Cordless SDS

Cosd

Looking at getting a cordless SDS.

The tool is for home use and will be used to do a variety of jobs being I have a whole house to fix up.

Id like to stick to Makita since I've just bought a drill and impact driver with two 4ah batteries, so sticking with Makita means I can buy the body only.

I've seen as well as the normal 18v type, Makita also do 36v using two 18v batteries. I'd like to know whether the extra power justifiies the extra weight.

Does anyone have any experience with cordless SDS any do"s or donts when it comes to choosing one?

Edited by Cosd

Got the 36v makita, great bit of kit apart from the stupid handle which is supposed to reduce vibration, if your using the hammer only action it just pinches your skin as it moves and gives a big bloody blister! Also worth bearing in mind that you won't charge two batteries as quick as this runs them down with constant use when on hammer only

Got the 36v makita, great bit of kit apart from the stupid handle which is supposed to reduce vibration, if your using the hammer only action it just pinches your skin as it moves and gives a big bloody blister! Also worth bearing in mind that you won't charge two batteries as quick as this runs them down with constant use when on hammer only

That's a great point, with the 18v you can have a battery in charge so you always have a battery to use.

That's a great point, with the 18v you can have a battery in charge so you always have a battery to use.

But that's the problem it still doesn't work because starting with two full batteries (unlikely) you use one then put it on charge while you use the second but the second will die before the first is charged, I have eight 4ah batteries but even with them all charged I can get to a point where I'm waiting for them to charge using the 36v kit. I really need to invest in a multi battery charger I suppose!

Silly question, but IF you have somewhere to plug in a charger! WHY go cordless?

I have a Dewalt cordless, and while it's a good bit of kit it can not replace my mains powered drill,

My SDS is a mains powered beast! I use it to break up fence post concrete, drill bore holes in the walls, drill through for cables. The chisel feature is cracking "literally"

If I was to use cordless I would be forever changing batteries!

I use cordless drills and impact drivers a lot. If the job needs an sds drill then it's mains powered. If you need an SDS it's heavier duty work, so you need power. Batteries are OK if you just need to make a hole, but they'll soon go flat if you're doing much with them and the motors aren't as powerful as mains powered ones in the first place. I expect someone will make a cordless core drill sometime, and I expect someone will buy it, but it won't be me!

No idea about the employment status of the Sky guys but if there was ever a need for a decent sds theirs must be it.

I have cordless drills, impact drivers, jig and circular saws and the same in 110v. I've never found a situation where a cordless sds drill would be of any benefit over a 110 one. They are ok for light duty work but even the 5ah batteries don't last that long.

Only reason I have cordless and corded versions of the same tools is 1. Sometimes carrying the transformer and leads is a pain / too many leads etc and 2. I'm a certified tool tart.