Folding Pen Knife advice please

Slipjoint is where the backspring of the knife provides pressure to keep the blade open or closed, but doesn't make the blade lock - if you pop the lock ring off an opinel it will readily fold with virtually no pressure, and there is no choil to keep your finger safe, hence the scar tissue on my fingers. A slipjoint will also readily fold,but must overcome the pressure of the backspring, which can be 10-20lbs, so is somewhat safer. Also won't open in your pocket, keeping your unit safer.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Lanskey world legal slip joint knife looks decent for the money, just over £15 on Amazon,

I carry a leatherman in my shooting bag I also have one in my clay shooting bag surely that's classed as good reason ?

Not entirely sure about the clay pigeon bag, do you need a knife for clay pigeon shooting?

Agreed, spyderco ukpk is the best UK legal knife to carry everyday, I've got the g10 and s30v version in my pocket now, but that was £105 about ten years ago.

The currently available model, with frn scales and gin1 steel, is £50, and both are pretty full on looking knives -

Black scales, blade close to legal length and quite broad, have had a copper say "I'd nick you for that, don't care if it's legal, it's obviously a weapon, it's black and pointy ". I still carry mine because it IS legal, and it's got the choil which keeps my fingers safe in hard use. However, the joker has a shorter more narrow blade, and a wooden handle, and looks more people friendly. I've gotten my joker in carbon steel out in posh London restaurants without anyone batting an eye, as once open it looks a little like a steak knife. Don't think I'd be comfy doing that with the ukpk, not least because lovely wife would go bananas and thwack me round the noggin with 16oz of sirloin.

http://www.heinnie.com/imperial-schrade-sodbuster-small-black

£7.95 - very useful blade, great steel. What more could you need in a Uk-Legal EDC knife ?

I have one and I do like it but the steel isn't all that great for holding an edge. I honestly think Rough Rider knives have better steel on a very similar budget.

At £7.95 you certainly can't complain though.

Spyderco UKPK for me

Also sword peasants is a good wee knife

A lot of people have got opines and put a pin through the lock-in going ring, therein stopping it from being a lock knife, you can also buy a bigger handled one and re profile the blade so it's under the legal carry limit but has a workable man sized handle. They look neat regroups as a drop point http://s26.photobucket.com/user/budoash/media/opinel002.jpg.html

It locks. The law is an ***.

+1

I also carry a small knife with a locking blade. I think it inconceivable that a respectable citizen would be prosecuted for carrying a knife with a little more than 2" blade among his keys and loose change, just because it locks, thus making it safer to use.

Fallkniven U4, good steel, sharp out of the box and keeps its edge, and plain handle so it doesn't matter what happens to it in pocket. (Also no pocket clip. They annoy me.)

http://www.heinnie.com/fallkniven-u4

+1

I also carry a small knife with a locking blade. I think it inconceivable that a respectable citizen would be prosecuted for carrying a knife with a little more than 2" blade among his keys and loose change, just because it locks, thus making it safer to use.

Fallkniven U4, good steel, sharp out of the box and keeps its edge, and plain handle so it doesn't matter what happens to it in pocket. (Also no pocket clip. They annoy me.)

http://www.heinnie.com/fallkniven-u4

This is the problem with the UK, the powers that be always look for an easy answer to look like they are achieving something. Its like all these knife amnesty's, apart from the fact the only people handing knives in have no ill intent anyway, why doesn't anyone ever consider why gangs of young men feel it's a good idea to stab each other in the first place? Take their knives and they will use dogs, take them they will use a cricket bat etc.

I have the Opinel but find its gets clogged in blood and feathers and then difficult to open. I was looking for something that could be dismantled but cant find t. Then a mate suggested this non folder easy to look after.

http://www.heinnie.com/cold-steel-knives-bird-and-trout

I always wash mine and put a drop of oil on the hinge.