Utter madness

rich1985

Out with the dog this morning and stopped to watch a chap decoying on some vines pea ground, I could not believe my eyes when I saw the amount of gear this chap had lugged across the field, he had 4 yes 4 pigeon magnets whirling round, 3 bouncers and 3 flappers, where any pigeons were ment to decoy is beyond me! My self I seldom use a magnet at all I feel they have near enough had there day, As pigeons seem to now know what they are all about, i do use one on high stubble but that's about it. Hope you are all ready for harvest, hope it works out well for you all.

Out with the dog this morning and stopped to watch a chap decoying on some vines pea ground, I could not believe my eyes when I saw the amount of gear this chap had lugged across the field, he had 4 yes 4 pigeon magnets whirling round, 3 bouncers and 3 flappers, where any pigeons were ment to decoy is beyond me! My self I seldom use a magnet at all I feel they have near enough had there day, As pigeons seem to now know what they are all about, i do use one on high stubble but that's about it. Hope you are all ready for harvest, hope it works out well for you all.

Maybe four magnets aren't required, but it's certainly not madness.

The rotary has by no means 'had it's day'. I have been using them for at least 15 years and I get my fair share of decent bags with one deployed. I would also bet on having success this harvest with a magnet in my pattern.

Another thing which sometimes gets over looked is actually learning how to use the rotary Properly! just placing it out there dosnt always work... I know I'm not alone when I say Iv had my fair share of birds flairing away from these machines at first sight, often tho a quick re-jig can get you back on track and bring the birds steady again! For me these bits of kits will never die off because they work, if your having one of them awful days then try moving it around! If it still dosnt do the trick then bring it in and whip out the floaters or flapper....

That's what Decoying is all about,, ultimately its man v bird lol... All of our bits and bobs are just tools to get us in a more favourable position...

No they don't! :lol:

Each to there own, we will have to agree to disagree motty. Yes you have shot several nice bags with a magnet but equally I have shot several nice bags with out 1. All the best mate and I hope harvest brings you some good bags.

I use a whirly 9 out of 10 times, sometimes two at once. I may not use one of drilling but i have been known to. I have also put the whirly behind me when using a hide in the middle of a field if they dont want to get that close to it.

This is interesting. I do wonder, though, why most of the well known, successful pigeon shooters use rotary devices at least some of the time. Anyone heard of Jim Albone, Peter Theobald or Andy Crow?

You missed me off the list Motty :lol:

I've been using pigeon magnets since they first came out, I don't see them as any less effective now than then. I think some people are looking through rose tinted glasses about the good old days. Both Peter theobald and Jim alboune were sceptical of the magnets when they first became popular , they soon changed their minds on the effectivence . I've had better luck using two magnets rather than one.A friend and I shot 113 pigeons Saturday afternoon with 410s on laid barley only using two magnets , birds decoyed superbly . If you think about it there will be several million young pigeons flying about in the coming months who will never have seen a magnet

I still rarely shoot without a magnet , and would not leave the house without it.

Fen boy seems to talk from a wealth of experience so I'm inclined to hope that he's right since I bought one in October last year and another for my brother last week! I do like the appeal of the lightweight flapper and I suspect I will have one before long. Any recommendations other than A1 decoys as I've had to moderate both magnets I bought from them.

Edited by Columba Grey

Fen boy seems to talk from a wealth of experience so I'm inclined to hope that he's right since I bought one in October last year and another for my brother last week! I do like the appeal of the lightweight flapper and I suspect I will have one before long. Any recommendations other than A1 decoys as I've had to moderate both magnets I bought from them.

AA decoys for the flapper, good price & I have had no problems with mine.