Jehovas Witness`s - How to stop them knocking.

Salop Matt

We get quite few JW here surprisingly as its strongly religious and sparsely populated, the last one asked me if I wanted to live forever and was taken aback when I said no and questioned her grasp on forever, harmless enough just take the paper and wave them good bye

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

General speaking living in Army quarters we don't get many but a couple of years ago the patch we where on was just 20 houses off a normal street, they came down and caught me a couple of times first time I just said no thanks. Second I was a little bored so had a chat, the topic of the day was peace.

I highlighted that world peace was not ideal for business on this street, as everyone was Army, they excused themselves, didn't even drink the tea.

when I first started my job at Sony, I worked in a regional office in Leeds. I said I was off to give blood one lunchtime and might be a little longer than normal. One of the ladies said "oh I have some leaflets on that"

I thought she worked for the blood transfusion service, turns out she was a JW... :lol:

Is it really that hard just to answer the door, be polite and say no thanks?

+ 1

Now that is more like it.

I visited a 'friend' recently as he had been in hospital so took some magazines for him to read.

I knew he was in but nobody answered the door so I hung the magazines on the door handle.

As I was walking away the door opened slightly and a hand came out and took the magazines so I went back and knocked on the window and saw his teenage daughter just going out of the room.

She had no intention of opening up so I just said 'some magazines for +++ to read' and left.

I was so angry I e mailed him, he said he was having a shower and has told his 'young' daughter never to open the door to strangers and yet she shouted upstairs to him who I was.

I mentioned how rude I thought it was of him not to even open the door and was slagged off something wicked and he was backed up all the way by his mates.

I think there is nothing more rude than not answering the door to someone even if it is only to tell them to go away.

But then perhaps there are a lot of frightened people out there.

Is it really that hard just to answer the door, be polite and say no thanks?

I suspect that is what actually happens in most cases.

Having read this thread I'm just waiting for someone to pop up to tell us how he was at a posh gameshoot and beat all the toffs in tweeds with his rusty baikal held together with string.

Having read this thread I'm just waiting for someone to pop up to tell us how he was at a posh gameshoot and beat all the toffs in tweeds with his rusty baikal held together with string.

You obviously don't own one, or you would know that the best ones are held together with baler twine, not string ;)

Back on topic, we had them call once just after we moved in.

Had a half hour discussion about drawing evidence-based conclusions and evolution (dropping in the odd quote from Karl Popper, and the fact that I donate platelets every month), we agreed to differ, and they haven't been back since :D Job done, and all perfectly polite, so a worthwhile investment in time as far as I can see :)

Edited by CaptainBeaky

Depends on how strongly one feels about something.

I am a devoted atheist. I will not let a chance go by to point out to these people that they are wrong in their beliefs and wrong in their actions. I do not go round to their houses to convert them. If they turn up at mine then I feel I have a duty to try to persuade them to desist. I honestly believe that they and others like them do a lot of harm to vulnerable people.

Everyone has their own beliefs and that is right and proper. They should just keep them to themselves - Not try to convert others.

A fundamentalist christian sect that believes in the end of the world. Thats the oxford English dictionary's meaning of Jehovah witness.

Worked with them for years at my old job, normal people. One bloke I worked with was an elder, and he was a proper laugh.

Got him a few times, by asking prove to me right now without a shadow of a doubt that god exists? He couldn't

I have never had them knock on my door.

Edited by fatchap

my father was a Jehovah for over 25 yrs, nothing changed his beliefs and he also went preaching around doors, he still went fishing and shooting and ate all he shot and caught , his brothers and sisters (as he called them) would always pop round to our home,

not seen one since the day he died ( 12 yrs now ) but one thing I will say is everyone I met was cheerful and totally law abiding, all the ones I met had either had a tragedy in their life or something had happened to them which made them turn to religion

never felt the need to even look at religion because in my eyes they all claim to be right and I havn,t got the time of day

I am amazed! Amazed this thread has not been shut Down.

It is in effect a religious discussion!

Jehovah's witnesses simply are carrying out Jesus' command to his disciples to spread the good news of his kingdom and its arrival in the future on earth as it is in heaven.

The idea is not to force, how would forcing win hearts? But to encourage any with a longing for bible truth over the many many false teachings.

Jehovah's witnesses no longer use an official method of keeping data of house numbers or names. This is due to the data protection act. Only hand written notes are used so not at homes can be returned to.

If one is adamant simply ask them to write a note there and then for the congregation coordinator or an elder and you should end up on the do not call list.

It is a shame in this world today that people don't take heed of what the bible really says. Answering questions we all ask and providing hope! The alternative is well nothing!

U.