Bait stations for foxes

Scully

Anyone do this? We have permission from landowner to erect a permanent hide attached to the gable of his silage pit. It overlooks an expanse of pasture land which foxes are prone to visit and also one corner of our pen around which foxes have been known to snoop.

We did intend to build it up a height but as the silage pit is already on raised ground we can simply sit it on the ground next to the pit.

It will be sat on concrete railway sleepers and we will stick build it from there using pallets, timber I-beams and treated 4x2 taken from a high seat we built in the bowl of an oak some years ago but which is now no longer used. It will be bolted together with timber-lok bolts.

We have backstops out to about 200 yards.

Will take pics as a step by step project if anyone is interested, and will not be using fallen stock as we are aware this is verboten, but before we make a start are there any other legal issues which we need to be aware of regarding bait stations?

Cheers all.

Edited by Scully

Only legalities' I know of are, as you said, those relating to fallen stock and SFP penalties.

You could use all the usual baits and baiting tricks like sardines, tinned dog food, boiled hoof, battery clocks etc. However, I find the best way is to store a dead sheep in the appropriate place whilst waiting for it to be collected by the kennels.

I do it all year round with great results.

Pick an area that suits and what ever scraps are left of whats in season at the time gets dug into a wee slit in the ground and you will soon have foxes coming very regular.I shoot round about the full moon so the lamp is rarely needed if its on a clear night.

One of the farms where I shoot will leave a dead ewe out for a few nights every now and again just to see whats about. if its untouched for 3-4 days he will put in the yard ready for disposal, if its been disturbed I get a call. To be fair the foxes are well controlled and dont cause many issues.

As fruity says it is often good to tie the dead stock (chickens and similar smaller stock) to a post or similar to stop the fox running off with it and eating in cover.

Not many elephants about my permission so thats that ruled out. Dont know if i would get a variation for them either. I was just wondering if theres any mere mortals out there who do have fox problems but also work long hours and have family commitments which means they dont necessarily have the capability to put fresh bait out every day.

Not many elephants about my permission so thats that ruled out. Dont know if i would get a variation for them either. I was just wondering if theres any mere mortals out there who do have fox problems but also work long hours and have family commitments which means they dont necessarily have the capability to put fresh bait out every day.

Yes there is, me. :)

But we have the advantage of our landowner also being a keen fox shooter and he can easily bait the station each night a few days prior to any of us going up there. I only live around a mile away also. We have trail cams in various places also, so as soon as a fox is spotted we'll start baiting.

As our rough shoot is a working farm and we can't always get off road due to soft ground or crops etc then we thought it may be a better idea to try this rather than driving around wasting time for no result. It also means we can do it independently from each other and not have to rely on someone being available to either lamp or shoot, and as we're putting a roof on it also we can sit in comparative comfort out of the wind and rain.

That's the theory anyhow, what happens in practise remains to be seen.

I have used a dead chicken that was a few days old it was tied onto a long piece of string and dragged all the way round the field and then left where it was to be shot by going all round the field the fox would pick up the smell what ever way it entered the field

We built a fox box 2 years ago on the back of a barn nice and comfy ..

We have a bait station about 90 yds into the field, we hang the bait from a couple of nails knocked into a telegraph pole

so the bait is a couple of foot of the ground.

When the farmer does his rounds in the morning he can see if the bait has gone from the yard if so he hangs some more out then rings me to let me know

saves a 40 + mile round trip for us to check..He's a good farmer always willing to do things for us to help..

We built a fox box 2 years ago on the back of a barn nice and comfy ..

We have a bait station about 90 yds into the field, we hang the bait from a couple of nails knocked into a telegraph pole

so the bait is a couple of foot of the ground.

When the farmer does his rounds in the morning he can see if the bait has gone from the yard if so he hangs some more out then rings me to let me know

saves a 40 + mile round trip for us to check..He's a good farmer always willing to do things for us to help..

Sounds ideal.

I do one if two things easiest I peg a small tin of cat food with a steel spike to the ground with a few holes into top ideally food with gravy so some sits on top for it to lick up.

The other for a problem fox I bait an area of I keep missing the fox I add a PIR lamp and move to a timed pet feed foxes soon relise at 10:30 it's food time then after few days set up with the wind in my face feed opens fox turns up light comes on fox gets a lead pill.