Rust protection on an old gun

Wingman

Hi all

I have an old Spanish SxS which is my knock about gun used for rough shooting etc, its in fair condition but I like shooting it. Probably worthless to be honest but I plan to "shoot it into the ground". I have noticed that the barrel exterior has a few rust spots probably from the damp weather and me being not overly anal about cleaning it!

Is there anything people have done to protect older guns from the dreaded rust? I thought about cold bluing the barrels but not read very much positive about that and seems a lot of effort for potentially poor results. Duracoat at 70 odd quick cant be justified, I did look at Krylon paints but that seem to come in weird colours and not sure if its meant for airsoft toys rather that proper guns!

Any tips of hints for a functional make over?

Try Rust oleum matt black stove paint around £9 a can from amazon no priming needed BUT must be totally degreased, Very light coats and in a warm place, (ventilate and use mask) heat the metal with hair dryer or heat gun gently between coats (take the pitting off with wire wool or 1200 grit wet and dry paper)

Edited by impala59

cheapest option would be to paint them, but that's not everyone's cup of tea.

should you wish to do it though,

clean any and all rust off using wire wool, key the whole surface and then give a light coat of etch primer.

gently flat back the etch primer then give it a few coats of gloss or matt black (stove paint works well for a matt finish)

done correctly its easy and gives reasonable durability.

be warned though, matt finish's will absorb a small amount of moisture. make sure they are dried properly if they get wet!

Try Rust oleum matt black stove paint around £9 a can from amazon no priming needed BUT must be totally degreased, Very light coats and in a warm place, (ventilate and use mask) heat the metal with hair dryer or heat gun gently between coats (take the pitting off with wire wool or 1200 grit wet and dry paper)

I second this - very good product.

Is it stored in an unheated room? I have had many years of storing guns in such places and even an old Winchester I had with no remaining finish was never effected if I ensured it was dry before putting it away following a rub down with a WD40 impreganted cloth and a VP90 patch in the cabinet.

I have never used this product and learnt about it on a job I did at a musium that allowed exhibits to be handled by the public, they also stored regalia for some state occasions, they covered firearms swords pikes and other bladed weapons with renaissance wax. one of the curators I talked to used it on his shotgun for fowling. As said I cannot recommend as I have not used it it but it may be worth looking into for future protection of your gun its about £12 per tub.

ATB

Tim

Cheapest solution would be to use a well worn piece of a non scratch pan scouring sponge-use a heavy oil and the rust patches should come away-then simply use the thick oil to prevent further rusting (I use EP90 gearbox oil). Otherwise get a quote to have her reblacked/blued-if you do the Donkey work yourself i.e. rubbing down the tubes, then you might be surprised at how cheaply you can get it done for cash.

I have a similar gun. I scrubbed the barrels with solvent, with an old tooth brush - work of 2 minutes. I used toluene, as i use it in work, available on ebay for pennys.

I then blued the barrels with phillips paste if i remember correctly. I did it 3 times and it is a perfect coat. It looks great, like a gun far younger and is a pleasure to use.

It has now been coated with 3 in 1 oil over the bluing, and just needs a wipe down like my new guns now

Dave