Pigeon shooting close season.

Cranfield

Pigeon shooting close season.  

113 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think there should be an enforced close season for pigeon shooting ?

• Yes.
    • No. use personal restraint, if necessary

Fisherman Mike, we all shoot under the guise of pest control, but who really cares about crop damage - I shoot woodpigeons because they are the finest legitimate wing shooting there is, if it was any other species of Dove (with the exception maybe of Stockies) in such numbers wild horses would'nt drag me out to shoot them!

You are sounding like an anti to me, may I make a polite suggestion why don't you simply stick to fishing and bird watching?

CB

Country Boy... you are entitled to your opinion on an open Forum and I respect that. but im just saying it as I see it. I am anti in the sense that I am anti any country passtime which I consider un-sporting. We are lucky in as much as we are able to shoot wood pigeon under the guidance and legislation of the Defra open list.

It wouldnt take long for indescriminate killing of the birds coupled with disease and a couple of hard winters to decimate Wood pigeon stocks as it did with many bird species in 63 and 85.

Your statement about "but who really cares about crop damage" suggests to me that you are no more than a avian assasin and shoot pigeon because of the thrill it gives you. Dont get me wrong I get a thrill out of it too but I dont feel obliged to shoot a bird just because its there. Im afraid you are potentially doing more to harm the sport than I am and I dont doubt you and people like you would bang away at Wood pigeon until they were depleted and then blame defra or the farmers.

You stick to your beliefs and share them with us but please dont insult my intelligence. <_<

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am with FM here. Well, in part anyhow. Even though I voted no to a close season. I do not shoot Pigeons throughout the Summer months, same with Rabbits. But even though they are pest spieces, it does not mean that they have to be shot on sight. If they are doing no damage then they are not a pest. If they are causing damage then at that moment they are a pest and should be shot in any month.

Outside your garden a weed is just another wild flower. Only when it has an impact on humans does it become a pest.

Just my fourpenneth worth. <_<

I am with FM here. Well, in part anyhow. Even though I voted no to a close season. I do not shoot Pigeons throughout the Summer months, same with Rabbits. But even though they are pest spieces, it does not mean that they have to be shot on sight. If they are doing no damage then they are not a pest. If they are causing damage then at that moment they are a pest and should be shot in any month.

Outside your garden a weed is just another wild flower. Only when it has an impact on humans does it become a pest.

Just my fourpenneth worth. :lol:

I totally agree <_<

It wouldnt take long for indescriminate killing of the birds coupled with disease and a couple of hard winters to decimate Wood pigeon stocks as it did with many bird species in 63 and 85.

Your statement about "but who really cares about crop damage" suggests to me that you are no more than a avian assasin and shoot pigeon because of the thrill it gives you. Dont get me wrong I get a thrill out of it too but I dont feel obliged to shoot a bird just because its there. Im afraid you are potentially doing more to harm the sport than I am and I dont doubt you and people like you would bang away at Wood pigeon until they were depleted and then blame defra or the farmers.

FM,

Firstly I am not an unsporting avian assasin, and of course I'm not obligated to 'shoot it cause its there', nor am I doing the sport any harm, I don't shoot that many pigeons BUT I DO LIKE TO GO AS AND WHEN IT SUITS ME!

Believe me not even George Digweed could 'bang away at Wood pigeon until they were depleted'.

Let me tell you the woodpigeon is becoming evermore aware of us, to the extent that to be indiscrimately killed is not on its agenda, in 63 there was no rape to speak of and in 85 there was less than one third of todays oilseed acreage, and if we are seeing global warming then hard winters will be a thing of the past and pigeons numbers will rise to meet the extra winter food supplies.

No I just don't agree with anyone who advocates or even thinks about a close season for woodpigeon, its comments like yours which unwittingly help to set the wheels in motion and if the EU ever succeed in achieving a close season we all might as well pack up and start fishing.

CB

Okay, maybe I suggested too long a closed season. But I would be more than happy if it ran from 1st April until 1st August. So would the pigeons, and so would you, because there would be lots more pigeons to shoot.

As for the old chestnut, "Try telling that to the farmer when his crop is getting hammered...", easy answer, "Sorry, Mr Farmer, its the closed season just now, I can't do shoot them or I'll get done, try a gas gun instead..."

Please try not to hate me for my opinion. I guided for enough years and would easily shoot 7-10,000 birds in the peak summer months, every summer. But I was wrong, the birds deserve better.

Of course, you may think I'm a ***, and thats just fine too. <_<

No, if you give it up you don`t get it back and if you have issues, you don`t have to go out and shoot.

<_<

I voted No

this is absolutely absurd, we're attacking our own activities,, whats wrong with you idiots :lol::lol:

here here well said that man

kirky

Okay, maybe I suggested too long a closed season. But I would be more than happy if it ran from 1st April until 1st August. So would the pigeons, and so would you, because there would be lots more pigeons to shoot.

As for the old chestnut, "Try telling that to the farmer when his crop is getting hammered...", easy answer, "Sorry, Mr Farmer, its the closed season just now, I can't do shoot them or I'll get done, try a gas gun instead..."

Please try not to hate me for my opinion. I guided for enough years and would easily shoot 7-10,000 birds in the peak summer months, every summer. But I was wrong, the birds deserve better.

Of course, you may think I'm a ***, and thats just fine too. :lol:

ban it altogether and we would not need to bother buying your gear :lol::D :(

only joking mate cheers kirky

Of course, you may think I'm a ***, and thats just fine too. <_<

Hey Deako,

I know 'how long you guided for' and it was'nt that long and no way did you and your 'clients' ever shoot that many pigeons, so please mate, stop it with the porkies.

If a close season ever comes you will be signing-on matey.

Just take a step back and look at Denmark, first, in 87 they f____d 'em with a lead ban, then in 90 they introduced a close season for woodies 1st April until 1st July - 4 months, and now after several more cuts their close season is 1st February until 30th September - thats 8 months!!

The pigeon shooting trade is f____d because the pigeon shooting is f____d and the pigeon population will be out of control within the next five years.

A close season for a pest species is a receipe for disaster - for farming ( well Blair is currently f______g them anyway) for shooters and for the trade - decoying stuff but mainly cartridges.

Sorry mate but you definitely are not a *** - ***'s are a very nice distraction - you are something else, get on the river bank with FM.

CB

Hey Country Boy............ what is it you have against fishing ?.

I can see your point of view, I dont necessarily agree with it but im not going to start insulting your integrity.... You could learn a lot from an Angler mate...patience & tolerance being the two that come to mind.... Why dont you consider growing up a bit and changing your name to country man.... alternatively air your views as you wish but dont start getting nasty when someone doesnt agree with them........thats very immature.

Ive put my views, many may not agree with them, but thats OK, Im not going to lose any sleep over it !

By the way, if your man enough to apologise for suggesting Im an anti, it would be gratefully accepted. :good:

Cheers.

FM.

By the way, if your man enough to apologise for suggesting Im an anti, it would be gratefully accepted. :good:

FM.

Mike,

With hind sight I do realise you ain't no anti, please accept my humble apologies!

But I must stress that we really should not be voting upon a close season for a pest species, thee pest species, the numero uno of arable pest species.

It can, as I say, only be a receipe for disaster - disaster for those who hunt it.

Cheers, Country Man.

I vote NO

Why are they on the general license, because they are a pest............12 months of the year, end of story.

Woodies are the same as rabbits they are agricultural pests, to be controlled throught the year as and when necessary. We control them to protect food production.

If they cease to be pests for a so called "closed season" then they cease to be pests at all and should be protected at all times.

Charlie

I voted no, however, I personally don't tend to hit them hard in the summer, especially not on stubbles where they are doing little damage, unless I want some for the pot, this is a personal choice as I do not want to leave young to starve. However, I will happily shoot them when they are not doing directly damage come february and roost shooting. If they were hammering a crop then I feel (as a farmer would!) that season is fairly irrelevant.

FM.

Mike,

With hind sight I do realise you ain't no anti, please accept my humble apologies!

But I must stress that we really should not be voting upon a close season for a pest species, thee pest species, the numero uno of arable pest species.

It can, as I say, only be a receipe for disaster - disaster for those who hunt it.

Cheers, Country Man.

Apology accepted country boy...

I think all of us are agreed on one thing and that is the continuance of Pigeon shooting under the General Licence.

All I am trying to point out is that we should never be complacent and take it for granted by shooting outside the guide lines ( which many of us do )

I have a long association with the hunt and we never ever thought that it would ever be banned. We were given ample opportunity to put our house in order and clean up our act but never took it.

It wouldnt take much for the weight of one of the big bird organisations to be thrown behind public opinion and we could quite easily be in the same position.

If the rules state shooting for crop protection then thats what I shall continue to do, It just so happens that in my area there aint much crop protection when the birds are in full breeding mode.

If we adopt the head in the sand attitude that mass shooting of birds outside these guidelines is ok we will sooner or later be in jeopardy, I can guarantee it.

Thats all from me on the subject.

Cheers.

FM.