travel advice.

tx4cabbie

Lovely wife and I are off to emerald isle next Friday, by car via Birkenhead -Belfast ferry, from East London /essex, so I wondered if i could pick the brains of the motorway experts among us:

East London (romford) to Birkenhead docks, leaving around 1.30pm, what would people say is the best and fastest route? Ferry leaves at 10.30, but we need to be there by8.30 apparently, is this doable?

Should we take m1 /m6 toll, m40, what are the motorways like on a Friday evening, assuming no numpty overturns his Beemer?

Any advice appreciated, not driven north of Watford for ages.

Don't forget to take out travel insurance with Insure and go or similar before you go. Your UK NHS card only gets you very minimal cover in Ireland and no cover at all if you are hospitalised. For the sake of about £6 you could avoid a very big bill.

People think its part of the UK, its not!

My advice, book a travelodge or premier inn near the ferry. Go up the night before, then relax, cool off and save yourself a mountain of stress and a get good night sleep. Take some food with you, and a bottle of wine for the evening. Get in the holiday mood. (nudge nudge wink wink)

Try to avoid buying food on the boat its awful.

You are never going to predict that journey time so don't try

Edited by Vince Green

Hate to disagree but the bottom end of the M1 is dire on a Friday any time after lunch. I do this route regularly either up the M6 and across to Leeds or up the M40/M6 then across to Leeds.

I would suggest M40 M42 M6 Toll M6 then either M62 or M56/M53.

Pinch points are the M 42 between the M40 & Toll and J 13 to 18 on the M6. There are 50 limit roadworks just north of Brum.

Hate to disagree but the bottom end of the M1 is dire on a Friday any time after lunch. I do this route regularly either up the M6 and across to Leeds or up the M40/M6 then across to Leeds.

I would suggest M40 M42 M6 Toll M6 then either M62 or M56/M53.

Pinch points are the M 42 between the M40 & Toll and J 13 to 18 on the M6. There are 50 limit roadworks just north of Brum.

+1

M25 won't be pretty either but you should be ok for time if all goes well. Have a good trip.

Agree with M40 option - generally not as snarled up on a Friday than the M1 Luton/Bedford/MK stretch.

You have the option I guess of M11/A14/M6 but wouldn't recommend it as it's all dual carriageway until the M6.

Based on a 4 hour trip (if all goes well), you'd have plenty of time.

The M42/M6 can be a bit of an **** and it's worth taking the toll road to avoid Brum as much as you can.

Or hire a helicopter.....

Thanks for the advice, especially about the insurance, m.i.l suggested we just take e111 forms, but a bit more cover in case of emergency sounds good.

Wife is primary school teacher, so leaving earlier is a no go, as it is she's being done a favour getting to leave at 1.30.

Was wondering if what I'd gain by swerving the m1 shuffle, I'd lose by fighting round to the m40 - how are both these roads (m1/m6-m40) for speed cameras?

Can't wait to see Ireland, always wanted to go, and her family are of irish background so keep seeing pics from their hols which just whet my appetite even more.

M1 North from M25 isn't _that_ bad. Generally it builds up about 15:00 onwards on Fridays and flows relatively well if there are no accidents - same as any stretch of motorway.

It is variable speed limit with gantry lane cameras and the ones mounted to the side do the vertical part of the gantry. Waze has them well marked. Same as most of the M25. They run from the M25 north to J15/MK.

More to loose by going round to M40 on M25, that's at least 20minutes on a good day. Check Waze and Google Maps for traffic about lunchtime and see what says - they're pretty accurate.

M40 from East London on a Friday afternoon makes no sense. Could take you 4 hours to get to Ealing.

I do it very regularly, starting in NW1, and I always choose the M1 over the M40. Then I agree with JimLondon, who said "M1,M6,M42,M6 Toll,M6,M62 then a bunch of A roads that will be sign posted".

There's no guarantee that the traffic won't be bad, but there's no guarantee of that with any motorway between London and the North West on a Friday afternoon.

I would allow 5 hours rather than 4.

Thanks for the advice, especially about the insurance, m.i.l suggested we just take e111 forms, but a bit more cover in case of emergency sounds good.

Wife is primary school teacher, so leaving earlier is a no go, as it is she's being done a favour getting to leave at 1.30.

Was wondering if what I'd gain by swerving the m1 shuffle, I'd lose by fighting round to the m40 - how are both these roads (m1/m6-m40) for speed cameras?

Can't wait to see Ireland, always wanted to go, and her family are of irish background so keep seeing pics from their hols which just whet my appetite even more.

Having travelled to Essex (Chigwell) for 2 years at weekends a few years ago from Leicester - I was always going `the other way` against the mad rush to get out of London so I've never done it the other way around. I used to then head to Leamington on the way home. I used to do M25 to M40 and then up (you would then do M42/M6 etc). I understand the M1 quandry and it's a case of what it is like on the day. The M1 is better with the road improvements around St.Albans (J10?) but when you get to Luton/Bedford and especially Milton Keynes @ J14 it can be quite bad on Friday's. Usually after 3pm so you may well miss it anyway.

Put it this way - I've had far less trauma on the M40 than I ever have done on the M1. :good:

I don't think there is a right answer so monitor the traffic alerts and make a choice!

FYI - the M1 J15A (Northampton) to J19 (M6) has roadworks with SPECS (av.speed cameras) all the way on 50mph limit. Tends to flow ok but feels really slow!

Find yourself to the M40 and travel north, this is a quiet motorway compared with the M6 and has pleasant views of rolling countryside. Then M42 north. Stay on the 42 until it splits for the M6 toll. Use the toll road, it cost £5.50 and will get you past Birmingham missing the roadworks. From there you will automatically join the M6. Stay on the M6 as far as the M56. Following the signs for Chester continue along the M56 West bound (towards Chester), you will pick up signs for Liverpool and the M53. Use the 53 until up pick up signs for Birkenhead and the A41. The A41 takes you into Birkenhead where you will pick up the signs for the ferry. Or stay on the M53 as far as Wallasey and the ferry is signed from there but keep your eyes open as the tunnel is the next stop and caries a toll.

have a nice trip and enjoy your break away.

I live in MK when going NW I get on J15 of the M1 to J24 and take the A50 to J15 of the M6 at Stoke which cuts out B'ham.

I often use the M40, then M42 and M5 when going to the West Midlands, that seems to run quite well.

From Essex/East London I'd be inclined to use A1M then cut across A14 to M6.

There's regularly problems on the M1 North from M25 upwards especially on a Friday afternoon and traffic diverts onto the A5 as a work around and that snarls up at Dunstable, both ends of the MK bypass and Towcester.

Edited by PhilR

You'll be fine you have left loads of time, M11 out of London M25 and then M1 and follow the sat nav taking the M6 toll. If you want to check everything google traffic england and look at the motorway flow map to check for holdups. M1 past Luton you will have cleared by 2.30pm so be absolutely fine as long as no accidents which will show up online. To get to the M42 you are adding at least a 45 minute detour that means you could afford to sit in a fair bit of traffic on the M1 anyway and then it means you can't avoid birmingham unless you detour even further to go on the toll road.

Which ever way you go on the first leg to the Midlands (M25/M1/first part of M6 or M25/M40/M42) won't be too bad at 1.30 pm. The problem you will have is after Birmingham on the M6 which as others have said will be a 100 mile traffic jam from around 3.00pm onwards on a Friday. Can't offer a sensible alternative I'm afraid (if you can leave early just do!)

How about this for a suggestion, you go off earlier in the day on your own and your wife finishes work at 1.30 and gets the train from Euston, you pick her up from Crewe which is only 1and a half to two hours by train.

The stress of being caught up on the M6 on a Friday night looking at the clock ticking away is a killer.

Could try M1 go onto A50 at Kegworth junction 23. Cut across on A518 to A51 at Uttoxeter. Then take A49 at Tarporely to Warrington. Then M62 to Liverpool.

How about this for a suggestion, you go off earlier in the day on your own and your wife finishes work at 1.30 and gets the train from Euston, you pick her up from Crewe which is only 1and a half to two hours by train.

The stress of being caught up on the M6 on a Friday night looking at the clock ticking away is a killer.

Neat idea. :)