why is English rugby disliked?

eddoakley

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was going to reply to Flashman, but you have written what I was thnking. In fairness though its best not to feed the troll, he will just come back for more! No maybe that isn't true, he seemed to duck out of my retort on the other thread. Maybe had something to do with his own team being Tam Kite!

Good luck supporting France, I think you will find they hate the English more than Scotland, Wales and Ireland combined. Ever heard of the Auld Alliance?

Flash man is a larf, one thing I noticed was when Wales won and many Englishmen on here were congratulating them on their win, he remained stum, says a lot about the bloke, shame he cant harness his hatred in a more constructive way

Heres hoping for a good game.

Leeds fan here but they have been plum since lifting the cup and maybe the final will be too much.They seem to be running on empty a lot of the time but heres hoping they pull it off.

They do look tired and in the last few matches have not been as dynamic or has as many off loads as a few weeks ago. Still have game changers tho make no doubt about that. Edited by novice cushie shooter

Flash man is a larf, one thing I noticed was when Wales won and many Englishmen on here were congratulating them on their win, he remained stum, says a lot about the bloke, shame he cant harness his hatred in a more constructive way

Hes a harmless lad and good for moral though.

Pah, you can dish it out but don't like a dose of reality back.

As I said, I've seen plenty at Twickenham and the worst losers are the Scots.

And one would think they'd be used to it...

The worst losers that I can remember was the auld enemy, 17 March 1990. The England fans had all had shirts printed in advance with England win the Grand Slam and were selling them outside of Murrayfield, Will Carling was particularly obnoxious, not so unusual, ahead of play.

Oh the England fans were sore that day, sent home with their tails between their legs.

It maybe doesn't happen as often as we would like, but oh how we cheered. There was a pile of freshly printed English jerseys left around the ground too after the game, the message on them was a bit premature and wholly redundant.

Edited by grrclark

Flashman, you're a great wind up merchant but you laid it on a _wee_ bit too thick there.

One thing struck me recently, the anguish the English team/press/supporters(?) went through when they were beaten by Wales

showed a complete lack of respect to the Welsh team. It was as if they'd been beaten by Canada.

Wales are, and always have been a strong side who, on the right day, can beat anyone,

For anyone who felt surprised/gutted/cheated when Wales won, you can shove those chariots where the sun doesn't shine.

For the rest of the English supporters you have my commiserations, your team should have gone further.

If anyone doubts that it is the English media who help put England on and undeserved pedestal explain to me in the Eng v Aussie game,where the Aussies were superb from the scrum,to dominating the loose to midfield skills....How did an English player get man of the match!!!??....England were proper stuffed...I do want a Northern Hemisphere team to do well.......however I think all such hopes must rest on France,the most unpredictable but dangerous underdog.......Ireland were like an english team against Italy...DULL...South Africa were men v boys against the scots...Still good luck to all the remaining home nations it would be great if they progress but none have impressed against tough opponents.

Flashman, you're a great wind up merchant but you laid it on a _wee_ bit too thick there.

One thing struck me recently, the anguish the English team/press/supporters(?) went through when they were beaten by Wales

showed a complete lack of respect to the Welsh team. It was as if they'd been beaten by Canada.

Wales are, and always have been a strong side who, on the right day, can beat anyone,

For anyone who felt surprised/gutted/cheated when Wales won, you can shove those chariots where the sun doesn't shine.

For the rest of the English supporters you have my commiserations, your team should have gone further.

I think you are missing the point. England were in shock after the defeat by Wales. Not because Wales won (it was always predicted to be a close game) but because we threw away a 10 point lead after dominating the first 50 minutes. A good side will not let that happen. That's not arrogance but professionalism.

You find it strange that we were gutted that that happened and that fuels your anti English thinking. We react to your anti English behaviour by supporting other countries. It just goes on.

Good luck anyway but I'm supporting France. They might be as anti English as anybody but at least I can't understand them.

I think you are missing the point. England were in shock after the defeat by Wales. Not because Wales won (it was always predicted to be a close game) but because we threw away a 10 point lead after dominating the first 50 minutes. A good side will not let that happen. That's not arrogance but professionalism.

You find it strange that we were gutted that that happened and that fuels your anti English thinking. We react to your anti English behaviour by supporting other countries. It just goes on.

Good luck anyway but I'm supporting France. They might be as anti English as anybody but at least I can't understand them.

:):):)

Glad England are out . If they could not even beat Wales then no chance of beating the big teams . Not an enjoyable watch and glad I was on night shifts . Arrogance ? Which of your countries does not display nationalism ? Having been in Scotland ,Wales during sporting events I am heartily sick of the dumb hostility and dumbfounded you bother spending £40 on football strips to make a statement to a tourist who made the mistake of falling for your tourist board clap trap and went there .Welcome in the hillside my backside and same north of the border . Sorry for winning something once many years ago . More than you will do I dearly hope . All Blacks any day for the world cup .Fine proud country , having lived and worked there .

After 5 seconds of deliberation on who to support I hope you get similarly spanked . I am not even a serious sports fan . On a personal basis I have no problems with Welsh or Scots ,but as nations however you get my back up at the moment with the toxic stuff you are spouting .

Yeah I think that just about sums it up...

I think it about sums it up too. But possibly for different reasons!

"Not even beat Wales" like Wales are a second tier nation?!?!?! Complete disrespect in one sentence. Just take a look at the world rankings! Now if you had said "not even beat a Welsh side depleted by injury....." then that's a different matter but to assume that England somehow deserve to beat Wales displays the attitude that we have been discussing!

That game was always going to be tight despite Wales unbelievable injury list (and some crazy selection) but the comments about "throwing away a 10 point lead" just wind me and other people up. Wales were never being overrun in that game and stayed within touching distance. 15 or 20 points would maybe be throwing a game away but 10 is not out of sight. 1 try apiece remember. No last minute heroics or interception or anything out of the ordinary. Just a strong dogged performance from some 2nd and 3rd choice players to beat a side devoid of attacking ideas and lacklustre in defence. Would we have been shocked to lose to England? Not at all, even with a full compliment of players. Did the next England game show that all we did was to beat a, at best mediocre side who don't have the attributes of a world cup winning team? It certainly did and as a result Wales would not be expected to beat Australia. But I'm sure the boys will give it their all and I for one can't wait! Much more excitement than playing Uraguy to see who is the poorest team in the group. Hahahahhaha ha

Oh and good luck to the footballists too who have come on in leaps and bounds and are on the verge of making it too a major tournament for the first time. Watch out England we are coming for you I'm that game too very soon!

:-)

Edited by eddoakley

I think it about sums it up too. But possibly for different reasons!

"Not even beat Wales" like Wales are a second tier nation?!?!?! Complete disrespect in one sentence. Just take a look at the world rankings! Now if you had said "not even beat a Welsh side depleted by injury....." then that's a different matter but to assume that England somehow deserve to beat Wales displays the attitude that we have been discussing!

That game was always going to be tight despite Wales unbelievable injury list (and some crazy selection) but the comments about "throwing away a 10 point lead" just wind me and other people up. Wales were never being overrun in that game and stayed within touching distance. 15 or 20 points would maybe be throwing a game away but 10 is not out of sight. 1 try apiece remember. No last minute heroics or interception or anything out of the ordinary. Just a strong dogged performance from some 2nd and 3rd choice players to beat a side devoid of attacking ideas and lacklustre in defence. Would we have been shocked to lose to England? Not at all, even with a full compliment of players. Did the next England game show that all we did was to beat a, at best mediocre side who don't have the attributes of a world cup winning team? It certainly did and as a result Wales would not be expected to beat Australia. But I'm sure the boys will give it their all and I for one can't wait! Much more excitement than playing Uraguy to see who is the poorest team in the group. Hahahahhaha ha

Oh and good luck to the footballists too who have come on in leaps and bounds and are on the verge of making it too a major tournament for the first time. Watch out England we are coming for you I'm that game too very soon!

:-)

Yeah I think we're thinking the same :yes:

_Any_ side coudl lose a 10 point lead with half an hour to go, it's only a converted try and a penalty.

Yet 'England' (press/players/supporters) reacted as if they'd been beaten by Canada.

You find it strange that we were gutted that that happened and that fuels your anti English thinking.

Being gutted is one thing, and expected, the dis-belief is another.

BTW, I don't have any anti-English feeling as such, my granny was a Geordie and I had tears in my eyes when

Wilkinson dropped that goal in 2003!

Because like anything "English" it's deemed racist. You can like Welsh, Scottish, Irish (except Northern Irish because that's deemed racist too), but NOT English :(

It's a sad society we have become

I'd like to see the English football team do well/ win.

_BUT_ the press will ramp up expectations to the point "they're going to win it", then they'll go and do OK, but get knocked out earlier than they should and the whole cycle will start again.

In comparison a NI supported was interviewed and said he's looking forward to going to France to 'have some fun'.

Perhaps if the pressure was taken off the English teams they'd go further?