At last, something to write about

Having been out a few times on the rape stubble locally things have been difficult with the birds not decoying at all well. Recent bags have been between 10 and 20 but enjoyable with some challenging (for me!) shots.

Yesterday I decided to try the rape stubble on a different farm. Here, there are 3 smallish fields that lie adjacent to a dual carriageway and I'd noticed over the past few days that the birds seemed to be fighting to the field furthest from the road in good numbers so that was the plan, along with a morning start as opposed to afternoons which I'd been concentrating on recently.

On arrival there were a good few birds visiting the field nearest the road and as I watched more were joining so that was the decision made. The barley field on the other side of the carriageway had been cut so I thought maybe best to keep close to this as well in the hope that the birds would flip over the road if they got shot at over there. As I set up I heard a shot coming from that direction and a few birds came over soon after so all looked good.

I set up with 12 thawed birds on cradles( copying a certain well known exponent of pigeon shooting on here!) and two floaters. I was sited under the only oak on this field shooting away from the road and the houses that skirt it.

The birds didn't decoy well to begin with but as the shooting intensified on the barley field they did start to come in nicely and for the first time in what seems like ages they committed to the pattern.

I finished with 53, not a massive bag by PW standards I know, but special for me, my first 50+ bag.

Next challenge to beat Stevey G to the 100!

Well done, at least someone is getting good bags.

The harvest so far has been nothing short of disappointing.

Lots of fields, rape and barley and plenty of pigeons but decoying them has been another matter.

In many respects pigeons have behaved like it's winter, appearing in numbers on a field, good flightlines and then just clearing off after the first few shots.

Perhaps the amount of harvested fields hasn't helped, giving them lots of choice and no need to stay at one particular field.

I have to say it's been the worst in years for me.

Hopefully will improve when the wheat gets cut, as now most of the rape and barley is done they will be cultivating until the wheat is ready.

Well done to all those getting some good shooting, fingers crossed things will improve in the Wolds soon..