best powders for you

no big debate on this chaps if you could go and buy any powder for your carts in the following 12 gauge 20 gauge and28 gauge soon hope fully turn of year 410 and poss 16 gauge what would you buy also add to your commenents single base double base clean dirty winter conditions nothing to do with steel thanks George 07714 323 909

I always used to load my cartridges with Green Dot, I like the traditional feel of the slower powder and its a throw back to the old days of paper grand prix and three crowns from my youth.

ta for that vince any from Europe as there is maxam nobelsport cz explosia and pb Clermont vit costs a fortune to ship due to the distance and another in Slovakia but lets stick to those 4

you see people on pb Clermont I use only 1.25 to 1.30 on the powder 410 for 28 gram giving 385 meters x 2.5 and pressure not exceeding about 550 to 600 bar its a double base ball powder then flattened lovely to measure and very precise but been double based it does leave a bit residue usually little specs but on saying that a good few of you like r c sipe but that's double based I think d base is good for the winter but I do get a few moans on it been a bit dirty

Guest cookoff013

Been using some doozy powders.

12-32g AS. 1200fps limit

12-36g A1

For one oz I'd use something else entirely.

It's the pressure variation that's the killer for most loads.

With limits of 1200fps brings those loads quite economic. And stable pressure.

Whatever you do. Run the powder in its upper payload.

Forget double base /single base. Just get right powder- right application.

If you put this stuff on a pressure barrel you notice it runs consist ant and you can run it high and still pass the s2n.

This reply isn’t an answer to the OP about powders BUT. I just put one of those round tube things in my guns and I pull the trigger; there is a bang and the stuff comes down I am not a cartridge snob. Dirty barrels don’t worry me, as clean barrels don’t kill anything. That’s how it has always been. Now some years ago I bought a 20 bore and so did my friend. Mine was an O/U and he bought an auto. Between us we bought odd boxes of every sort of make of 20 that we could obtain to test out on clays and various game and rough shooting decoying ect. By far the best 20 bore cartridges for just killing and knock down factor out of all of the types that we bought were Rottweil club 20. These had a black plastic case with plaswad. I think that they were 6 -1/2 shot. They weren’t Rottweil tigers. I haven’t seen any for years but if they became available we would buy them because they were so good on everything from rabbit to mallard.

Been using some doozy powders.

12-32g AS. 1200fps limit

12-36g A1

For one oz I'd use something else entirely.

It's the pressure variation that's the killer for most loads.

With limits of 1200fps brings those loads quite economic. And stable pressure.

Whatever you do. Run the powder in its upper payload.

Forget double base /single base. Just get right powder- right application.

If you put this stuff on a pressure barrel you notice it runs consist ant and you can run it high and still pass the s2n.

cooky I always thought a.s. from vectan was ment for 28 gram yes maybe go backwards to say 24 gram but I thought on the info that's about a.s. powder was for 28 gram and the a.1 . was ment for 32 gram so can you please enlighten me thanks george

Guest cookoff013

cooky I always thought a.s. from vectan was ment for 28 gram yes maybe go backwards to say 24 gram but I thought on the info that's about a.s. powder was for 28 gram and the a.1 . was ment for 32 gram so can you please enlighten me thanks george

Noble used to distribute data for AS in 12-70mm and 32g. Infact there have been some loads appear stateside with AS and 1,1/8oz lead. It's the same burn rate and type as reddot. Reddot is a classic 32g powder. Just because Nobel don't recommend A1 for steel but recommended AS? That's FUBAR.

The bad thing with this is 1300fps limit tops (1200) in real money. But the pressure is solid stable - as in serious consistent. The pressure doesn't need to be consistent or does the speed to pass. But at those relatively moderate powder charge s still mean economic. Solid pressure s and quality 1250ish fps.

You see George, quality shells are not speed demons.

Quality shells are fast enough to get there but big enough shot to get there and do damage.

Irony is, loads like this perform well but really restrict what they are good and economic at.

You should have some fun with a pressure gun. Do some development work.

Make loads with 0.5 grain increments. See which load performs at the 1" in. The fps is not penultimate.

The loads at 1200fps and as I describe, upper payload and decent solid pressures perform very well in the cold too.

Guest cookoff013

but every body appears to be speed merchants all I get is fast I like to shoot around 400 x 2.5 meters some of these steel loads what u read about seem unbelievable but never mind thanks george

Yeah George that's the point. Very few manufacturers get quoted speed.

They do extrapolation aka a guess. No the speed steel you read about do do the average but you need to understand that cip still needs to conform with s2n. American loadings are different. As are HP loadings.

Hp-

The manufacturers just hit over the 740 bar limit (741bar +) to use the 1200bar s2n. But at that formulations - hot loads go high at 800-900bar but are very consistent.

I have reloaded in excess of 40 kg of Vectan powders over the years As has been supplied in different types the standard AS which is green and pink diamonds is As 30.

It is also available as AS28 which is the same colour but much quicker ,bikertestace a member on here had this and when we chronographed his load which was the same weight as mine ,his cartridges were about 1500 fps mine were 1225 fps

I also have AS24 which is pink and much faster than the others

If only one powder was available and it was AS 30 I would still be happy

but every body appears to be speed merchants all I get is fast I like to shoot around 400 x 2.5 meters some of these steel loads what u read about seem unbelievable but never mind thanks george

George your supposed to be a proper Englishman talk in English measurements 400 m per sec means nothing to most of us just like 1.35 grams lets have feet per second and grains

George your supposed to be a proper Englishman talk in English measurements 400 m per sec means nothing to most of us just like 1.35 grams lets have feet per second and grains

+1. Imperial measurements all the way, with metric I have to be very careful and check that extra extra time. I mainly use American data anyway but back to the thread I just buy Vectan AS from C&G and use it for lead loads from 3/4 to 1 1/16 oz [21 - 30 gram]. So what is AS 24, AS28, AS 30??? For my Vectan AS I use C&G load data.

Guest cookoff013

+1. Imperial measurements all the way, with metric I have to be very careful and check that extra extra time. I mainly use American data anyway but back to the thread I just buy Vectan AS from C&G and use it for lead loads from 3/4 to 1 1/16 oz [21 - 30 gram]. So what is AS 24, AS28, AS 30??? For my Vectan AS I use C&G load data.

Nothing wrong wit metrics.