Pigeon shooting close season.

Cranfield

Pigeon shooting close season.  

113 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think there should be an enforced close season for pigeon shooting ?

• Yes.
    • No. use personal restraint, if necessary

This topic partly derailed the BASC Pigeon Conference thread and is worth a poll of its own.

Members have expressed their reluctance to shoot breeding birds in the past and that is a matter for personal choice.

However, it may alarm some people if there is a lobby (as Deako suggests and supports) for a fixed close season for pigeon shooting, which would cover almost half of the year.

Here is a chance to air your views, but please keep it polite.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely NO,

A close season is usually for bird etc to be allowed to breed,

Why would you want to let a pest breed? If you answer to secure your sport then it is the wrong reason.

My understanding of it is you are not allowed to shoot pigeons for sport.

Pigeons do agricultural damage every month of the year, just depends where you are in the UK and what's being cultivated.

Local to me there is the winter rape (only just now getting away, although the bald patches will still get hammered for the next couple of months), then peas, and wind blown wheat & barley.

That's more or less January - December covered.

It is a pest and also one of the best sporting birds available to us.

Cheers

AndyCM

No, because there simply isn't the justification by way of reduced numbers and with the climate the way it is they are not just breeding in summer either, they pretty much please themselves by the looks of things.

As has been said they are shot because they are the greatest agricultural pest, why would you let a pest breed?

Lets not forget that the general licence, as well as allowing shooting, also allows other methods of control because they are a pest - the destruction of nests and the taking of eggs for example.

I wouldn't want to see them eradicated completely, I don't think we should be able to make that choice, but they can be controlled to manageable numbers and that is just how it should stay.

A BIG NO from me. All the mild winters we are experiencing are boosting pigeon numbers for a start. The thought of a close seaon will have Anti's pushing harder for a total ban, lets not play into their hands because it would be hard to turn back the clock on what would be a monumental victory for them.

Even the RSPCB makes Woody the most populous bird in the UK (and this at a time when more are being shot than ever before) and all the indications are that they will continue to explode population wise thanks to agriculture and winter crops plus the so called global warming. If any bird is capable of exploiting a changing climate/habitat Woody is it.

I'd definitely vote NO to a close season and if there's any doubts BASC should join forces with the NFU on this topic!

BASC and the NFU regulary get together to discuss issues of joint interest - although pigeons have not come up on the agenda in the recent past - I can assure you that if it does both the NFU and BASC will have a common interest in doing all we can to keep this significant agrucultural pest under control.

David

this is absolutely absurd, we're attacking our own activities,, whats wrong with you idiots :lol::/

The reason for the poll is that Deako suggested that a close season was being sought by certain parties, see the BASC Conference thread here, http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/ind...showtopic=30871 .

To avoid derailing that thread much more, it was posted here as a separate discussion point, with a poll.

I voted No.

I voted NO.

To my mind the woodpigeon is either an agricultural pest (currently with the tag of No.1 Pest Species) to be shot on sight or else it is not and with that in mind anyone voting Yes (I strongly feel) should be barred from this forum!

Been thinking more about this topic -

WHY ARE WE VOTING ON THIS ISSUE?

It is not compulsory to attempt to shoot pigeons all year round.

How can anyone who shoots pigeons pretend they are concerned about orphaned squabs, when even the Jim Albones among us could never be 100% accurate!

Point is - who has never attempted to shoot at that high crossing bird only to see it fly on, probably 'pricked' to die later?

In fact in truth no-one will ever know what the standard of marksmanship really is and just how many birds we wound between us.

SO PLEASE ALL OF YOU CEASE THIS HYPOCRISY AND GET REAL.

WOODPIGEONS THANKFULLY ARE A SERIOUS PEST AND WE CAN SHOOT THEM ALL YEAR ROUND - BUT YOU DON'T HAVE TO!

END OF.......

C.B.

Its generally accepted by the Farmers on whose land I shoot that damage by Pigeon to food crops, even though numbers are at a record level, is minimal.

In these days of Intensive rape production food is at an abundance many of the rape fields in these areas will not even be touched.

You cannot say that birds feeding on stubble is crop damage, quite the opposite infact, similarly overspill drillings of wheat, barley or corn will only be mopped up from the surface. Modern drilling machinery leaves little such waste and pigeon unlike crows or rooks wont bury for seed below the surface.

The main risk crop is legumes like peas & beans where pigeons can and do a great deal of damage.

The problem we have at the moment is that we have become a nation of ornithologists and naturalists and wild bird food, feeders, tables, and next boxes are a multi million pound industry. The Wood pigeon has become such a cosmopolitan bird that joe public no longer looks on him as a pest, (if indeed they ever did)

moreover a handsome addition to the garden.

It is these people with the weight of public support behind them that will determine the future of our sport, and as more and more support the BTO and RSPB and take part in the BBs and Garden Bird Survey, woody could quite easily take on a popularity status similar to the Blue *** or the Blackbird !

I think its important therefore, that woodpigeon are only shot when Pest control is absolutely necessary and a close season which coincides with the birds PEAK breeding season is implimented.

This an old chestnut and quite a hot one at that, but the simple truth is that many of us, go out and shoot Wood Pigeon weekly, even daily because we enjoy shooting the birds and crop protection is notan issue which we consider when doing so.

I think by having a close season we will be protecting our sport from criticism, far from jeopardising it and we can demonstrate that when we do shoot Pigeon its not for selfish or financial motives but to minimise crop predation and nothing else.

I suspect many of you wont agree with these sentiments, but I exercise a close season generally April to end August, shoot predominately in the winter months, and unless the birds are a particular problem in my area wont even bother then.

This I shall continue to do.

FM ( RSPB, BTO & BASC member)

Its generally accepted by the Farmers on whose land I shoot that damage by Pigeon to food crops, even though numbers are at a record level, is minimal.

In these days of Intensive rape production food is at an abundance many of the rape fields in these areas will not even be touched.

You cannot say that birds feeding on stubble is crop damage, quite the opposite infact, similarly overspill drillings of wheat, barley or corn will only be mopped up from the surface. Modern drilling machinery leaves little such waste and pigeon unlike crows or rooks wont bury for seed below the surface.

The main risk crop is legumes like peas & beans where pigeons can and do a great deal of damage.

The problem we have at the moment is that we have become a nation of ornithologists and naturalists and wild bird food, feeders, tables, and next boxes are a multi million pound industry. The Wood pigeon has become such a cosmopolitan bird that joe public no longer looks on him as a pest, (if indeed they ever did)

moreover a handsome addition to the garden.

It is these people with the weight of public support behind them that will determine the future of our sport, and as more and more support the BTO and RSPB and take part in the BBs and Garden Bird Survey, woody could quite easily take on a popularity status similar to the Blue *** or the Blackbird !

I think its important therefore, that woodpigeon are only shot when Pest control is absolutely necessary and a close season which coincides with the birds PEAK breeding season is implimented.

This an old chestnut and quite a hot one at that, but the simple truth is that many of us, go out and shoot Wood Pigeon weekly, even daily because we enjoy shooting the birds and crop protection is notan issue which we consider when doing so.

I think by having a close season we will be protecting our sport from criticism, far from jeopardising it and we can demonstrate that when we do shoot Pigeon its not for selfish or financial motives but to minimise crop predation and nothing else.

I suspect many of you wont agree with these sentiments, but I exercise a close season generally April to end August, shoot predominately in the winter months, and unless the birds are a particular problem in my area wont even bother then.

This I shall continue to do.

FM ( RSPB, BTO & BASC member)

Fisherman Mike, we all shoot under the guise of pest control, but who really cares about crop damage - I shoot woodpigeons because they are the finest legitimate wing shooting there is, if it was any other species of Dove (with the exception maybe of Stockies) in such numbers wild horses would'nt drag me out to shoot them!

You are sounding like an anti to me, may I make a polite suggestion why don't you simply stick to fishing and bird watching?

CB

sorry if theis has beensaid before but its is to much to read at the mo, so...

in my opinion when pigeons are not in flocks, (are mating) they are very hard to decoy!

so as a far as a closed season goes whats the point when they kind of invoke there own!

how this tread made such an argument i do not know...

steve

ps. what i have read are some very good opinoins...