DC

ack-ack

I think the TV debates are pretty worthless. It's all just sound bite stuff with no substance and no real debate at all.

Pick on 6 major issues to the electorate and then condense that into a few statements from each leader, it's dumbed down nonsense. If there was 3 debates of 60 mins and a single topic for each one, say economy, NHS and immigration then we might get into some substance, but as it is I would rather they didn't bother.

I can understand why he doesn't fancy it as he is the only one being judged on his record, all the rest can only be judged on rhetoric. As Mungler says, it's his to lose and it will be all the rest versus him.

I'm surprised he won't to be honest, miliband is ripe for a pasting. I think the debates have some merit , but only if done correctly- ie; decent time length allowing good focus and not a brief session with lots of people.

That snivelling little tick miliband needs putting in his place with this, because at the moment DC's resistance is being seized upon.

I'm surprised he won't to be honest, miliband is ripe for a pasting. I think the debates have some merit , but only if done correctly- ie; decent time length allowing good focus and not a brief session with lots of people.

That snivelling little tick miliband needs putting in his place with this, because at the moment DC's resistance is being seized upon.

Totally agree. Milliband and Balls. what a pair of ******

Id rather see them all slug it out in a car park,much more entertaining.

It would end with a Cameron Farage finale - my money would be on farage , miliband would have been knocked out very early on with a nosebleed and wet trousers. Natalie bennett would have run off to get a teacher, Nick Clegg would have been excused by a letter from his mum because of his time of the month.

Edited by pegasus bridge

Why we have to follow the American way, we do not need these televised debates which will just be a load of silling name calling!

PMQs are bad enough on a Wednesday, I would like to see them all GROW UP!

+1 If I behaved like politicians do at work, I would be fired........their behaviour is totally unprofessional, unnecessary and not what we pay them for.

As for PMQ time......it's like a childrens playground and an insult to the electorate.

+1 If I behaved like politicians do at work, I would be fired........their behaviour is totally unprofessional, unnecessary and not what we pay them for.

As for PMQ time......it's like a childrens playground and an insult to the electorate.

PMQ's are the most popular of any of the parliamentary broadcasts, probably more than all the rest combined. People obviously enjoy it.

I agree that at times it is ridiculous, but some of the put downs are brilliant and it is entertaining. I think it has misled people into thinking all of parliament operates that way which is a shame, but I would hate to see PMQ's changed too much as that would be just another concession to the PC brigade.

The thing I hate the most about the whole TV debates 'thing is the intellectually patronising nature of it all. The media and the spin machines in the parties are way too concerned with doing 'the latest thing' and being able to grab headlines with soundbites as opposed to genuine analysis of policies.

Or maybe as a diversion away from them, eh? ;)

It would end with a Cameron Farage finale - my money would be on farage , miliband would have been knocked out very early on with a nosebleed and wet trousers. Natalie bennett would have run off to get a teacher, Nick Clegg would have been excused by a letter from his mum because of his time of the month.

haha yeah camerons got the height,reach,fitness advantage but nige would probably end up doing him with a pint pot smashed in the chops!

GRRC

Do they telivise your lot up there?

If so, is it the childish bunfight that we have?

Yes they do, it is much less fun. Same format of one question and one answer for FMQ's. When the Scottish parliament started out they made a conscious choice to try and be better behaved and break away from the Westminster boisterous rabble.

It makes it all a rather dull and boring affair to be honest. PMQ's do need to change a bit as it has become more spectacle than substance, but it is a hallmark of British politics to have that raucous session. I think that it adds vitality to what could otherwise be terribly dull. Maybe less focus on the PM v's the opposition leader as that tends to be where most of the barracking happens.

The thing I hate the most about the whole TV debates 'thing is the intellectually patronising nature of it all. The media and the spin machines in the parties are way too concerned with doing 'the latest thing' and being able to grab headlines with soundbites as opposed to genuine analysis of policies.

Or maybe as a diversion away from them, eh? ;)

Spot on I think :)

probably does not want to admit the fact that his record bears no bearing to his promises, remember his lie of no if no buts re immigration for example? sooner the plum gobbed idiot is scattered the better

KW

probably does not want to admit the fact that his record bears no bearing to his promises, remember his lie of no if no buts re immigration for example? sooner the plum gobbed idiot is scattered the better

KW

The only trouble is who we get instead. I think that DC is weak and we could benefit from having somebody stronger in that position, but it is either him or Miliband. As things stand I doubt either will win a majority so it will have to be either a minority government and we will likely be having this conversation again in October, or it will be a very loose coalition headed up by DC or EM. In both cases neither will be able to implement any real changes as they wont be agreed to, so we will have an ineffective government that do nothing for another 5 years.

If EM led then we will likely see weakening of the economy and nothing done on immigration, if DC led then we at least have the opportunity of an EU referendum, but that depends on how much support he gets.

The Lib Dems and the SNP will stand against that as will a large amount of Labour, so we have to rely on the Conservatives plus an optimistic possibility of 4 or 5 kippers.

Ironically the rise of the EU sceptic and the kippers through championing that particular issue is most likely to result in no referendum at all and further concession to the EU and nationalist Scot's.

Ironically the rise of the EU sceptic and the kippers through championing that particular issue is most likely to result in no referendum at all and further concession to the EU and nationalist Scot's.

Do you honestly think we would get one if the influence of UKIP was not there? that will be a no then so nothing is lost in that respect,and as it seems likely that wee jimmy crankie will be on the bridge of the next sailing of the titanic perhaps we should now be looking for not only leaving Europe but casting Scotland adrift in order that a minority of self serving hard done by's dont steer us into the waiting iceberg.

KW

KW

KW

I don't think there is one single serving member of the British Parliament that has a good record on their promises.

After all they are all politicians!

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE