Lough Neagh duck season opener.

Big Al

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many thanks for showing you video, looks a very nice place to be, in wildfowling terms very plush with the stone hide and lead teathering point. atb

It is quite luxurious! I wouldn't call it wildfowling - I'm one of those awful purist types - it isn't even salt water.

Ted gets as excited as I do when the season comes around and I set up the lead as a precaution. Thankfully I didn't need it. One drawback for the dog is that he can't see and almost every retrieve is blind.

Many thanks for showing you video, looks a very nice place to be, in wildfowling terms very plush with the stone hide and lead teathering point. atb

It is quite luxurious! I wouldn't call it wildfowling - I'm one of those awful purist types - it isn't even salt water.

Ted gets as excited as I do when the season comes around and I set up the lead as a precaution. Thankfully I didn't need it. One drawback for the dog is that he can't see and almost every retrieve is blind.

Very good sport.

Where are those ducks going? Are they flighting inland to feed?

It was a morning flight so the majority were likely going to roost. As well of lots of bays and inlets suitable (especially when it's windy) there are many other smaller loughs rivers and streams a mile or two away. The water level of Lough Neagh is controlled by man and the level has been lowered a number of times in the past 150 years. The exposed land can be a rich wetlands (and farmland.)

Great video, good to see some more evidence of steel killing cleanly at range. Great retrieves too

Thanks. I'm using steel only because the law requires it. I'd rather be using lead though!

Great shooting Big Al, Ted done brilliant for you.

Thanks. Ted is coming along nicely. Edited by Big Al