numberplates stolen

shootnfish

At work today and got a phone call from the Mrs to say she had popped out and parked in car park and when she got back some scrote had nicked both number plates. She has informed the police but should she let the dvla know.

Shame they didn't take the car would of done us a favour then. Probably have the police smashing my door in now in a week or so because a car with the same plates has been used in an armed robbery!

Edited by shootnfish

At work today and got a phone call from the Mrs to say she had popped out and parked in car park and when she got back some scrote had nicked both number plates. She has informed the police but should she let the dvla know.

Shame they didn't take the car would of done us a favour then. Probably have the police smashing my back door in now in a week or so because a car with the same plates has been used in an armed robbery!

Could of worded that a little better

you dont have to report i to the DVLA, but it would be wise to.

police is a definate though.

should you recieve any fines or problems, a police crime reference number is all that should be needed to explain the situation.

i had mine stolen a few years ago, a few niggly issues came from it but they were easily sorted with a crime reference number.

:good:

They have cctv there and she was right near it but when she found the office the person who was in there didn't have access to it for some reason ,so she's going back in the morning to see it. The bloke who she spoke too said most likely travellers as apparently the had been a bit busy around there lately, but who knows all I know is its £20 I wont be spending on cartridges or something new plates instead.

Guest cookoff013

Inform the DVLA and keep the letter they send you in the glove box.

This happened to a mate of mine and he got pulled at every police checkpoint for the next six months.(ANPR)

Yup +1

Had someone copy my plates not steal them I was a bit concerned when I had a private claim against me for knocking down a statue, luckily cctv caught it all from across the road and showed a transit van when my car was a Morgan and 4 hours drive away at a garage being serviced at the time.

get it logged and reported to dvla as in the past they seemed to be computer says operation.

Farmer our way kept getting speeding/congestion charges in London. plate had not been stolen just copied. Trouble was it belonged to a very large self propelled sprayer and it's 100 miles to the capital from his farm. It took that much time sorting and proving every time which happened on a regular basis he sold the unit and brought another.

I had my van stolen, tools taken and plates swapped for those on another transit. Van they put them on was used in an armed robbery. The police were fantastic. If fantastic means did very little,left me to confront the thieves and when my van was recovered and many people had touched it "can we take finger prints "

I have a bit of experience on this subject

The plates I delt with were stolen off a decent car and were used in cash van robberies around Liverpool..

It's quite a common thing in certain areas of the uk for Volvo/Audi owners as those cars will take a good ramming and keep going so gangs tend to steal those types of cars then look around supermarket car parks to find a matching car and steal the plates... I'm quite sure you will get a call in a few days saing they were found on a burnt out car matching yours...

Edited by Archie-fox

Shootnfish, if your not in a rush and you let me have your reg number via pm i'll whizz you up a pair of plates in work And post them out to you.

Can I have a pair of his plates too?

:lol:

Seriously though, the fine for having wrong plates is minimal isn't it?

we had a phone call at the dealership last year (Audi) from uk customs saying that they had our A3 cabriolet with them, and that they had just recovered it from a container about to be shipped to latvia.

funny thing was, one of our technicians had the car in milton keynes on a training course.

it wasnt untill the police were actually sat with the technician that it was worked out that the car had been cloned. right down to the chassis number.

its big business....

Can I have a pair of his plates too?

:lol:

Seriously though, the fine for having wrong plates is minimal isn't it?

depends on who stops you.

at best its a fine,

at worst its farud, a defective vehicle and no insurance. you could potentially lose your licence...

Brett1985 thanks for the offer ,much appreciated but my Mrs got some sorted yesterday picking them up this morning but thanks.

no problem matey. glad you gt it sorted!

Edited by brett1985