Pinks - massive counts

scolopax

The trouble is, some people that I have spoken to in the past think that 100 yards is well in range!

if the geese keep getting shot at on the wash at 100 yrds plus and being shoot off and decoyed on there feeding fields they wil soon **** off like they do ever year. so called wildfowlers just cannot restrain from pulling the trigger, makes proper fowlers sick watching cowboys open up on them. and I don't care who this comment offends.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

fenboy that's why I said self policing members get involved and stop it. And that is the reason we have geese all season on our marsh and the wash loses them by end of November.

You will never get 100% self policing , some people just do not have it in them to confront people and its not always possible to get regestration details etc .

I dont know what part of the wash you are shooting hifly ( an apt name considering :) ) but I only missed one pink last season ( a different story this ) and that was the very last one I shot at on Feb 15th, I would estimate I saw 800+ that day so thats a fair bit after november.

I used to have you down as one of the pigeon watch seems like a decent guy types Nigel , but recently I think you have been going through the mail menopause or something as all we seem to get from you these days is this clap trap .

It is getting pretty tiresome you keep popping up on threads slagging off wildfowlers because they obey the laws that are in place .

I wonder if you think anyone who decides they better had not drink and drive , or speed , or take drugs , or commit robbery etc , etc . etc are goody goodys as they choose to obey the law rather than break it ??

Why don't you save your rants for those on commercial shoots who choose to break the laws by shooting lead on ducks rather than aim them at wildfowlers who obey them ? because it is the former that is going to get lead banned not the later .

Edited by fenboy

My name is to do with a reputation of showing excellent phesants as I am a gamekeeper, I shoot along the bottom of the wash and we did not see any geese along that part after end of november and 800 is not a lot considering the size of the wash, in norfolk we still had 45000 in Feb on a small coastal roost, but you still missed the jist of the conversation anyboby who respects the geese will not take stupid shots at them it just pushes them away they move else where, and I am not getting in to a **** measuring contest with you about how many you / I missed.

My name is to do with a reputation of showing excellent phesants as I am a gamekeeper, I shoot along the bottom of the wash and we did not see any geese along that part after end of november and 800 is not a lot considering the size of the wash, in norfolk we still had 45000 in Feb on a small coastal roost, but you still missed the jist of the conversation anyboby who respects the geese will not take stupid shots at them it just pushes them away they move else where, and I am not getting in to a **** measuring contest with you about how many you / I missed.

I was not attempting to measure my cock against yours I mearly mentioned I could remember the one I missed was the last one I shot at that season so, it was after november , I only had 9 all season so its nothing to boast about is it ? I dare say the 800 I saw were not the only ones still present , the wash is a big place .

I have not missed the gist at all , I 100% agree with you that people that try to shoot 100 yard geese have no respect and that it needs stamping out , I am mearly pointing out it is not as easy to stamp out as you think it should be , and I certainly do not agree on blanket bans of innocent people who just happen to be in a certain area .

I don't necessarily agree with what you say. I don't think high shooting at geese pushes them out of an area any more than shooting at them in range.

I don't necessarily agree with what you say. I don't think high shooting at geese pushes them out of an area any more than shooting at them in range.

I can see the logic in that. What shooting at out of range geese does though is increase the pressure of being shot at. Coupled with a few sensible shots it wouldn't take long to move them on.

if the geese keep getting shot at on the wash at 100 yrds plus and being shoot off and decoyed on there feeding fields they wil soon **** off like they do ever year. so called wildfowlers just cannot restrain from pulling the trigger, makes proper fowlers sick watching cowboys open up on them. and I don't care who this comment offends.

+1

DJ Calls L22. You can get them over here.

http://www.djcalls.com/jzcart/showitem.php?id=4517

Interesting reading all your comments, Ive been out on the marshes 3 times a week for the last 3 weeks shooting at and following pinks, they are here in some numbers, last night I watched about 2000 come down onto a roost where they have been for several days in large numbers, they definitely have not settled in yet as they have been moving daily from one feeding ground to another, we had them on a local marsh for 2 weeks cleaning up beet tops and I managed to bag my first ever pinks, 2 in one session decoying and another on their way back to the roost. but sadly for the last week they have moved onto new feeding sites , I am assured they will settle onto the large grass marsh areas once the cold weather comes but for now we have to be content to watch the numbers grow almost daily and just pick off odd birds below the main skeins , Someone tell me why they need to fly so high, I left my anti aircraft gun at home,

Does anyone have a tip for getting callers to call without locking up, I have two , one cheap and one from some German bloke who reckons its infallible but he didnt reckon on me getting hold of it, I get a couple of calls out of it and it jams up or just squeaks , My duck quacker was £10 off ebay, works fantastic and never jams, I cant wait till we have 80 or 90 thousand pinks around hereat least I might get one or two more before the season ends, thats if the frost bite dosn't get me first. :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

I suspect the main effect of high shooting within moderation is to make the geese more wary and harder to shoot next time. Its likely on the next flight they will be even higher. I have been told that after the end of the last war the British service men stationed in north Germany used to try and get the odd white fronted goose with tommy guns until the birds learnt to stay out of range of them. Excessive high shooting may push the birds elsewhere , but the shooting has to be pretty heavy.

Geese need two important factors to stay in an area. A safe roost and secure feeding grounds. They will take a lot of punishment traveling between these two places , but a good nights sleep and a safe breakfast they must have.

If they dont get it they will move to a quieter place elsewhere.

Edited by anser2

unfortunately this high shooting malarkey will always go on...it is good to self police but some just cannot show restraint...the thing is if no one skybusted then the geese would probably in general fly that bit lower giving more chance of an odd shot and a goose in the bag... on the general concept of high shooting I used to go shooting with someone who regularly shot birds that I wouldn't put my gun up at...if I shot at them and (most probably) missed would I be classed as a high shooter...he shoots and brings them down...is that still high shooting...think to a certain extent one also has to look at ones own capabilities as well...just a thought..

I used to have you down as one of the pigeon watch seems like a decent guy types Nigel , but recently I think you have been going through the mail menopause or something as all we seem to get from you these days is this clap trap .

It is getting pretty tiresome you keep popping up on threads slagging off wildfowlers because they obey the laws that are in place .

I wonder if you think anyone who decides they better had not drink and drive , or speed , or take drugs , or commit robbery etc , etc . etc are goody goodys as they choose to obey the law rather than break it ??

Why don't you save your rants for those on commercial shoots who choose to break the laws by shooting lead on ducks rather than aim them at wildfowlers who obey them ? because it is the former that is going to get lead banned not the later .

Thanks very much for this Ade.

So when and where was the last thread on here about commercial shoots using lead on ducks? I must have missed it because If i had seen it I certainly would not have endorsed such stupid illegal behaviour.

It also gets right up my nose when you get posts from experienced 'fowlers ( #71 to #76 ) on a public forum about 100 yard shots at geese. To my mind this is hideous bad form but it's not technically breaking the law is it.

So it's OK to to maim geese it is? Brush it all under the carpet. These people should be chucked off the marsh for good. The crux of this is that it gives shooting a bad name, that's what I care about.

Thanks very much for this Ade.

So when and where was the last thread on here about commercial shoots using lead on ducks? I must have missed it because If i had seen it I certainly would not have endorsed such stupid illegal behaviour.

It also gets right up my nose when you get posts from experienced 'fowlers ( #71 to #76 ) on a public forum about 100 yard shots at geese. To my mind this is hideous bad form but it's not technically breaking the law is it.

So it's OK to to maim geese it is? Brush it all under the carpet. These people should be chucked off the marsh for good. The crux of this is that it gives shooting a bad name, that's what I care about.

It has been mentioned a number of times on the various steel / lead threads that have popped up on here , the samples of duck found with lead in are coming from game dealers , the vast majority of those duck come from commercial shoots as us wildfowlers really do not shoot that many and most clubs rules prohibit the selling of them , and as you have noted we like to stick to the rules :)

Perhaps a public forum is not the place to discuss such things , but then if it is not discussed who knows we are trying to keep our house in order ?.

I do find it quite strange that people make so much of the high shooting at geese , yet when there is a video of high pheasants put on here they think its wonderful I recall a a video not so long ago where there were pricked birds going off left right and centre yet most thought it was great !

it really does not matter what the target is , if it cannot be cleanly killed it should not be shot at.

I note you have declined to answer if you think drink driving etc is ok , but do me a favour Nigel and stop slating wildfowlers just because they follow the letter of the law.

If a full lead ban does occur what are you going to do stop shooting ? break the law ? or be a hypocrite and use steel ?

Edited by fenboy

Does anyone actually know anyone who admits to shooting at geese more than 80 high?

There was a chap on facebook saying how he shoots 100 yard geese with his 10 bore and aftermarket choke a few weeks ago .

There have also been people on here in the past saying they are shooting them over 100 yards

The truth is that most people would not know what 100 yards looked like without a land mark and I would guess that plenty of those that are shooting out of range really do not think they are doing so .

How many times have you seen someone trying again and again to shoot pigeons out of range , I bet most of us have at some stage , its normally the fact they think they are shooting them at 40 yards when in reality they are much further .

I am against instant bans of offenders , they should be educated and given a warning if they repeat then they should be banned then.

A few years ago there was someone on the Wildfowing Forum reckoning that hevi-shot was good for 90 yards, but I can't remember if they were referring to geese or not.

Hevi shot has the energy to kill geese at that range. The problem is holding a pattern at that range.

There was a chap on facebook saying how he shoots 100 yard geese with his 10 bore and aftermarket choke a few weeks ago .

There have also been people on here in the past saying they are shooting them over 100 yards

The truth is that most people would not know what 100 yards looked like without a land mark and I would guess that plenty of those that are shooting out of range really do not think they are doing so .

How many times have you seen someone trying again and again to shoot pigeons out of range , I bet most of us have at some stage , its normally the fact they think they are shooting them at 40 yards when in reality they are much further .

I am against instant bans of offenders , they should be educated and given a warning if they repeat then they should be banned then.

The same people no doubt tell all who listen that they can manage s*x five times a night, they can drink ten pints without getting drunk, their bank balance has seven figures, their IQ is over 180 and their farts and breath never smell.

Edited by JDog

The same people no doubt tell all who listen that they can manage s*x five times a night, they can drink ten pints without getting drunk, their bank balance has seven figures, their IQ is over 180 and their farts and breath never smell.

Most likely , they would also not likely know what 100 yards looked like if it walked up and punched them on the nose !