides then when all you need to do is stand still? I can tell you you won't be shooting much as your white reflective face stands out a mile.

I agree.... define camo, stalking has been carried out (as far as I am aware) in traditional tweeds for decades... is tweed camo? or does it have to be DPM or MTP?

Reason I ask is don't own any cammo, soldier 95 type or the realtree type, and I have been as close as 4 or 5 yards to deer, so saying it is essential is absolute bobbins.

Evo hit the nail on the head.

You also need to understand how your quarry sees you, if it only sees in monochrome the colour doesn't matter one jot.

I use it but not sure it makes a massive difference really, but if I can pick bits up cheap enough it's better to wear it than not imo even if it is just for a confidence boost.

On the other hand, last summer I bought myself a rivers West jacket because it was cheap and I wanted a thin, waterproof jacket. It's "widow maker" camo - much like realtree. I noticed when laying in wait for rabbits that crows come much closer than they did with my dpm jacket. I have to admit I'm really impressed with it.

Just my 2p