Church and feral pigeons?????

Phil9

Hiya guys need some advice please,, I did a job at a local church today, and the vicar was looking up at the bell tower, then said to me I need to get rid of them pigeons and quickly (feral pigeons). So I offered my services to him explaining how I'd get rid ov them, to which he replied the jobs yours😊, after having a good look round sussing out what best area to shoot from,backstops ect I told him I'd be up later in the week to try sort the problem, the church is away from any main roads and doesn't have any roads or footpaths around it also the graveyard/church gates are locked at 6:30pm every night so after that is when I no I can safely shoot knowing there isn't anybody lurking in the graveyard (well alive anyway)🙈 my question is, have any of you chaps got any same perms or is there any thing that says you can't shoot in a graveyard/church grounds??? The vicar has said he will sign a permission slip for me so I'm covered with that, thanks phil.

By the time Phil9 gets to meet the top man it will be to late to go shooting. Its difficult getting into the hide then as the wings get in the way.

Sorry. I meant that usually the diocese has all 'rights'. The vicar is only a custodian.

And yes, there's only so far up the chain of command any of us can go :)

Churches are expensive buildings. Make sure your insurance is up to date.

If the vicar says it's OK then you are OK.

The Parochial Church Council are the custodians but the vicar will be the boss.

Amazing how some of the contributors above come up with all sorts of scaremongering.

Wonder that they ever get any shooting done.

In the 'olden' days one chap in the village was always given permission to shoot pigeons from the church tower or steeple. Providing the vicar got a couple for lunch now and then.

Get in and fill your boots boy. Holly pigs must taste better than the normal variety.

If you feel you may be spotted then it would be wise to phone the police non emergency number and let them know you are carrying out a pest control job at ____ church involving the use of a airgun and leave your mobile number.

We used to do this when doing similar in small places when working for a large well known pest control company... Just incase spotted people freak and phone 999.

If you feel you may be spotted then it would be wise to phone the police non emergency number and let them know you are carrying out a pest control job at ____ church involving the use of a airgun and leave your mobile number.

We used to do this when doing similar in small places when working for a large well known pest control company... Just incase spotted people freak and phone 999.

yeah I definitely will do that mate better to be known than av the plod turn up,, with a waste off both our times.

yeah I definitely will do that mate better to be known than av the plod turn up,, with a waste off both our times.

Definitely. It's not such a big deal on a bigger perm, I don't bother calling when out where I shoot, its mainly if a small place where you are at a high risk of being spotted. :-). They may still send someone out but they know what they are dealing with upfront so you won't be on your tummy with 5 red dots on you're forehead.

Used to know someone that worked in Durham Cathedral. ..

He was a very very mild mannered religious type. Not a bad word about anyone.

Mention pigeons to him...the air went blue!

Seems they're the cause of many tens of thousands of pounds worth of damage.

Crack on...and offer the vicar a few in case he or his own flock may be partial to eating them.

Edited by saddler

By the time Phil9 gets to meet the top man it will be to late to go shooting. Its difficult getting into the hide then as the wings get in the way.

Ah that made me laugh :lol:

Pigeons are a problem on all public buildings, bats in churches even worse and the law protects them! The Vicar and the PCC will be empowered with protecting and stopping degradation by pests I would imagine amongst their other duties. It is a matter of grave concern to many churches

Ah that made me laugh :lol:

Pigeons are a problem on all public buildings, bats in churches even worse and the law protects them! The Vicar and the PCC will be empowered with protecting and stopping degradation by pests I would imagine amongst their other duties. It is a matter of grave concern to many churches

:lol::good:

Have shot/ferreted churchyards and cemeteries before, as above inform police if shooting other than that just be careful even funny times of night you'll be surprised at the people that can appear. If going on a weekend be aware that a locked gate may not deter vandals/courting couples and if ther is a working cemetery in the grounds, be aware people will come to visit graves at any time of night

You never know, this could open a whole load of churchyard shooting once the Vicar has his next meet up with colleages. I would reckon its an ongoing problem for churches.

thats what I thought myself as he already said to me one of his fellow vicars has quite a few rabbits in his vicarage garden an he's going to speak to him and then let me know??!

good advice, he will be seen, no doubt about it. The other thing is that people sleeping rough favour churchyards because they are safer than shop doorways. So he might encounter some strange characters

Edited by Vince Green

good advice, he will be seen, no doubt about it. The other thing is that people sleeping rough favour churchyards because they are safer than shop doorways. So he might encounter some strange characters

Creepy eh, once I was gassing rabbits in a grave yard once with two colleagues (Phostoxin) last light after cemetery closed and the amount of people coming over to the outer perimeter was odd... some of them certainly weren't there to mourn the dead! Seemingly popular place for rabbits in graveyards.

Came across many a homeless person in church yards, but good on them for thinking 'outside the box'