Interesting charity shop purchase

aris

I remember buying cartridges in Finch Feeds. Don't know if the shop is still there.

Ahh! Finch feeds was local to me too. I knew Keith well, I bought several cheap shotguns and my Voere .22 semi-suto which I still have and use regularly. It may well be the one advertised, I thought I paid £40 but I could well have part exchanged something for it, it was nearly 40 years ago.

The shop's still there but now a charity shop of some sort - The shop closed down in around 1989.

The books set of three Clay pigeon Marksmanship, Shotgun and Shooter, Shotgun Marksmanship. I have all 3 shows how old I am but not a lot new since Stansbury. Ialso have some Chris Craddock books to me the best instructional books ever.

A Woodward for £3200.00

Wonder what thats worth now ?

20,30 or40 plus!

But you have to remember at the time average family incomes were about 6k per annum,

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/household-income/the-effects-of-taxes-and-benefits-on-household-income/50-years-of-the-effects-of-taxes-and-benefits-analysis/sty-taxes-and-benefits-on-household-income.html

Suddenly your Woodward seems less of a bargin. Very few guns appreciate in value but most if you look after them will be worth what you paid for them, a couple of years before that time I bought an AYA number 2 new for £425, today new it would cost over 5k, but fashions change and I doubt its worth much more than 1200 even given light use.

The Woodward would maybe be worth half an average years salary, maybe 18k, but thats only kept up with inflation all be it better than my AYA.

A

I remember buying a Savage 5 shot pump action, and a Baikal single barrel shotgun from Kays catalogue. :)

I also purchased a brand new Essex 12g s/s ejector from the Kay's catalogue in 1966, I paid approx £39.00 for the gun.

And purchased a AYA No 2 in 1970 from the the late Reg Gizzi at Fieldsports Equipe in Rhyl, the gun cost me £99.00 brand new!

Edited by browning123

I also purchased a brand new Essex 12g s/s ejector from the Kay's catalogue in 1966, I paid approx £39.00 for the gun.

And purchased a AYA No 2 in 1970 from the the late Reg Gizzi at Fieldsports Equipe in Rhyl, the gun cost me £99.00 brand new!

I'm not sure what I paid for the Savage pump action, but the Baikal SB cost £40. This was in 1976.

Ahh! Finch feeds was local to me too. I knew Keith well, I bought several cheap shotguns and my Voere .22 semi-suto which I still have and use regularly. It may well be the one advertised, I thought I paid £40 but I could well have part exchanged something for it, it was nearly 40 years ago.

The shop's still there but now a charity shop of some sort - The shop closed down in around 1989.

Wasn't the shop up in Ore Village. I think that I bought some 20 bore cartridges from there.

And I can remember guns being available from the Empire store catalogue.

book bit dated,but alot of the stuff is ageless and overall good book.Percy Stanbury could shoot too......won all sorts including skeet championships shooting side by side choked full & full......

Yes, he shot full & full with a 12g Webley & Scott 700, I was once lucky enough to view the gun, the stock was covered in ovals inscribed with the completions he had won.

image.jpg

Edited by browning123