Binocular advice

Hi there men I'm after a set of binoculars just for general use in the truck and out walking, I want to spend about £40-£80 can anyone advice??

I understand that isn't going to get me a pair of leupolds but that's just about what I can justfiy spending at the min.

Any advice would be good.

Regards Dan

Have a look at opticron binos, they are very good for the money.

I was in the same boat a little while ago and waited and waited and waited,,,,,eventually just around the corner from me someone was selling some opticron travellers on ebay. I won them at £70 and I'm over the moon with them. 8x32 and as bright as a button.

I'd defo look at opticron, op can probably get close to a new pair at the lower end for his budget. I'd bet they are still very good. Or wait and get a billy bargain 2nd hand.

Edit: If I hadn't got my ones 2nd hand I'd have gone for these http://www.amazon.co.uk/Opticron-Adventurer-8x42-Green-Binocular/dp/B008FM109K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1430666656&sr=8-1&keywords=opticron+binoculars

Edited by Muddy Funker

If you're interested I have a pair of Busnell infinity 10.5 x45 £100 posted. I have upgraded to rangefinders bins.

They have served me well for spotting rabbit's and the like while out long range varminting and stalking.

• 2 weeks later...

I would look for a lower power. anything over about 7x is difficult to hold still. magnify the image magnify the shake.

The other reason is that you need a minimum exit pupil of 5mm and a wide field of view for (enjoyable) casual use.

The Nikon Action 7x35 is worth a look. It seems to be the only wide angle 7x35 on the market right now, pretty strange given that they are ideal for watching horse races and we still have plenty of those around the world. I bought one for my mother about 20 years ago and it is still working well for her.

NB A Porro prism binocular will take the most knocks before going out of alignment whereas a roof prism binocular is harder to align in the first place and needs fancier, i.e. more expensive lens coatings to work properly (the reason why Swarovski bought Kahles some years back). If a bottom end roof prism binocular is hard to use, i.e. gives you a head ache, it is typically because it was not properly aligned at the factory.

The advantage of a roof prism binocular is that it tends to be narrower, therefore fitting more easily into a jacket pocket, although that also means a narrower field of view.

Best of luck, whatever you pick.

£40 - £50 at any large game fair will buy you a pair of 10 x 50 'Chinese' bins.

Cheap as chips but they work 'till you break them by letting them get stuck behind the seat of the Landy.

Go get another pair...

Perfectly good quality for general use like stalking and fowling. Then you don't have to keep worrying about them.

Cheap scopes are a NO NO. Bins are not the same problem.

Edited by Grandalf

Agree with geordieh. Good and reliable, but weighty.

I need would be looking around for a second hand for that money. Car boots and the like, if in no particular rush.

The only thing I would say is go for the 7x50. Exit pupil diameter of 7.1mm (so about optimum), not so shaky when viewing and fair light collection. Had mine for nearly 40 years and won't be changing now!