why is English rugby disliked?

eddoakley

I think it's true to say most Welsh / Irish / Scotish supporters will support two teams, their own and any team opposing England....

Why? Shall we say cultural differences may be

You'd have to be cultured to have a difference :)

Kick and clap!

Take it you're a league fan ...............

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it is for a couple of reasons. The first is the perceived arrogance from the players and coaching staff. Whether it is there or not is up for debate, but some of the players reaction to the Wales defeat (most notably Mike Brown's) demonstrated a lack of sportsmanship and disbelief that they could lose to Wales.

The other reason (and probably the main one) is the media. They persistently over - hype teams, individuals and expectations. And it gets very tiresome for anyone not English ie the rest of the planet.

I'm not trying to start a row, but you did ask.

Signed by an Ulster man,Irish man and someone who spent his early years in Glasgow. (Definitely not English )

Not seen any interviews yet, if there have been any, but let's see if my question (and it was a rhetorical one) should be asked again.

The topic heading is possibly a little misleading as I have plenty of views in why English rugby is disliked, most of them supported by the replies to this thread.

Shame they are out of "their own" world cup. Hahahhahah.

A very happy Welshman!!

Edd

the disrespect of putting Wales in the group of death has come back and kicked the English up the XXX

Not England's fault it was the luck of the draw there was no disrespect it could have happened to anyone it would have been good to have seen both Wales & England go through but maby Wales will meet Scotland but if not they will be up against it against the Boks and like Scoland were today

It wasn't "our own" world cup. We are the host nation. Is that difficult to understand

Not difficult for me but when that's the term used in interviews time and time again then it kind of goes some way to explaining the points made in previous comments!

Edd

As I said the commentary has been so biased it's been laughable, to the point I've watched it with the volume on mute. Arrogant attitude from the England coach, ridiculous apologies post match "we let the fans,nation down. The dressing room won't be a nice place " sp it flipping well should be !

For me the English endured the 60s and 70s the 90s where England's time and by God did they let us know so a little Karmma has come around but some still think they are the dominant northern team, well their not live with it!

Second all this 39 mins of running a game rubbish so train for 39 mins is rubbish England looked tired in the closing minutes of that game they where out of gas IMHO that shows they aren't fit enough.

I go to Twickenham fairly often.

The crowd is genuinely welcoming to visiting teams during the Six Nations. The Scots and Welsh are just plain bitter about everything and the plastic Paddies who materialise a little sad. The French are the best visitors and I'll be cheering them on from now on.

As for hating English rugby, it's an extension of simply hating London and the Home counties generally. However, we understand your pain at coming to the Big Smoke every other year and being envious of your capital city - it must be tough to go back to some Scottish tenement or 100% unemployed Welsh valley and not be bitter.

The crowd is genuinely welcoming to visiting teams during the Six Nations. The Scots and Welsh are just plain bitter about everything and the plastic Paddies who materialise a little sad. The French are the best visitors and I'll be cheering them on from now on.

As for hating English rugby, it's an extension of simply hating London and the Home counties generally. However, we understand your pain at coming to the Big Smoke every other year and being envious of your capital city - it must be tough to go back to some Scottish tenement or 100% unemployed Welsh valley and not be bitter.

I visit London fairly regularly and it is indeed a great city, some fantastic architecture, great shops, restaurants and bars, riddled with petty street crime, desperately unfriendly, so many people struggling to pay extortionate housing prices, either mortgage or rent so there are great swathes of the population that just don't go out. It is polluted, crowded, the people ill mannered and all too often horribly arrogant.

So when it is time to get back on the plane back to my part of Scotland I am delighted to get home after less than an hour of flying, enjoy the 700 acres of mixed young and mature woodland that borders onto my garden and if I walk beyond that Woodland trust area then I have 25q miles of the Fife regional park to enjoy, all wide open space that I can walk freely and not meet a soul all day.

The atmosphere in the admittedly less trendy bars and clubs is much more vibrant because the people are happy and have a few quid in their pockets to spend as they don't have to pay £500/month for a bed under the stairs.

The air is fresh, the traffic is light, the night sky is dark, I have 7 award winning beaches within 30mins, within 60 mins I can be in wide open spaces with top quality shooting, fishing and country pursuits.

The local produce is absolutely brilliant and it is all cheaper and fresher than I would get in London. If I want the feel of a bigger city I just buy a plane ticket, drive the 40 mins to the airport and i can fly to London and enjoy what it has to offer less than 3 hours after closing the door behind me, but then the very best bit, I get to leave all the hustle and bustle behind.

Maybe you're right, maybe I am jealous about the Big Smoke and I just didn't realise it.

Edit, I should have added, I go to Murrayfield fairly often too, the last time I was there was a Scotland v England game, England deservedly won, but I had a great time in the bars before the match, chatting to people at the game and in the bars again afterwards. I have never seen any bitterness at all.

Edited by grrclark

What a load of single fish! Most scots i know and have spoken to all say the same. Its the constant media drivel spouted over and over that ****** evreyone off, even the english fans of rugby and football. Im off to wash the stairs of the closest tenament. Utter tosh

Lol like I said, cultural differences...

I find it a little odd that you'd support France, it doesn't bother me that you do but I get the feeling it's because Wales Ireland Scotland would support each other before supporting England, and you've decided to take offence towards them for that reason... well some news for you... France too tend to go ABE too :lol:

Parts of Northern France are very Celtic, some of the Welsh vocabulary is use in their older language, the relationships of these Celtic countries goes back thousands of years...

I visit London fairly regularly and it is indeed a great city, some fantastic architecture, great shops, restaurants and bars, riddled with petty street crime, desperately unfriendly, so many people struggling to pay extortionate housing prices, either mortgage or rent so there are great swathes of the population that just don't go out. It is polluted, crowded, the people ill mannered and all too often horribly arrogant.

So when it is time to get back on the plane back to my part of Scotland I am delighted to get home after less than an hour of flying, enjoy the 700 acres of mixed young and mature woodland that borders onto my garden and if I walk beyond that Woodland trust area then I have 25q miles of the Fife regional park to enjoy, all wide open space that I can walk freely and not meet a soul all day.

The atmosphere in the admittedly less trendy bars and clubs is much more vibrant because the people are happy and have a few quid in their pockets to spend as they don't have to pay £500/month for a bed under the stairs.

The air is fresh, the traffic is light, the night sky is dark, I have 7 award winning beaches within 30mins, within 60 mins I can be in wide open spaces with top quality shooting, fishing and country pursuits.

The local produce is absolutely brilliant and it is all cheaper and fresher than I would get in London. If I want the feel of a bigger city I just buy a plane ticket, drive the 40 mins to the airport and i can fly to London and enjoy what it has to offer less than 3 hours after closing the door behind me, but then the very best bit, I get to leave all the hustle and bustle behind.

Maybe you're right, maybe I am jealous about the Big Smoke and I just didn't realise it.

Edit, I should have added, I go to Murrayfield fairly often too, the last time I was there was a Scotland v England game, England deservedly won, but I had a great time in the bars before the match, chatting to people at the game and in the bars again afterwards. I have never seen any bitterness at all.

I was going to reply to Flashman, but you have written what I was thnking. In fairness though its best not to feed the troll, he will just come back for more! No maybe that isn't true, he seemed to duck out of my retort on the other thread. Maybe had something to do with his own team being Tam Kite!

Good luck supporting France, I think you will find they hate the English more than Scotland, Wales and Ireland combined. Ever heard of the Auld Alliance?